Los Angeles Hotels

mandrews2u

Hi, I had read some info on the board regarding docking in LA and area to book hotel in, and now I cannot locate the info. We sail into LA and are going to spend a couple days there, not sure what we will do yet, maybe spend one day driving up the coast, how far to big sur area, does anyone know?? I want to go on Priceline and bid on hotels but not sure what area would be the coast? Any suggestions? Never been to california coast so looking for nice drive from LA?

Hi, I had read some info on the board regarding docking in LA and area to book hotel in, and now I cannot locate the info. We sail into LA and are going to spend a couple days there, not sure what we will do yet, maybe spend one day driving up the coast, how far to big sur area, does anyone know?? I want to go on Priceline and bid on hotels but not sure what area would be the coast? Any suggestions? Never been to california coast so looking for nice drive from LA?

As far as I know, Princess is still using Cruiseport LA, so you want a hotel in San Pedro - there is a Sheraton and a Marriott, that a lot of the lines use, a little bit nicer hotel at Cabrillo Marina, whose name escapes me now, and a former Comfort Inn, now called the Harborside Hotel, I think, directly across the street from the port. Not as nice, but clean and reasonably priced. Most of the ohter San Pedro hotels are, lets just say, not in a nice area, so be careful if you go with Priceline.

As to the drive to Big Sur, allow 6-8 hours, depending on your touring style, and once you get past LA, from Malibu on up, the Pacific Coast Highway is as beautiful a drive as you will ever take.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have always wanted to drive the west coast, been up and down the east coast for 30 years, really ready to see some of California's coast. I love driving so thats no problem, just hope I can look and drive at the same time, ha,ha. The areas that Priceline lets you choose from are the following, I guess I would choose Redondo - Manhattan Beaches or Santa Monica & Marina Del Rey area to bid, does that sound right? Also do you know if there is a rental car place at the port where Princess docks?

Beverly Hills - West Hollywood –

Brentwood - Westwood –

Culver City

Downtown Los Angeles

Hollywood

Lawndale

Los Angeles Airport

Redondo - Manhattan Beaches

Santa Monica & Marina Del Rey

Thanks, Mary-ellen

For Priceline, you want to select San Pedro or Long Beach. Manhattan Beach, Marina del Rey, and Santa Monica are too far (IMHO) from the terminal. We stayed at the DoubleTree in San Pedro, near Cabrillo Beach, which was very nice and convenient.

I'd suggest staying at the Queen Mary hotel there in Long Beach. She's close to the port and I believe has a shuttle that will take you over to the cruise ship. 'Google' the Queen Mary as they have a website that might offer more info.

Happy Cruzin'

For Priceline, you want to select San Pedro or Long Beach. Manhattan Beach, Marina del Rey, and Santa Monica are too far (IMHO) from the terminal. We stayed at the DoubleTree in San Pedro, near Cabrillo Beach, which was very nice and convenient.

If your cruise is over, there is no reason to stay in San Pedro. Most hotels in Manhattan Beach are not on the ocean but inland. Redondo has the Sunrise (more motel like), Crowne Plaza or Portofino Hotels which are across from or within the harbor. One can rent bikes for the bike path or visit the Redondo pier. Redondo Beach however, is not freeway close (15 minute drive to freeway).

I was surprised by the estimated time given for driving to the Big Sur area of the coastline. That estimate is good for the drive once you get to the starting point. But you have to drive about 4 hours from the South Bay area before ever get to start that portion of the coastline. You can not drive the Big Sur coast and back in the same day from LA. It's beautiful scenery but should be planned as a one way trip to San Francisco or Monterey.

Rent a car (Enterprise is by the pier) and drive to Santa Barbara or San Diego and spend the night...or two! They both offer beautiful coastal activities and tons of things to see. The traffic is a bit worse for the San Diego trip....timing is very important but you can stop in Newport, Laguana, and Carlsbad. Santa Barbara is beautiful and you can even visit a few wineries a bit further north. Big Sur is too far and the road is slow going to get there. That is a good side trip from San Francisco.

I would choose the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro or a hotel in Long Beach.

I think some responders are confused ... sounds like your cruise ENDS in LA, rather than begins. If that's the case, there is an Enterprise rent-a-car across from the dock. You can get a car and go anywhere, so a hotel in Santa Monica, Santa Barbara or even in Monterrey (6 or so hours) are all within reach, esp. if you're willing to pay a drop-off charge to Enterprise. If you opt for Manhattan / Redondo Beach, you're still going to be pretty far south. If you want to use another car rental agency, you can go to LAX or Long Beach airport as well.

Hope that helps some. Of course, you could always hop on Southwest fly to San Fran for the night and drive back down the Coast during the next day or two (assuming you are flying out of LAX back to the East Coast). If you're taking the freeway, you can drive from that area in a (LONG) day with few stops ... but if you want the scenic route along the coast, you're going to have to allow 2 days to get back to the LA area.

I do agree with pvmeistrel ... about as far as you could get and return in a day would be Santa Barbara .. and THAT would be pushing it, not leaving much time in SB.

Pvmeistrel is right about the drive time....getting thru LA can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the time of day and day of the week. I usually start from north of the city, and forget about that part. I do agree, if you are ending up in LA, there is no reason to stay in San Pedro. Or Long Beach. While it is just THAT far away on the map, it is actually quite a drive. Look north, like Santa Monica for a hotel, and start your coast drive from there, next day.

If you want a hotel near the port in San Pedro/Long Beach, I can recommend the Hyatt Long Beach. They have senior rates, $140, and will provide you with a harbour view overlooking the Queen Mary if you ask for it. Lots of reataurants in the area. Less than 10 minutes from the docking area.

As far as I know, Princess is still using Cruiseport LA, so you want a hotel in San Pedro - there is a Sheraton and a Marriott, that a lot of the lines use, a little bit nicer hotel at Cabrillo Marina, whose name escapes me now, and a former Comfort Inn, now called the Harborside Hotel, I think, directly across the street from the port. Not as nice, but clean and reasonably priced. Most of the ohter San Pedro hotels are, lets just say, not in a nice area, so be careful if you go with Priceline.

As to the drive to Big Sur, allow 6-8 hours, depending on your touring style, and once you get past LA, from Malibu on up, the Pacific Coast Highway is as beautiful a drive as you will ever take.

Going t Big Sur on 101 should be at least a two and more likely 3 day trip. Yes, you can get to Monterey from LA (if the traffic is cooperative) in 6 hours, but that is is taking 5 to the Central Valley and cutting over to 101, not going up Hwy 1 (the scenic route). You won't be driving 65 mph (much less the 85 more common on Hwy 5) past San Luis Obispo on Hwy 1, and there is a lot to do and see...both along the way and once you get to Monterey.

If you really want to see the Big Sur, plan to rent a car immediately after disembarking (either from Enterprise or at the Long Beach Airport which is about a 10 minute cab ride), and drive straight to either Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo to stay the night. From there, take another day to drive from there to Monterey on Hwy 1. You could include Hearst Castle if you do this. Then plan to stay in Montery at least one day...drive the 17 mile drive, go to the Aquarium, sit and watch the sea otters at Pt. Lobos. You can then drive back the fast (less scenic) way through Salinas and then down 101, then cut over to Hwy 5 at Paso Robles....or drive on to San Francisco or San Jose and fly home from there.

Alternatively, just plan to see Southern CA. You could drive from the port to Newport and drive down the coast from there to spend the night in Laguna and walk on the beach and do some gallery shopping there. Then drive down to San Diego using PCH whenever possible (except through Camp Pendelton) and take in the Zoo and some of our other attractions before heading back up to LA to fly home.

Be careful, now. there is not A San Pedro/Long Beach port. There is Cruiseport LA, and there is the Port of Long Beach facility owned by Carnival. All Carnival ships, and a very few of her sister company ships use the Long Beach Port. All other ships, including lines owned by Carnival Corp use Cruiseport LA. And like I said, they are only a half-inch apart on the map, but using roads, with traffic, are a half-hour or so apart

Going t Big Sur on 101 should be at least a two and more likely 3 day trip. Yes, you can get to Monterey from LA (if the traffic is cooperative) in 6 hours, but that is is taking 5 to the Central Valley and cutting over to 101, not going up Hwy 1 (the scenic route). You won't be driving 65 mph (much less the 85 more common on Hwy 5) past San Luis Obispo on Hwy 1, and there is a lot to do and see...both along the way and once you get to Monterey.

If you really want to see the Big Sur, plan to rent a car immediately after disembarking (either from Enterprise or at the Long Beach Airport which is about a 10 minute cab ride), and drive straight to either Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo to stay the night. From there, take another day to drive from there to Monterey on Hwy 1. You could include Hearst Castle if you do this. Then plan to stay in Montery at least one day...drive the 17 mile drive, go to the Aquarium, sit and watch the sea otters at Pt. Lobos. You can then drive back the fast (less scenic) way through Salinas and then down 101, then cut over to Hwy 5 at Paso Robles....or drive on to San Francisco or San Jose and fly home from there.

Alternatively, just plan to see Southern CA. You could drive from the port to Newport and drive down the coast from there to spend the night in Laguna and walk on the beach and do some gallery shopping there. Then drive down to San Diego using PCH whenever possible (except through Camp Pendelton) and take in the Zoo and some of our other attractions before heading back up to LA to fly home.

Once again - Splinter is giving great advice... I live north of Monterey and we love the area. Actually, next week we are driving south to Solvang for a few days and touring at Hearst Castle on the way back. If we had another day down there, I would go to Santa Barbara for the day.

Big Sur is a beautiful drive... we will be near Lucia this summer for a camping trip. If you have the time, enjoy the area...

Sorry, but I'm confused about "Cruiseport LA". What is that?

Sorry' date=' but I'm confused about "Cruiseport LA". What is that?[/quote']

There are two separate major ports, Long Beach and Los Angeles Harbor, that are side by side. Cruiseport LA is the dock for the cruise ships in Los Angeles Harbor. It is located next to the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro. You can search on Swinford St, San Pedro, CA on mapquest and select the aerial view. You'll see a cruise ship at the dock.

There are two separate major ports, Long Beach and Los Angeles Harbor, that are side by side. Cruiseport LA is the dock for the cruise ships in Los Angeles Harbor. It is located next to the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro. You can search on Swinford St, San Pedro, CA on mapquest and select the aerial view. You'll see a cruise ship at the dock.

Is this something new? Everytime we've sailed out of the San Pedro port, it's called the World Cruise Center. Never heard of it being called Cruiseport LA and even checked the Port of LA site tonight and didn't see this term. When I googled it, the only hit was some hotel comparison website.

Thanks Everyone for all the great suggestions, I had no idea time wise for drive up to Big Sur as I have NEVER been to California, always wanted to which is how we ended up on this cruise. We originally were going to use our free skymiles and try to spend a 10 days seeing california then we had trouble getting dates we could travel so saw this great deal on the cruise then got air tickets to fit the cruise. Yes we are sailing into LA from Vancouver. We arrive in Port Saturday Sept 29th at 7am, so we figure we should be off the ship by 9:30 or so, then we do not fly out of LA airport until Monday Oct 1st at noon, so basically we have almost 2 1/ 2 days. So guess we will pick up a car immediately, start driving north and play it by ear, is it hard to just get a room without booking ahead? I do not know if your season is the summer or when ?

Thanks Everyone for all the great suggestions, I had no idea time wise for drive up to Big Sur as I have NEVER been to California, always wanted to which is how we ended up on this cruise. We originally were going to use our free skymiles and try to spend a 10 days seeing california then we had trouble getting dates we could travel so saw this great deal on the cruise then got air tickets to fit the cruise. Yes we are sailing into LA from Vancouver. We arrive in Port Saturday Sept 29th at 7am, so we figure we should be off the ship by 9:30 or so, then we do not fly out of LA airport until Monday Oct 1st at noon, so basically we have almost 2 1/ 2 days. So guess we will pick up a car immediately, start driving north and play it by ear, is it hard to just get a room without booking ahead? I do not know if your season is the summer or when ?

That is early fall here, but since you will be here for a weekend, I would strongly recommend reservations. There are some lovely bed & breakfast places in Santa Barbara (but not cheap), and many hotel and motel options. Once you get past Morro Bay on Hwy. 1 options go down, but Cambria is a lovely town, and there are again many options (including some nice B&Bs) in the Monterey and Carmel area.

I need to get a good map of the California coast so I can see specifically where these towns lie, how far is santa Barbara, Cambria, Monterey and Carmel from LA?Cambria sounds nice. From the Princess Port in LA is it a long drive to get to the Coastal HWY?We Could just do stuff in LA but I like pretty scenery. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, very appreciated.

Archived