restaurant versus lido buffets for dinner

orianagal

hello,

I only go to the buffet when I have to, though my DW likes buffets a little better than I do.

Reading this thread leads me to the conclusion that cruise lines will get rid of MDRs. Why provide a fine dining experience when they can put some food in front of people and allow everyone to wear what they want, and have as much as they want, and whenever.

The cruise line that gets rid of MDRs will make lots of money, but none of it will be from me. And sadly, a cruise will be just like a trip to a fast food place in a mall...no tradition, no sense of adventure, no meeting new and interesting/fun people...just fill your face.

I've not gone to the buffet for dinner, so I can't really comment on what the food is like then. But I do know that I don't care for the buffet at breakfast or lunch and only go there when the dining room isn't open.

We feel that we have paid for service, plus giving a gratuity and take advantage of being served. I just don't care for serve yourself and then go get your beverage while the food cools off. We can DIY at home.

I highly doubt the buffets will outdo the dining room any time soon, but it's great there is that choice for people who like it.

I also enjoy the dining room service three times a day. I enjoy meeting people, being served, taking time to relax and not rush through meals. Now that I am cruising solo, the buffet is even less appealing. I've gone there if the dining room is closed on a port day, but not enjoyed it. I left my drink to go select some desert, when I returned my table had been cleared and new people were sitting there. I've never had dinner at a buffet so can't comment about it. Through the years, we had a few dinners in our cabin for one reason or another, but never the buffet. Breakfast on my balcony is a wonderful way to start the day!:)

I also enjoy the dining room service three times a day. I enjoy meeting people, being served, taking time to relax and not rush through meals. Now that I am cruising solo, the buffet is even less appealing. I've gone there if the dining room is closed on a port day, but not enjoyed it. I left my drink to go select some desert, when I returned my table had been cleared and new people were sitting there. I've never had dinner at a buffet so can't comment about it. Through the years, we had a few dinners in our cabin for one reason or another, but never the buffet. Breakfast on my balcony is a wonderful way to start the day!:)

Main Dining Room is great for solos, on CUNARD we used to skip the MDR go to the Lido buffet so to attend both dance sessions in the Queens room ! (they were good fun)

There are always good reasons to make use of the buffet at dinner time......and as I have read it suits some and others perhaps not. The buffet could be regarded as Perfectly good for a backup plan !:)

Yes (ref Creeks) it can also be true about fast clearance of tables at a buffet...last cruise we all made a funny joke of it with the crew in the buffet area with names like Speedy etc they enjoyed the humour !!:):)

thankyou for your interesting and varied posts !!

We love the MDR especially since we started taking advantage of anytime dining. Gives us the opportunity to experience the dining room on our own schedule or to sit with others and spend a bit more time.

Also enjoy getting to know the staff. We have had the same head waiter on 3 different cruises. Kind of feels like running into old friends :).

Some CCs might be interested to see how many folks are preferring the night time atmosphere of a lido buffet or prefer the traditional dining room experience for dinner ?

On recent cruises I noticed many more passengers attending the night time dinner Buffet? (especially popular on Princess) and Im wondering if this is becoming the norm (as they say) for a cruise.?

thankyou cheers Happy Sailings to all :)

Main dining room or Pinnacle for us on HAL.

For us to dine in the buffet Lido on HAL it would only be because we won't attend the Master Chef's dinner and couldn't get a reservation for the Pinnacle.

Did the Master Chef's dinner 4 times and that was 3 times too many!!

Main dining room or Pinnacle for us on HAL.

For us to dine in the buffet Lido on HAL it would only be because we won't attend the Master Chef's dinner and couldn't get a reservation for the Pinnacle.

Did the Master Chef's dinner 4 times and that was 3 times too many!!

Hello Krazy Ks

just wondering what is the Master Chefs dinner?

sounds interesting?

Best regards:)

we usually cruise with another couple and they love to eat everything along with hubby so we eat in the dining room....watch the show...check out the buffet after and later on we will pick up a snack at the Blue Lagoon....we have eaten in the TEX MEX once and just prefer to EAT the food that is FREE or what we consider comes with our CRUISE PKG--we can always FIND something ENJOYABLE...we really dont mind the buffet either...

I left my drink to go select some desert, when I returned my table had been cleared and new people were sitting there.:)

At least on the Princess Emerald this past spring, there was a back to back card which on one side it said, Gone to get more food, do not clear. Plus every evening I took my Sony reader with me to dinner and would leave it on the table when I went back for another course.

When I'd go into the Caribe buffet, I'd put my reader on a table for 2, then go through the serving line to get my salad & dinner roll/butter, then place that plate on my table. I'd then go back through the line to get my entree(s) & side dishes - and then back to the table. Then later I'd go back to get desert(s).

Fortunately the combination of my reader, in a bright red case, and seeing the same staff every night certainly did help.

We prefer the dining room for some breakfasts and all dinners. We have always found that we enjoy the more personal attention in the dining room and the food is usually fresher. Also at buffets, we tend to overeat, so by eating in the dining room we are able to have some portion control.

I also cruise solo so I enjoy dinner in the MDR, as I can sit with people and chat, I don't mind the buffet for breakfast and lunch but never had dinner there. I've never had any problems with my table mates, I quite enjoy learning about them, I find that dinning in the MDR is one of the joys of cruising, I'm in no rush to eat so the long time it takes to finish the meal doesn't bother me. I've made a lot of friends by sharing a large table for dinner, a lot of them I am still in contact with, I've been on a dozen cruises and am leaving in a few days on another one (mediterranean with Costa) and am looking forward to the dining experience again. :)

We enjoy the traditional seating. late sitting, preferably at a larger table. We enjoy meeting new people and the relationships that develop during the cruise. We both dislike buffets. Even at home, we have a full dinner together and avoid fast foods, eating in front of the TV, and meals on the run!

At least on the Princess Emerald this past spring, there was a back to back card which on one side it said, Gone to get more food, do not clear. Plus every evening I took my Sony reader with me to dinner and would leave it on the table when I went back for another course.

When I'd go into the Caribe buffet, I'd put my reader on a table for 2, then go through the serving line to get my salad & dinner roll/butter, then place that plate on my table. I'd then go back through the line to get my entree(s) & side dishes - and then back to the table. Then later I'd go back to get desert(s).

Fortunately the combination of my reader, in a bright red case, and seeing the same staff every night certainly did help.

:)

Excellent idea that Card Treven....!!!:):)

DH is in wheelchair and partially deaf so we have discovered that traditional dining just doesn't work for us. A year ago (our last cruise :() we had anytime dining but still wound up at the buffet because it was more convenient. That was on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. The buffet was okay but a lot of sameness each night.

However, the previous winter we ate in the buffet most nights when we were on HAL's Westerdam, and it was quite wonderful. We chose our food from the buffet, but it was prepared and then served to us at our table by a waiter who tended to our needs the rest of the meal. We were relaxed and comfortable, and we good food and good service.

I just had lap-band surgery 13 weeks ago, and am giong on my first post-surgery cruise in November. It will be for our 1st anniversary, and his first cruise. Not sure what we will do as far as meals go, because I can not longer eat a full meal like I used to. Maybe a soup and meat, that will be about it, if that. Definatly buffet for lunch on sea days, prob main dining room for dinner, at least 2 nights.

DH is in wheelchair and partially deaf so we have discovered that traditional dining just doesn't work for us. A year ago (our last cruise :() we had anytime dining but still wound up at the buffet because it was more convenient. That was on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. The buffet was okay but a lot of sameness each night.

However, the previous winter we ate in the buffet most nights when we were on HAL's Westerdam, and it was quite wonderful. We chose our food from the buffet, but it was prepared and then served to us at our table by a waiter who tended to our needs the rest of the meal. We were relaxed and comfortable, and we good food and good service.

Being in a wheelchair is a huge reason why I avoid buffets. Too many times I've had food dumped on my head as people reach over me to serve themselves, or people have tripped on me, knocked plates out of my hands (because they step back and stumble on the chair). Or the crowd of people shoving and pushing to be first in line hasn't given me room to move. I've never had anyone resembling "crew" offer to help, either help serve, or bring food to me, or in any other way assist. I have not (yet) cruised on HAL, though, so perhaps that is the difference.

Especially as a solo cruiser, I like having all the options. If I feel sociable, I'll go to the MDR. If I'm busy or peckish during off-hours, I'll get a little something from the buffet. If I want extra pampering, I'll go to a specialty restaurant. And if I want to be entirely alone, I'll call for room service.

Caro

Especially as a solo cruiser, I like having all the options. If I feel sociable, I'll go to the MDR. If I'm busy or peckish during off-hours, I'll get a little something from the buffet. If I want extra pampering, I'll go to a specialty restaurant. And if I want to be entirely alone, I'll call for room service.

Caro

exactly the words i wish i would have said. when i go to the mdr they treat me with respect and give me as much attention as if i were with a group or anothe person. i get the best of both worlds. and the room service food is good also. sometimes i take the lido food down too my cabin and have a nice quiet meal alone. so relaxing. i love anytime dinning and will use it for all my cruises.

Being in a wheelchair is a huge reason why I avoid buffets. Too many times I've had food dumped on my head as people reach over me to serve themselves, or people have tripped on me, knocked plates out of my hands (because they step back and stumble on the chair). Or the crowd of people shoving and pushing to be first in line hasn't given me room to move. I've never had anyone resembling "crew" offer to help, either help serve, or bring food to me, or in any other way assist. I have not (yet) cruised on HAL, though, so perhaps that is the difference.

Usually I'm pushing DH, or I get him settled at a table, and he tells me what he wants, and I get it for him. I did not say that he's now 87 (I'm in late 60s) and has other problems of aging as well which is why I do a lot for him. Anyway, we've been fortunate not to have had the problems you've had. HAL is the only one of the three cruise lines we've been on since DH has been in his chair that offered the kind of buffet service where we've actually had people bring the food to us at dinner after we'd chosen what we wanted.

Archived