Century 3/22-27/08 review

HolstonRiverVOL

Due to children we hadn't cruised in 20 years ... our last cruise was a Christmas/New Years trans canal cruise on Cunard's Sagafjord. (wife was pregnant with our son) ... we have talked in recent years about cruising with our children but never got around to it ... usually Spring Break in Cancun or Negril, JA.... anyway our son is in his second year at UT and his spring break hasn't coincided with our daughter's high school. Well, last fall we had a family meeting and our son (although not jumping with joy) understood that he couldn't go so we booked the 5 night March 22 Century cruise for my wife, 17 yr old daughter & I.

We just returned from what was a fabulous 5 night cruise on Century. :D We stayed in Royal Suite 1041 ... It was a wonderful stateroom ... bigger than we had imagined ... and well laid out and appointed.

Our butler, Richard, was the best !!! :) Breakfast in room everyday... port days on the veranda. Eggs Benedict everyday (not on menu but learned in this forum that you can write it in) ... Every evening about 6:45 Richard would bring us 3 shrimp cocktails and a plate of cheese.

We had second seating for dinner and Vladimir from Serbia was our waiter. We were at table 515 which was right in front of the Captains Table. Vlad was most knowledgeable and efficient... all of the entrees we had were very good. :cool:

If we could have changed anything it would have been the weather. But I am not God and over the years I have learned that there are some things you just have to accept (helps to know the Serenity Prayer) ... Just as we were boarding the ship last Saturday there came a horrible rain storm which lasted until well after She sailed. When we finally got our luggage some to the pieces had gotten damp and some of my daughter's and wife's clothes were a little damp .. but dried quickly once unpacked and hung. I think Celebrity should take better care insuring that luggage does not get wet (this was my only complaint of the entire cruise)

The weather again didn't cooperate in Grand Cayman and from my understanding all excursions were canceled. Of the 6/7 ships scheduled for port only 3 anchored and tendered.... fellow passengers said the tendering was an experience. We just stayed on board, sunned and dined (someone had to do it :p )

Sure there were more young children than I understand is usual for Celebrity but my gosh ... IT WAS SPRING BREAK and EASTER WEEK ... WHAT do you expect. :confused:

We loved it so much that we booked the same cruise again for next year (March 14, 2009). Because our daughter will also be at UT our son will now get to experience firsthand the wonderful Celebrity Century experience.

hi holstonriver -- we were on the same cruise, and i agree with everything you said!! we thought it was a fabulous cruise. we did the same cruise last spring break and loved it so much, we did the same one this year -- same cabin and everything! and we would do it again tomorrow. glad you had a great time -- hate we didn't get to meet you!

Hi HolstonRiverVol,

Just had to say hi. Both of our sons are graduates of UT..go VOLS!

Century is our favorite ship. We will be sailing on her for a Transatlantic in about four weeks.

Enjoyed your review. Sounds like things are back to normal. We were on Century this past December and it was out first "Code Red" cruise with the norovirus aboard. I hope they have refinished the hand rails along the stairs. They were bare wood from the bleach by the time we disembarked.

Due to children we hadn't cruised in 20 years ... our last cruise was a Christmas/New Years trans canal cruise on Cunard's Sagafjord. (wife was pregnant with our son) ... we have talked in recent years about cruising with our children but never got around to it ... usually Spring Break in Cancun or Negril, JA.... anyway our son is in his second year at UT and his spring break hasn't coincided with our daughter's high school. Well, last fall we had a family meeting and our son (although not jumping with joy) understood that he couldn't go so we booked the 5 night March 22 Century cruise for my wife, 17 yr old daughter & I.

We just returned from what was a fabulous 5 night cruise on Century. :D We stayed in Royal Suite 1041 ... It was a wonderful stateroom ... bigger than we had imagined ... and well laid out and appointed.

Our butler, Richard, was the best !!! :) Breakfast in room everyday... port days on the veranda. Eggs Benedict everyday (not on menu but learned in this forum that you can write it in) ... Every evening about 6:45 Richard would bring us 3 shrimp cocktails and a plate of cheese.

We had second seating for dinner and Vladimir from Serbia was our waiter. We were at table 515 which was right in front of the Captains Table. Vlad was most knowledgeable and efficient... all of the entrees we had were very good. :cool:

If we could have changed anything it would have been the weather. But I am not God and over the years I have learned that there are some things you just have to accept (helps to know the Serenity Prayer) ... Just as we were boarding the ship last Saturday there came a horrible rain storm which lasted until well after She sailed. When we finally got our luggage some to the pieces had gotten damp and some of my daughter's and wife's clothes were a little damp .. but dried quickly once unpacked and hung. I think Celebrity should take better care insuring that luggage does not get wet (this was my only complaint of the entire cruise)

The weather again didn't cooperate in Grand Cayman and from my understanding all excursions were canceled. Of the 6/7 ships scheduled for port only 3 anchored and tendered.... fellow passengers said the tendering was an experience. We just stayed on board, sunned and dined (someone had to do it :p )

Sure there were more young children than I understand is usual for Celebrity but my gosh ... IT WAS SPRING BREAK and EASTER WEEK ... WHAT do you expect. :confused:

We loved it so much that we booked the same cruise again for next year (March 14, 2009). Because our daughter will also be at UT our son will now get to experience firsthand the wonderful Celebrity Century experience.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Century. We finally got my SIL to love cruising when we (extended family...parents, sibs, nieces, nephews, etc.) all went on Century last Easter week. We had 5 Sky Suites next door to each other, and my SIL, who prior to this cruise hated cruising (her only experience was Carnival), became a convert.

I wish we could have done it again this year, but their kid's sports schedules got in the way. Instead we're doing HAL Westerdam next Saturday with my sister, BIL, and their kids. Ours are all grown and off our payroll, so we are pretty much free to cruise whenever we want, but it's always fun to go with family.

Jo-Ann

Hi there! Glad to hear you had a great time on your cruise

We will be in cabin 1041 in just over 2 weeks!!! I was wondering if you could tell me more about the cabin, veranda, butler, etc...I am so excited to be going on our honeymoon, and any little detail is great!

Nicole ... as to your questions I can assure you that you will not be disappointed in any way with your selection of RS 1041. Your butler will be Richard who is from Goa, India and he's been with Celebrity for 14 years and has been on most of their ships but loves the Century the best. Richard's mission is to be of service to you and take care of all your needs... you only have to ask and it is done. From reading this forum I learned of the many things that a butler could do and upon meeting Richard for the first time I asked what all he could do to make our cruise more enjoyable and he gave us ideas and we just asked from there. In addition to the recommended gratuity (which we charged to our sea pass account after we got on board) I gave Richard an Andrew Jackson at the time of our first encounter and then again on Monday as we were most impressed with his attentiveness and service.

Thelma was our stateroom attendant and likewise was tops .. We also Jackson'ed her at the beginning of the cruise.

The veranda is absolutely huge ... probably 8' deep ... on it were a round wooden table w/ 2 chairs, 2 chaise lounges & 2 big wooden arm chairs.

We couldn't believe the size...great place to have breakfast when in port.

Happy to answer any other questions... Your honeymoon will be special :D

Thank you for the information you posted about Royal Suite 1041. We have reserved that Suite for a Med cruise in September and I have a few questions I hope you can answer. First, I have seen on other posts that because the RS are below the pool deck that there can be a good deal of noise from overhead; did you experience that during your cruise? Second, the deck plans show a large unidentified "space" across the hall from Suite 1041; can you tell me what that it (is it a service area with a door or just a wall)? Finally, what did you think of the the overall condition of the Suite? I have seen mixed reviews on the Century, but we were on the ship in January of 2007 and just loved it!

Thanks for any further information. :)

We never noticed any noise from above.

No sure what the area is across the hall but I assume it was some sort of service area.

We simply could not have been more pleased with RS1041. :D

We loved everything about the cruise that we booked the same cruise again next March ... wanted same suite but had to settle for 1040 which is exact same location but on starboard side of ship. We were originally booked in 1028 but changed as soon as I read a recent review about the amount of overhead noise that apparently is a real problem with that suite

thanks for the info! one question, is there ample storage in the bathroom for toiletries? I know on past cruises I've had to pack one of those over the door shoe holders, but I'm assuming that for this RS, I don't need one?

Archived