Walking to Fort Taylor State Park and beach

Eileen G

On our last stop in Key West we decided to walk to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Our cruise ship was at B dock. It was a cool day so it was an easy 30 min. walk. As you leave the dock keep going straight between the buildings. There will be a parking garage on the left and the Hyatt on the right. At the end of the road where it goes left take a right into a small park and through a gate. This will take you into the Truman Complex. Continue walking down the street past the little Whitehouse. When you come to the end of the road you take a right on to Southard St. Go half a block and you will see a sign to Fort Taylor State Park and beach. Go to the left to the entrance station where you will have to pay 1.50$ PP to enter. If you stay straight ahead on Southard you will come to the new Eco-Discovery Center. This is a free museum with hands on exhibits. It is open Tues-Sat, 9-4. We were there on Mon. so we didn’t get to go in. After you enter the State Park you will still have about a five min. walk. The fort will be on your right. There are tours at 12 and 2. There is a self guiding tour at the first info stand. If you continue on the road the beach is just ahead on the left. This is a nice beach with lounges for rent and a nice snack bar. They also rent snorkel gear. There are a lot of picnic tables under the trees. They have just replenished the beach so the sand was very nice. On the way back to town you might want to continue on Southard until you get to Whitehead St. or Duval St. and take a left. Either will take you back to the dock area.

If you are at the Mallory Square dock just walk up Duval St. until you get to Southard St.

If you are at the outer mole dock you can ask the tram driver to drop you off at the beach.

901076827_radiance009.jpg.3e2ed1e7c98a0227e8f6f05efa89eb1a.jpg

936726438_radiance010.jpg.15e5f9f19d05a04f156477a6787a8ae2.jpg

1597824580_radiance011.jpg.bcb1d797fa7f7af4731ad5e8bbd05b94.jpg

1907089216_radiance013.jpg.16e47bfe06878307c85867c138a3b3d9.jpg

592717986_radiance014.jpg.1e4edbbc9cecb209403f1fa39cd8a516.jpg

On our last stop in Key West we decided to walk to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. Our cruise ship was at B dock. It was a cool day so it was an easy 30 min. walk. As you leave the dock keep going straight between the buildings. There will be a parking garage on the left and the Hyatt on the right. At the end of the road where it goes left take a right into a small park and through a gate. This will take you into the Truman Complex. Continue walking down the street past the little Whitehouse. When you come to the end of the road you take a right on to Southard St. Go half a block and you will see a sign to Fort Taylor State Park and beach. Go to the left to the entrance station where you will have to pay 1.50$ PP to enter. If you stay straight ahead on Southard you will come to the new Eco-Discovery Center. This is a free museum with hands on exhibits. It is open Tues-Sat, 9-4. We were there on Mon. so we didn’t get to go in. After you enter the State Park you will still have about a five min. walk. The fort will be on your right. There are tours at 12 and 2. There is a self guiding tour at the first info stand. If you continue on the road the beach is just ahead on the left. This is a nice beach with lounges for rent and a nice snack bar. They also rent snorkel gear. There are a lot of picnic tables under the trees. They have just replenished the beach so the sand was very nice. On the way back to town you might want to continue on Southard until you get to Whitehead St. or Duval St. and take a left. Either will take you back to the dock area.

If you are at the Mallory Square dock just walk up Duval St. until you get to Southard St.

If you are at the outer mole dock you can ask the tram driver to drop you off at the beach.

Hey! Thanks for the post. I am going to be there on Feb 11. Did you eat any of the food? I haven't decided if I want to eat lunch there? Did they have restrooms there? Did you take a tour? Do you know how long they last? Any other info you have about Ft Zachary is much appreciated! Thank you!

singjenn, We did not eat there so I don't know how the food is. There are restrooms and showers. We did not take the fort tour this trip because we left at 2 but we have taken it in the past. I would think it was about an hour. The fort is not real big but the history is very interesting. A few threads back someone posted the menu and prices.

NJBill, The closest beach is Simonton beach at the end of Simonton St but it is small and the last time we walked by there there were some homeless people hanging out. It is not a very nice beach and there are no amenities. Other than that I think Fort Taylor is the closest. There is also a pretty decent beach at the end of Duval St but the swimming didn't look good the last time we were there.I think that is a bit further and not as nice as Fort Taylor. How good the swimming is depends on what direction the wind is blowing.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been several years since we snorkled at fort Taylor beach. There is no reef just a few beach breaks of large rocks out in the water. You will see colorful fish and anything that has been able to grow on the rocks.

We have been to Key West 2 times and I believe that Fort Taylor would be the closest and best beach to the cruise pier. the first time we were there the water was quite calm and snorkeling was good the rocks (submerged sea wall?) had lots of large parrotfish around it and other smaller fish as well. not as much to see as at the coral reefs off shore but if you like seeing the fish and not being far from shore it's pretty good. it is a bit rough on your feet getting in but sandy further up. lots of picnic tables under the trees and a snack bar (didn't eat there) Second time we were there it was rough and windy too murky to see to snorkel but still had fun body surfing on the waves and wandering around the shore and fort. Don't miss a walk down Duval St. so much to see!!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the info. I have been wondering if I could walk to teh beach and it sounds very easily done! :) While you were walking to the beach, did you notice any places to rent a scooter or moped? My boyfriend wants to rent a moped and I would really like to relax on the beach. It would be nice if he could rent him moped somewhere close to the beach.

Thanks for the info!

Thank you so much for the info. I have been wondering if I could walk to teh beach and it sounds very easily done! :) While you were walking to the beach, did you notice any places to rent a scooter or moped? My boyfriend wants to rent a moped and I would really like to relax on the beach. It would be nice if he could rent him moped somewhere close to the beach.

Thanks for the info!

These people are the most reputable in town and have a toll free number.

http://www.mopedhospital.com/

Mike:)

• 8 months later...

Thank you so much Eileen for this wonderful very informative posting. I enjoyed your pictures of the beach as I read in another thread that the beaches in Key West is not all that great. Seeing your pics have convinced me that on a hot sunny day, this will be a great place to spend a few hours.

In doing research on what to do on our cruise day in Key West, I so far have found these to add to this great thread.

Map showing cruise docks : http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=flkw

Fort Zachary Taylor is scenic and peacefull quiet

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

EcoDiscoveryCenter :

http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/news/fea...ecocenter.html

A beautiful and well done exhibit and best of all, it is free.The film shown in their theatre is very educational and beautifully done.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the cost of rentals. I saw that snorkel equipment was available for rent. We will be in KW with 11 children under the age of 16. I have considered a day at the shipwreck museum, pirates soul musuem and the aquarium. Fort Zach may be a cheaper way to go- just wanted to see what some of the fees are and what exactly is available.

Archived