Car Service, LHR To Harwich

kitty9

I'm looking for a car service that can take three of us, two disabled, and our luggage, five pieces, from LHR to Harwich for our upcoming Celebrity cruise. I used to have a wonder service, but I've sent three emails and received no response, so I'm thinking he may no longer be in the business. Because of our situation, neither the Tube nor the train are viable options.

Haven't used Adelphi yet; but we have arranged pick up at LHR to Harwich in June. The quote was 150£ for 3 of us. Don't know if you require handicap van; but it might be worth investigating. Darren has been so nice w/ e-mails. Regularly checks in to let us know that he's still looking forward to meeting us in a few months.

http://www.adelphiexecutivehire.co.uk

Do contact Darren at Adelphi (see prior post).

We were the first to mention him on these boards after our trip a couple of years ago. Terrific - and that's all we hear about him from people who've posted since.

Have a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...
Do contact Darren at Adelphi (see prior post).We were the first to mention him on these boards after our trip a couple of years ago.* Terrific - and that's all we hear about him from people who've posted since.Have a great trip!
Although we don't cruise until June, based on my contacts with Darren, I feel confident we have made a great choice for our transportation to and from Harwich. We had originally booked transportation from Gatwick to London on May 31st.But due to a change in flights we had to cancel that leg from airport to hotel, leaving Darren without a booking on the 31st. But he was gracious enough to hold to the original quote made almost a year ago for the port transportation. Also very quick to respond to emails.

I booked with airport to cruise transfers that was recommended on one of the cruise critic sites. Julie seems great to work with and their prices were better than any that I checked out. I am paying 132 pounds for the 2 of us to go from Heathrow to Harwich.

• 5 months later...

the second best part of cruising is the prior planning. We are looking at a Transatlantic for fall of 2010. The 2009 Transatlantic is from Harwich. We would prefer a car transfer - versus toting our bundles onto the train. :o Also we are planning a 1- or 2-night pre-stay. We did London last year - so are looking for something more rural. Any recommendations?

It wasn't until I saw this thread resurrected that I realized I'd forgotten to report back about my experience w/ Darren @ Adelphi. Darren picked up our party of 3 at Heathrow for transfer to Harwich. He had given me his cell phone #, which I called as we were leaving immigration & heading to baggage claim. He was waiting outside the door w/ a sign. He helped us w/ some of our bags as we walked across a few lanes of traffic to a waiting van in the short term parking. We enjoyed chatting w/ him & seeing the scenery on the approx. 1.5 hr. drive. I would certainly use his service again if my travels take me back to London.

• 2 weeks later...
the second best part of cruising is the prior planning. We are looking at a Transatlantic for fall of 2010. The 2009 Transatlantic is from Harwich. We would prefer a car transfer - versus toting our bundles onto the train. :o Also we are planning a 1- or 2-night pre-stay. We did London last year - so are looking for something more rural. Any recommendations?

onto the train (At Liverpool street) shouldn't be that tough, you could grab a cab to the station, and as it's the start station, you should have plenty of time to load. At Harwich it would be extremely hard to get closer to the cruise ship, Google Map of cruise ship & train station as the station is less than a boat length from the dock.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to scare you all but you should have a back plan in place if you book with Darren. He did not make it to pick us up at Heathrow on Aug. 29, 2008, said he was stuck in traffic and suggested we find another way out. Needless to say I was much less than pleased. I understand from these boards he has stood up others also. I am not saying don't book him, but don't get caught without a back up plan just in case. We ended up taking the coach (bus) from Heathrow into Victoria to change and then to Dover. Easiest thing we have done and much cheaper and reliable.

Interesting info here as I have just booked the Sept TA from Harwich. We are planning on arriving a day early in Harwich. Does anyone have info on a reasonable hotel in Harwich and if any of them 'deliver' us to the ship? Thanks in advance. Kathy

Interesting info here as I have just booked the Sept TA from Harwich. We are planning on arriving a day early in Harwich. Does anyone have info on a reasonable hotel in Harwich and if any of them 'deliver' us to the ship? Thanks in advance. Kathy

There is not a great deal to see/do in the Harwich area - it really is only a port town. However, the surrounding countryside is wonderful. I would definitely recommend staying or visiting Southwold which is a very pretty old seaside town with its own brewery, or alternatively Ipswich which is not too far away either. The only reason I think of for staying in Harwich is if you arrive late at night and are heading out first thing the next day !

In June we stayed at The Pier right on the Quay in Harwich. We were only there about 24 hrs; & no, there isn't much to do there. But it is a quaint little town w/ some good restaurants. Their formal restuarant upstairs served a fabulous meal as we watched the sunset. They have a pub & sandwich shop near the lobby w/ outdoor seating. Across the street there are several small eating places on the tiny pier. We walked around the block to look at the small houses w/ colorful flower gardens & spotted an Italian restaurant on a back street. It was a nice, quiet place to get over jet lag & only a short taxi ride to the cruise terminal the next noon. I don't know if any area hotel offers transfer service; I kinda doubt it.

We are planning on arriving a day early in Harwich. Does anyone have info on a reasonable hotel in Harwich and if any of them 'deliver' us to the ship? Thanks in advance. Kathy

Harwich itself is a strange town, the port area part of town is on a small headland. The railway station, main shops and 'resort' area is around the headland in the Dovercourt / Harwich Green area.

The only purpose built modern hotel I can think off is the Premier Inn, rooms around 50 GBP and I would suggest sets the benchmark. Its mid-way between the old port town and the new port where the cruise terminal is. Local buses run into town one way and the cruise port the other about every 30 minutes. There is a large supermarket (Morrissons oppossite) and a small out of town retail park.

There are several hotels/B&B's in Dovercourt you can google and the Pier Hotel mentioned above in the port town. All the hotels will get you a taxi for the 5/10 minute ride to the cruise terminal or you could simply use the bus or the train if you don't have too much luggage

There is a very good Maritime Heritage Trail with free leaflets available everywhere that winds through the port town and around the headland to Dovercourt where the beaches are - a great low key way to walk off jet lag with about 20 items of interest, many of then really interesting scattered around the town.

Much is made of Harwich being the home of Christophers Jones, master of the Mayflower. His house is in the port area and there is an exhibition on the pier.

Archived