Roaming Gnomes (or other such objects)

santanna

Does anyone ever take along a traveling companion (for lack of a better description) such as a stuffed animal?

My 5 y/o granddaugher is obsessed with cows and has about 20 in various shapes (ever see a round cow?) sizes, colors (ever seen a turquoise cow?) and materials. She wants me to take "Moolie" on vacation with me. Moolie is a black and white Gund cow, about 10 inches long.

I thought it would be a hoot to fit Moolie with a little backpack for the trip and dress him (yes, Moolie is a boy since he doesn't have an udder) up in swim trunks, a tie for formal night...well, you get my drift. She would get such a kick out of pictures of Moolie taken at various places.

Would I be shunned and ridiculed and banned from cruising if I brought Moolie along?

(I wonder how Moolie would look in a miniature sombrero).:D

I think if you're doing it for your grandchild its sweet, if you're doing it just to take pictures all over it can be unique... but I remember reading a post on here where a couple had bears. They dressed for dinner had their own chairs and if I remember correctly they even got punished for being bad. Thats just odd.

I think it's a cute idea. Some people have taken things such as this around the world, taking pictures in various scenic places. If I remember correctly, a couple of young men "stole" a garden gnome and would send back pictures of it, writing as if they were the gnome, enjoying the trip. I thought it was hilarious. Eventually the family received a note that he was on his way safely home, and he was returned unharmed.

Yes, I have heard of a round cow, my dtr. was also enthralled with cows when she was young and we had all sizes and types in our house. I even made a couple of cows which were dressed up.

Hope you have a great time, and take plenty of pictures!

I read about the bear thing too, so that's why I was asking. I don't think I would have Moolie is his own chair or be trying to feed him though. I think He'll probably live in my backpack most of the time and go hungry. :)

I would love to have my laptop along so I could send pictures to my granddaughter daily, but that's not worth the hassle of lugging it around.

Dell has a new 9" one that's perfect for travel and that's soooo tempting!

Hi everyone,

My sister bought a traveling companion last year. He's a two inch tall traveling gnome named Luigi. His first trip was on the Carnival Miracle out of NYC to St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Tortola. We have pics of him from all over the ship and lounging on the beaches of Trunk Bay, St. John and The Baths in Virgin Gorda. Plus he took pictures with all the event staff and the captain of the Miracle. It's pretty great. He has also been to Phoenix, AZ for a racing trip and if all goes well, he'll be on his way to Mexico on the Carnival Fantasy in February. It's kind of funny to go up to people and ask them to take pictures with the gnome. So far no one has said no.

On our last cruise the family at the table next to us had a 'head on a stick'. It was the grandson who couldn't make the cruise in person. They took pix with 'him' on formal night, at dinner, on shore excursions, etc. They were going to give him a scrap book of all the places 'he' went to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=780372

This is by far the most popular bear on the high seas....I think he has been on just about every RC ship.....and then some!

I think its a cute idea.....especially the poster who said his grandson couldn't go on the cruise....adorable! (not to mention cheaper too!!! :D)

I have an owl that has been all over the world. He even has his own photo album. He just loved Paris' Eiffel Tower and Big Ben in England, but most of all he loves to cruise.

Owls are purported to be very wise. I'm not surprised that he loves cruising best. :p

• 2 weeks later...

my parents took their grandson's webkinz on their last cruise. They had a ball!!! Everyone wanted their picture taken with it, and he even had a bow tie for formal nights. When they returned, I turned the pictures into a photo book of froggy's adventures. We plan on taking him with us in feb.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone ever take along a traveling companion (for lack of a better description) such as a stuffed animal?

My 5 y/o granddaugher is obsessed with cows and has about 20 in various shapes (ever see a round cow?) sizes, colors (ever seen a turquoise cow?) and materials. She wants me to take "Moolie" on vacation with me. Moolie is a black and white Gund cow, about 10 inches long.

I thought it would be a hoot to fit Moolie with a little backpack for the trip and dress him (yes, Moolie is a boy since he doesn't have an udder) up in swim trunks, a tie for formal night...well, you get my drift. She would get such a kick out of pictures of Moolie taken at various places.

Would I be shunned and ridiculed and banned from cruising if I brought Moolie along?

(I wonder how Moolie would look in a miniature sombrero).:D

I never done this- but this sounds like a hoot.

We have a Wheres Waldo doll whos been all over the world and has his own photo album and web photobucket. We dont take pictures of ourselves and with Waldo we take a lot of pictures to remember our trips by.

We have several gnomes that "work" with us at the hospital I am employed at. We take gnomes with us on vacations, take pictures and post them at work. So far our gnome has been to Barbados, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Hawaii (Maui, Oahu and Kauai), Las Vegas, Arizona, Whistler B.C., Key West, & Miami. He has even been down to 42' below the ocean scuba diving, and has ziplined!!! He is most definitely going with us on our next cruise to the Mexican Riviera!

My sister ("bodog" on these forums) has a black plastic rat that accompanies her on ALL of her travels, be it cruising, driving, flying, etc. If someone from her office goes on vacation and bodog isn't traveling at the same time, then the rat goes on vacation with them. I came up with the name of "Yersi" for the rat, short for yersenia pestis.

Being a geocacher (www.geocaching.com), I often take "travel bugs" with me to move along from place to place.

I read through this thread last week and had never thought of bringing a 'stuffie' along for the cruise. We have a 2 1/2 year old grand-daughter so we went out this weekend and made a stuffed puppy at Build-a-Bear (named it Sugar). We've decided to take Sugar with us and send the pictures to our sweet Ella. Her dad is a graphic design artist and has agreed to create a book for Ella, using all the pictures of Sugar.

Thanks to all of you for the great idea!!

There is actually a school project that involves sending "flat stanley" to a family member or friend that lives out of state and that person is supposed to take picture of flat stanley in various locations. I think this is just a fun variation of such school project and should be encouraged by everyone !!!! My daughter took her unicorn, "uni", on her first cruise and when we came back from dinner she was thrilled that the cabin attendant took the time to tuck Uni into bed. We have many pictures of that..... and BTW, my daughter spent her well earned $5 in Mexico on a mini sombrero for uni.....

How well I remember Flat Stanley.

My 29 yo DD never goes anywhere without her stuffed dog "Snoopy"

She always hides him in her pillowcase- even went to college-

good thing wasn't charge room and board or tuition for him.

One year he got left in a hotel room..we had to drive back 2 hours to get him!

She got him from Uncle when she was born. So it is his fault!

How well I remember Flat Stanley.

My 29 yo DD never goes anywhere without her stuffed dog "Snoopy"

She always hides him in her pillowcase- even went to college-

good thing wasn't charge room and board or tuition for him.

One year he got left in a hotel room..we had to drive back 2 hours to get him!

She got him from Uncle when she was born. So it is his fault!

That is funny about snoopy; I have a feeling Uni will be the same way as my DD got her when she was 3 and although she is only 9 now, Uni goes everywhere. I have to sneak the animal into the laundry!!!!

Archived