purse only vs. purse and carry on bag

natduv

Ladies, what do you carry when you fly to another city to board a ship? I'm a veteran cruiser but I want to lighten my carry on load. I will be flying across country two days before my cruise, so I will have access to my luggage at the hotel. I was planning on taking just an organizer purse on the plane and packing a carry on to use for the last night of the cruise and also packing a mini bag to use on the ship. What are some suggestions and ideas?

I always carry a purse with my money, ID, passport, phone etc when I fly in addition to my carry on. Usually I stuff my carry on with books, food, sweater, eye mask, and other such items. I find that carrying both keeps me organized and really is only a hassle when at the airport. When on board, I usually use a wristlet to carry my phone, ID, sign and sail card, and some cash for tipping. This time I'm cruising the Mediterranean and I bought a swing pack (that's what Coach calls it, it's a purse that goes across your body) to avoid the notorious pick pockets. With that I bought a little wallet that I can attach to secure my cards and cash. They're perfect. Just enough room for some lip gloss, phone, camera, and other must have items while at port.

Hope this helps!

I usually bring a purse that I will use day to day while on the cruise in addition to my carry on. In my carry-on I always pack a set of spare clothes, toiletries, books and a few other things. In my suitcase, I pack a messenger bag that I use in port to hold/carry my souvenirs. Since I do a lot of traveling with my younger brother - he'll carry it for me. At the end of the trip, I would empty out my carry-on and all those items would go into my suitcase. All of my souvenirs go into the carry-on and I will also have my purse as well. My brother will have the messenger bag filled and his carry-on as well. It has always worked for us.

I pack my evening purse in my regular luggage. I carry on my backpack--it serves as a carry-on and a purse.-- it also has my lanyard/card holder thingy in it so once I get on the ship, I am ready!

I place my small purse I will be carrying during the cruise inside my large organizer carry-on that also holds meds, clean outfit, passports, confirmations, and camera. Therefore, only one thing to carry.

Same here. I keep travel docs in my small organizer bag and then put it into the carry-on the plane. I use a carry on with an accessible zipper pocket

• 4 months later...

I use a wallet with a strap that can go across my body which holds cash and cc. The passports go in the outside pocket of my carryon - which will turn into the pool and beach bag while on board. DH gets to carry the camera bag and the small roller bag - this holds stuff for one day since we fly down one day before. I hate having to open the big bags to dig for stuff!

On my first few cruises, I thought I was being smart by carrying a knap sack with all ID, bathing suit, lotion etc. But then after a few trips of lugging this bag on with me, I've come to realize, I NEVER go right to the Lido deck to change into a bathing suit, and my luggage is never very far behind me so... now I have opted to take my purse with ID and meds alone.

No more over the shoulder bag to get in the way anymore.

I carry purse on the plane that has ID and vacation documents. We also have a carry on with one change of clothes and our meds.

If we are driving to port I have the same purse and I carry a drawstring back pack with meds in it. I use the backpack for our excursions as well. It is large enough for camera, 2 bottles of water and maybe even stuff my raincoat or poncho in it. Depends on the weather.

I really like the back pack because it gives me hands free. My purse stays in the cabin throughout the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

DH bought me an over-the-body microfiber purse from TravelSmith for Christmas -it has lots of storage and the size is right. Also carry a tote bag (in which I place my purse) that contains book, jewelry, medicines and a change of underwear. Also use the tote for excursions since it zips and goes over my shoulder.

Archived