Think the Fuel Charge is bad check this out....

deborahjo

How long do you think it will take the other airlines to jump on this.

Remember when Carnival was the first to start charging a fuel charge? What was it? A week? before all the other lines jumped in?

I saw this coming. They have to do something. But at least there are ways around this added charge, unlike the fuel charge on the cruise lines.

Southwest started it actually

Baggage Allowance: Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.

Excess Baggage: Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece.

Southwest started it actually

Baggage Allowance: Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.

Excess Baggage: Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece.

At least Southwest will let you have 2 bags for free. United is only allowing one (1) for free then the 25.00 charge is incurred....

At least Southwest will let you have 2 bags for free. United is only allowing one (1) for free then the 25.00 charge is incurred....

The standard with most (all?) of the airlines has been two checked bags per passenger free and a charge for the 3rd, 4th, etc. United now has cut that to one and like someone mentioned, the other airlines will likely follow. :mad:

The standard with most (all?) of the airlines has been two checked bags per passenger free and a charge for the 3rd, 4th, etc. United now has cut that to one and like someone mentioned, the other airlines will likely follow. :mad:

Several Europe based airlines have been doing this for a while. United is just copying them.

I know usually most airlines did allow 2 and then charging. That is why I never checked more then 2. It is just the restrictions are getting rediculious now days.

I am a diabetic. I am allowed to carry a bottle of water and small amounts of food with me thru security screenings but it depends on the person doing the scanning. It is just that things are crazy with all the travel regulations in place. One of the worst things is what is good here at DIA may not be good in Miami or Dallas.

They already dropped the weight allowance, it used to be 70lbs, now it is 50.

Some of the cheap airlines already charge you. Spirit charges $5.00 per bag right now.

I wish they would stop with the liquid restrictions. That is why I usually check my bag in the first place.

They already dropped the weight allowance, it used to be 70lbs, now it is 50.

Some of the cheap airlines already charge you. Spirit charges $5.00 per bag right now.

I wish they would stop with the liquid restrictions. That is why I usually check my bag in the first place.

5.00 per bag wouldn't be too bad ... oh well, I guess we have the choice to fly or not fly and they can do what they please. But it kinda sucks, can't imagine trying to pack my stuff in less than 2 bags. Scary actually!!! :D

Southwest until VERY recently allowed you 3 checked bags with no additional charge... now they are allowing only 2, so hopefully they will stick with that... I understand the need, and it will force me to stop overpacking :D

Southwest until VERY recently allowed you 3 checked bags with no additional charge... now they are allowing only 2, so hopefully they will stick with that... I understand the need, and it will force me to stop overpacking :D

I flew Southwest on December 22 and took three bags with me (even the outside check-in had to check that I was allowed three; seems that most people ASSUMED 2 was the limit), and right after, I receivied notice it had changed to 2. One of my bags weighed 49.5 lb and believe me, they weighed it. I wouldn't mind knowingly choosing to pay for extra bag; I hate the idea of paying for a pound or two by surprise.

What I expect to see is more people craming as much as they can into their carry on bags. Instead of half the plane stowing their "barely make it" carry on bag overhead you will see more and more people using this to bring more with them. Normally our family of 4 brings 2 small bags on board that usually hold things we will use on the plane or valuables such as the camera. Nothing is ever put in the over head storage. According to United this is only going to affect the less than 25% of it's customers. I've never flown United but I wouldn't hesitate to book them if they offered the flights I wanted at the best price available.

Even if I had one bag over it is still cheaper than paying $5.00 pp/pd X2 for an 8 day cruise! So no, in the context of the original tagline, I don't think it is worse than the fuel surcharge! When we flew to Maui, we bought almost zero garbage while there and what we did purchase went in the carry on bag. That same checked bag with the same stuff in it was not overweight when we left SAN, but was somehow overweight when we left Maui. They wanted me to stop right then and repack our bags, in the terminal while holding everyone up in the line. I was so ticked off by the attitude I asked how much the "fine" was for an overweight bag. As I recall it was something like $25.00. I handed her my card and she didn't want to take it. I told her I wasn't about to start pulling dirty socks out in front of God and everybody so she was just gonna have to charge the extra. She was actually ticked by this but finally, after I refused repeatedly did so. At that point it was a matter of principal. I wasn't going to let them dictate the terms. I boarded that plane with a smile! Of course the smile was quickly washed away after the screaming kid sat down next row back, but that is another story!

Even if I had one bag over it is still cheaper than paying $5.00 pp/pd X2 for an 8 day cruise! So no, in the context of the original tagline, I don't think it is worse than the fuel surcharge! When we flew to Maui, we bought almost zero garbage while there and what we did purchase went in the carry on bag. That same checked bag with the same stuff in it was not overweight when we left SAN, but was somehow overweight when we left Maui. They wanted me to stop right then and repack our bags, in the terminal while holding everyone up in the line. I was so ticked off by the attitude I asked how much the "fine" was for an overweight bag. As I recall it was something like $25.00. I handed her my card and she didn't want to take it. I told her I wasn't about to start pulling dirty socks out in front of God and everybody so she was just gonna have to charge the extra. She was actually ticked by this but finally, after I refused repeatedly did so. At that point it was a matter of principal. I wasn't going to let them dictate the terms. I boarded that plane with a smile! Of course the smile was quickly washed away after the screaming kid sat down next row back, but that is another story!

You are right... it is cheaper.... if you don't fly home :p:p:p

United will now start charging $25.00 per bag for every bag after the first one. If I could link I would. Is on the front of MSN Home Page. This really sucks.

Although this might sound shocking and unfair, There are already several airlines in the USA charging for checked luggage. Also, if you look at airlines in Europe, you will find MANY airlines already charge for extras that used to be free. The USA is just playing catchup on a worldwide trend.

20 years ago, if someone had told you that you would be paying extra for your soda, food, blanket, pillow, movie, or checked bags, you probably would've thought that they were insane. Today, it has just become the way the game is played, and I believe that the trend will continue in that direction...

Archived