Pregnancy -- should I go to Mexico?

coolkayan

Hello,

I am 3 months pregnant and was wondering about the current condition of swine flu in Mexico. I am worried about the spread of the swine flu when I am cruising on the ship. Do the cruiselines take any precautions to protect visitors? I am planning to go in October. Any information would help, thanks.

Hello,

I am 3 months pregnant and was wondering about the current condition of swine flu in Mexico. I am worried about the spread of the swine flu when I am cruising on the ship. Do the cruiselines take any precautions to protect visitors? I am planning to go in October. Any information would help, thanks.

There was NEVER a swine flu problem in Cabo, Mazatlan or PV. In fact they had fewer cases than almost anywhere in the WORLD. It is posts like this that created the false panic that created all the tourism problems in the first place. Cabo still has not even had 1 confirmed case. Can you say that about your own city?

Talk to your doctor and do what he/she suggests about traveling anywhere during flu season.

If you are really concerned about the flu (remember, there is also the regular seasonal flu which is much more deadly than the H2N1 flu) than you should stay home. The issue is not Mexico, but rather the exposure you get in airports, airplanes and cruise ships where there are large groups of people in close proximity.

Hank

The fact that you asked this question means you are concerned about this. You must do what you believe to be right in consultation with your doctor. Please do not listen to others opinions, go with your own feelings and what you believe to be right for you.

While I agree, it is best for the OP to work with her doctor to determine if she should travel or not, I think everyone needs to realize swine flu is not just a Mexico thing. In fact at this point Mexico is probably one of the least impacted countries. Anyone from the US probably has more cases in their own backyard then they would come across in Mexico.

I think we need to keep our eye on the ball here. As I read the OP's post, I actually see 2 concerns and not just one. The first one deals with the status of the H1N1 virus in Mexico and I think that has been covered pretty well.

The second concern is possibly even more important. That is "I am worried about the spread of the swine flu when I am cruising on the ship". Your exposure risk is somewhat low in Mexico (as previously noted) because you are only in port for 6-10 hours normally. Compare that to the amount of time typically spent around @4000 guests and crew members during a standard 7 day cruise. I figure you could "roughly" be exposed @134 hours (minus sleeping time of course). At a minimum, you would have a 2 to 3 times greater risk of contracting a virus on the ship than on the shore. These are just my rough estimates and just my personal opinion so please mathematicians and actuaries, just relax. Furthering this risk is the fact that all of these people on the ship may come from widely different geographic/cultural environments and could come aboard the ship already infected. Since I would guess that a majority of us do not purchase trip insurance, I would further postulate that a simple cold or runny nose (at the onset) is not going to keep us from going on our cruise that we have bought and paid for.

To the OP. If your doctor has given their blessing, then by all means, go on the cruise and have a great time. It may be 18+ years before you get another chance (without rug rats). Exercise prudent caution. Bring your own hand sanitizer to keep with you at all times. In addition, wash your hands with soap & water EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Force yourself to do this. You are caring for an unborn child. My last piece of advice is to have a great time (but watch your alcohol intake).

Thanks for all the input. I did talk to the doctor and she said as long as I get the flu shot, things should be fine.

I will probably go since swine flu is everywhere now.

Glad to hear that you spoke with your doctor. Interestingly enough there is no swine flu shot available at this time. Was the doctor talking about a regular flu shot or hoping that they will be available before you leave for the cruise?

Keith

The doctor said there is NO swine flu vaccine available in any doctor's office. Who knows when they will become available. In the mean time, I am just going to get the regular flu shot.

Thanks for all the comments. I will be sure to sanitize my hands all the time and try to stay away from sick people. Worst case I will wear a mask everywhere! :)

The doctor said there is NO swine flu vaccine available in any doctor's office. Who knows when they will become available. In the mean time, I am just going to get the regular flu shot.

Thanks for all the comments. I will be sure to sanitize my hands all the time and try to stay away from sick people. Worst case I will wear a mask everywhere! :)

The H1N1 shot is supposded to be availavle mid October. However I have read that you have to take 2 doses, 2 weeks apart for it to be effective.

I was 3 months pregnant years ago and went to Mexico. I got diarrea and was advised to take Kaopectac so you should have something with you in case tourista hits you.

Please ask your doctor before doing that. Usually the best thing is not to take anything for "tourista". It is caused by food bacteria and it is best to just let nature handle things. Without being too graphic, you want that bug to leave your body not to stay in!

I was 3 months pregnant years ago and went to Mexico. I got diarrea and was advised to take Kaopectac so you should have something with you in case tourista hits you.

Actually a really good (and healthy) way to have a little safety margin is to eat some yogurt every morning while on the ship. We always do this (and I don't even like yogurt), and have never gotten sick. We also do this when we are in Cabo for a week every year. You are just putting in a few good bugs (yogurt) to take care of the bad ones (on the RARE occurrence that you get some).

Archived