recommendations for Lisbon, Brest, Vigo and La Rochelle

hollyanna

Of those ports you have listed, I have only been to Lisbon (2 or 3 times).

Last time there, 8-02, I struck off on my own, rather than taking a guided ship's excursion.

At the main plaza opposite the Customs House, there is a streetcar/trolley/tram line that covers much of the inner city. They had headsets and a running commentary in several languages, and I found it an enjoyable way to kill a couple of hours, off my feet, and see the city highlights.

I don't recall the price, but I think it was reasonable.

Vigo is quite a large town, plenty of shops. Easy to walk for a couple of hours. If you want to go further, there are plenty of posts explaining how to by public transport. La Rochelle is a pretty town,easy to do on your own. Shuttle bus from port took about 30 minutes.

Agree about La Rochelle. You should be moored alongside. There was a drop off in town near the centre. We were there on a Sunday. Many shops and market were open but everything was starting to shut down at midday and closed at 1 pm.

The Market was an eye opener. We have been to France many times but we saw fruit and veg there that we had never seen before or certainly not that size.

All these places are very doable on your own and there is no desperate need to do a tour if you don't want to.

Vigo - ship berths fairly close to town. It's a typical Spanish City with shops, restaurants, parks and a very interesting but surreal Museum of Modern Art which is certainly different.(to the left in the city) It's a fairly easy walk from the ship but the city is a little hilly. Lots of nice cafes to people watch. The old fish market (to the right) is interesting as are the oyster stalls set up near the port.However, from Vigo one of the highlights is the trip to Santiago - you may want to do that one.

Lisbon - depending on where your ship docks you will need a shuttle bus into town. The shuttles usuually drop you off in one of the main squares by the waterfront "Plaza de Commercio" also known as Blackhorse Square owing to the statue in the middle of it. From here you could take the RED Tourist Tram around the city - it leaves every 30mins on the half hour and on the hour. Pay on the tram and you get an amazing sight seeing tour of Lisbon complete with commentary. Or if you prefer, Lisbon is walkable, but again can be very hilly and you have to take great care of trams in every direction. Excellent shopping if like shopping etc. Lovely old Cathedral of Saint Antony - again very walkable from the centre. (head to the right away from the main square.)

La Rochelle - will need to take shuttle into town but the town centre is fantastic. Lovely marina and restaurants along the front and little alleys and sidestreets to get lost in. Many cafes selling pancakes and cider - the local delicacies.(recommended.) Lots of tiny boutiques selling perfumes - typically French. A lovely place.

Brest is an ordinary French town with not a great deal to see. There is a very good aquarium and plenty of shops. The local traders put on a round town shuttle bus which is a good idea and it stops at all of the places of interest.

Have fun,

Thank you all so very much for all your advice.... I will consider this carefully! I thought La Rochelle looked doable on your own. I assume P & O provide a free shuttle as usual to all these main towns?? I am considering Vigo to the village and tapas at the yaght club? Anyone been? I fancy the tram ride I have to say in Lisbon. Sounds amazing. Thanks again.

Monacled Mutineer... I will search that restaurant out! Thank you.

Hollyanna

Was in Lisbon last May (06) Did the old tram ride around the city - 2hrs about 20e each. Try the Lisbon tarts - deep filled custard tarts made with flakey pastry -yum about 80 cents.

photos on : www.sveale.photosite.com

Sue

Hi Sue, All I can say is if I have half as much fun as you and your hubby look to be having in those ( brilliant) pictures, I will be more than happy. Many thanks for showing. Any advice regarding Lisbon, would be gratefully accepted.

Dear Hollyanna enjoy your cruise.Don't know about Brest haven't been but have been to the other three

Vigo,would agree nice cafes and shops they even have C&A still!!Also nice Church to pop into at beginning of main shopping street.There is a nice beach at Samil which is not far away.

La Rochelle,we've been twice and the harbour part of town is beautiful with lovely cafes they also have a lovely aquarium see:

http://www.aquarium-larochelle.com/index.php?id_site=2&PHPSESSID=1020e806e1750f07495703e49ae4d1c9

Because we had already been to La Rochelle when we went a week ago we went to the next resort Chataillon Plage which had a very cheap(4 Euros) but very good water park

http://www.centre-aquatique.com/

Lisbon is one of my favourite cities very hot but beautiful there is a lovely square Rossio Square:

http://www.strawberryworld-lisbon.com/lisbon/places/rossio.html

I'd also recommend the tram ride a welcome respite from tramping round in the heat and a good way to see things as is the tower or lift at:

Santa Justa(very central) a brilliant way to see the city.

http://www.strawberryworld-lisbon.com/lisbon/places/elevador-santa-justa.html

This site has lots of useful info on Lisbon.

I'd also recommend the custard tarts called Pasteis de Nata.We bought some to take back on board but scoffed them all!!

Dear Hollyanna enjoy your cruise.Don't know about Brest haven't been but have been to the other three

Vigo,would agree nice cafes and shops they even have C&A still!!Also nice Church to pop into at beginning of main shopping street.There is a nice beach at Samil which is not far away.

La Rochelle,we've been twice and the harbour part of town is beautiful with lovely cafes they also have a lovely aquarium see:

http://www.aquarium-larochelle.com/index.php?id_site=2&PHPSESSID=1020e806e1750f07495703e49ae4d1c9

Because we had already been to La Rochelle when we went a week ago we went to the next resort Chataillon Plage which had a very cheap(4 Euros) but very good water park

http://www.centre-aquatique.com/

Lisbon is one of my favourite cities very hot but beautiful there is a lovely square Rossio Square:

http://www.strawberryworld-lisbon.com/lisbon/places/rossio.html

I'd also recommend the tram ride a welcome respite from tramping round in the heat and a good way to see things as is the tower or lift at:

Santa Justa(very central) a brilliant way to see the city.

http://www.strawberryworld-lisbon.com/lisbon/places/elevador-santa-justa.html

This site has lots of useful info on Lisbon.

I'd also recommend the custard tarts called Pasteis de Nata.We bought some to take back on board but scoffed them all!!

Hi Philhar, hope you don't mind me joining in, what you have written in your reply to hollyanna , i have found extremely helpful being as we are also sailing on the Oriana re:- Iberian Sojourn for 7 days on September the 1st. Having never visited any of these places before as this will be (my 1st cruise):) your help will prove most useful indeed. I have to say the tarts sound very tempting....:D .I am really looking forward to our visit to Lisbon.

Any other advice offered regarding any of these stops mentioned will be gratefully accepted. I have looked on various web sites but have to say that reading your post helped me much more. Many thanks

Hi Philhar, hope you don't mind me joining in, what you have written in your reply to hollyanna , i have found extremely helpful being as we are also sailing on the Oriana re:- Iberian Sojourn for 7 days on September the 1st. Having never visited any of these places before as this will be (my 1st cruise):) your help will prove most useful indeed. I have to say the tarts sound very tempting....:D .I am really looking forward to our visit to Lisbon.

Any other advice offered regarding any of these stops mentioned will be gratefully accepted. I have looked on various web sites but have to say that reading your post helped me much more. Many thanks

It's a pleasure!I have benefited greatly in my planning cruises stops from Cruise Critic and other boards like Cruise Connections Crow's nest Cruise Chat and Cruisers say.Have a great time!

It's a pleasure!I have benefited greatly in my planning cruises stops from Cruise Critic and other boards like Cruise Connections Crow's nest Cruise Chat and Cruisers say.Have a great time!

I personally did not see any 'Lisbon Tarts'

I did see some chaps selling watches, gold chains and sun glasses from carrier bags and under their coats.:D:D.

Perhaps I should look more closely for the 'Tarts':D

Happy Cruising

:cool:

Dai

Ohhh have I got the wrong 'Tarts':cool:

• 1 year later...
Do P&O provide shuttle buses into town (Lisbon) as we thought we do this by ourselves.

Shuttle buses are provided.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived