has cruising changed???

danvan

Well, 'change' is a relative term. The one obvious change that I see is the SIZE of these mega ships. With thousands of passengers on board, one can be overwhelmed. My opinion is unless you are on board for nearly 2 weeks, you'll never be able to appreciate the amenities these ships offer. There is something to do 24 hours a day, and usually two things at the same time that you want to do!

I also think that things are toning down a bit. What I mean by that is the very casual dress codes that are accepted if not encouraged on board. I can remember just 2 years ago, men wearing shorts were not allowed in the dining room at dinner time. Everyone looked clean, appropriate, and certainly proper. Now, almost anything is accepted (except swimwear/beachwear). Do I like it? NO. Can I do anything about it? Probably not, but I can change tables if my tablemates look and/or smell like slobs. I'm fortunate that I have only done that once in all of my cruising. And the weird part about that is the Head Waiter/Waiter/Server all agreed with me when I wanted to move!!!

Other changes? Of course, the fuel surcharge. That's cruise-line across the board. We will all have to pay it.

So even tho these may sound like negative changes, I don't let them discourage me from planning any cruise. I make my own fun and deal with the small changes.

Any other comments, you cruise critics?

I guess it will depend on the cruiseline! On some, the food quality has declined--(not that you'll starve or anything!)

What line did you use in the past, and what are you thinking of booking this time?

First of all thanks

My last cruise was on carnival Spirit, as for the size, well, i was already on a Voyager-Class ship. I'm planning to go with RCI, yeah, the fuel surcharge was a bit dissapointing,

• 3 weeks later...
So it's been 4 years after my last cruise(5 when i sail), do i need to be prepared for any major changes??????

Our first cruise was in 1990.

Things have changed since then in many ways.

• 4 weeks later...

IMHO I believe the quality of food has changed somewhat. I also believe that in some areas, cabin stewards' workloads has increased thereby decreasing levels of personal service.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

• 1 month later...
IMHO I believe the quality of food has changed somewhat. I also believe that in some areas, cabin stewards' workloads has increased thereby decreasing levels of personal service.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I agree. :(

• 3 weeks later...

The food menu is more diverse - sometimes not as good as it used to be - I rather enjoyed the more formal dress of the 90's - I mean, there were people who dressed "smart casual" as opposed to just casual - there are certainly more Mega ships out there - and there are MORE and MORE folks cruising - I mean, some have 3 or 4 cruise plans within the yr or two instead of just one or NONE... Corkey

Much biggers ships, more public spaces, more private balcony's (get one), more dining rooms (w/ more food), and lastly and most impactful to me, a quite exhaustive photography program aboard. Sometime in the last 6 years, the mega ships now photograph everyone all over the ship and at the ports of call, set up a handful of backdrops every night, put up the results on a board along w/ thousands other pictures, and hope that you find them (first) and then spend hundreds of dollars on them. Bless my wife in that she only spent $25 on a handful of pictures, when we redeemed the discount coupons we were given. Honestly, though, I love cruises and my observation of the photo program made me laugh, angry, and feel sorry for everyone, all at the same time.

Much biggers ships, more public spaces, more private balcony's (get one), more dining rooms (w/ more food), and lastly and most impactful to me, a quite exhaustive photography program aboard. Sometime in the last 6 years, the mega ships now photograph everyone all over the ship and at the ports of call, set up a handful of backdrops every night, put up the results on a board along w/ thousands other pictures, and hope that you find them (first) and then spend hundreds of dollars on them. Bless my wife in that she only spent $25 on a handful of pictures, when we redeemed the discount coupons we were given. Honestly, though, I love cruises and my observation of the photo program made me laugh, angry, and feel sorry for everyone, all at the same time.

I agree - I used to buy EVERY single one -now it's down to enter/formal.... I just love it when they come around during dinner - I mean, you pay $25 for a pic with plates/silverware/other heads behind you...etc etc..... Corkey

Passports v. birth certifcates may be required - double check with yourline and itinerary. RCCL used to allow drinking with parents approval for beer and wine with 18 year olds and up - not any more. 21 is the age for all alcohol on US departure itineraries. RCCL also to allow alcohol to be brought on board. That too has changed over the years to any alcohol bought on shore and brought on board will be held until disembarkation.

Other than that it's still the same oceans, islands, and great time!

Passports v. birth certifcates may be required - double check with your lne and itinerary. RCCL used to allow drinking with parents approval for beer and wine with 18 year olds and up - not any more. 21 is the age for all alcohol on US departure itineraries. RCCL also to allow alcohol to be brought on board. That too has changed over the years to any alcohol bought on shore and brought on board will be held until disembarkation.

Other than that it's still the same oceans, islands, and great time!

• 2 months later...
I think in general over the past 10 years, cruise attire has gotten a lot more casual and the food in general is not the quality it used to be.

Yes that is the changes I have seen also. I still love cruising but I enjoyed it more 10 years ago. the other things is ships are getting bigger and bigger and MORE crowded. I hate that.

Archived