Once you started cruising, do land vacations still hold the same appeal as before?

clerky96

Cruises are definately addictive for us. There are a few place that we would like to do land vacations in the future. For right now though we are so happy with being able to do cruises, that we are going to stay with it for a while. I believe that we will do some land vacations in the future again, but it is just not going to be right now for us.

>>Once you started cruising, do land vacations still hold the same appeal as before? <<

No. When I was a kid, we did family vacations every summer that consisted of "14 States in 14 Days" and I hated it. After getting out on my own, I visited many of the places we had been as a kid, but stayed for a while to actually experience it some. then I settled into a "rut' where we went to the same lake every summer. I took my wife years to talk me into a cruise and I wasn't sure I'd like it. Boy, was I wrong! we no longer do extended land based vacations anymore.............Just cruises. We have also found it to actually be less costly to cruise than the "trip to the lake". Plus, no cooking or cleaning (Wife really appreciates that!)

Land vacations aren't necessarily going to be AI resort type vacations.

I still want to go to Germany, snow ski in the alps, walk the streets of Prague, visit China and Australia.

The best trip we've ever taken was to Bora Bora. Just my husband and I in a hut on stilts in a quiet lagoon. We could go snorkeling off our deck and see amazing stuff. We did all kinds of day trips that were so much fun. You can do it by cruise ship, but we wanted to be alone for that trip and not be among masses of people.

Much as I love to cruise, I don't see why it would have to be all or nothing. You can do both and there are so many incredible places in the world not accessible by cruise ship.

I had an aquaintance who said his brother and SIL ONLY do the nude sex themed resort in Jamaica. They save all year, leave the kids at home, and go off for sun and nonstop partying, never leave the resort. I think they take the kids camping once a year, but vacations are always at the same resort in Jamaica. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

NO

Since I started cruising 8 years ago I have never taken a land vacation but I do prolong cruises in places I have not been before ...Vancouver,Miami New york ...to give my kids a chance to visit

I prefer cruising it is just easier .Besides you see different places ,different beaches ...I really like cruising and hope to continue to do so till I have seen the world

How did you like Cedar Point? It's our favorite amusement park of all time! We use to live about 45-miles from there and went several times each year. The last time we were there was when the "Millenium" coaster opened, and I rode it in the rain! WOW!

:cool:Bill

We go to Cedar Point at least once every other year and usually Six Flags Great America the opposite years. We live in Michigan so Cedar Point is only 4 hours away and Great America 3 1/2. We love Cedar Point but I have a hard time considering any trip under a week a vacation. To me they are long family weekends. Usually the Cedar Point or Great America trip is tied in with DD's National Dance Competition in either Sandusky or Chicago so it becomes a sports trip with lots of work by Mom to get DD there, make-up, dressed, etc. I don't consider camping for the week-end a vacation either. It is just a quick week-end get away from home with the family. I still need to clean the camper, cook, etc. To me a family vacation is at least a week staying at hotel/cruise ship where I don't have to cook, clean or do any type of work. Just Relax. I enjoy both land and sea vacations equally. The family however has tended to lean more towards cruising. I'm ok with that.

Land vacations aren't necessarily going to be AI resort type vacations.

This is a good point. When we do land vacations we simply don't do AI resorts. An AI resort is the same no matter where you go, so you might as well just stay close to home.

We tend to visit 3-4 regions in a week, as we're very active travelers. We're introducing our 3-year-old to land adventures by taking her to Costa Rica for a week in February, and we'll be staying in 3 different ecotourism regions of CR. Cruising is fun and easy, but on a land vacation we can't stand to spend more than 2-3 days in one place.

We'll be doing more land and fewer cruises in the foreseeable future now that our daughter is getting bigger.

We're stuck on the cruise thing, that's all there is to it. However I've been thinking about a compromise which would be.....cruise ships stay at select ports more than a few hours.

They could do a 2 dayer or overnight, whatever. It would save on fuel depending on the route and give pax a chance to spend some more time in the best locations.

Just a thought.

For me the logistics of a cruise are so much easier (and I live in South Florida)

it is cheaper too when you add it up :)

I am single so that is another factor....I went to St Augustine with a boyfriend a few years ago and while fun it was a bit of a hassle to have to figure where to eat, where to go etc...we had one lousy overpriced meal...and ended up eating some chain lunches just for convenience....the short vacation cost more than a cruise

Traveling with single friends?? Forget it...if one wants to stay in the hotel what woman is going out on the town by herself?? On a cruise you can kick back in the cabin while your roommate is at the disco or vice versa...so much freedom

I can see the joys of family vacations ...and that it would save money with kids...but I am not a camping type person..so that is out for me. I do like going to Orlando Parks but really only for short vacations...and I don't do it the expensive Disney Resort way...

when I compare the money to a cruise, I just pick a cruise

I have also done all inclusives in Mexico and Jamaica ...that was good for a couple, but IMHO not so great for singles...and I doubt I drank that much (My ex did LOL)

We did a land vacation in St Thomas at Marriot...it was lovely but again very pricey..much more than a cruise. Room service in a resort is out of sight....also again you spend a lot on cabs and you get some great (overpriced sometimes) meals..and some flops.

IMHO Cruising is the very best :) I would love to go to Alaska but on a cruise...then I would have to worry about airlines and luggage and liquids ...so it would be more complicated but still easier and cheaper than a land vacation

and cruising out of Florida?? so easy ...I feel very lucky

I come on board with a pack of soda, tons of luggage..:) Love it

Yes, I still like to go on land vacations.

It are both different experiences and some places can't be visited (or visited well) when you're on a cruise.

First cruise, we combined it with some time in Florida and a Disney trip. Second cruise, we first stayed at NYC, after the cruise stayed at Disney again. Upcoming cruise is instead of a week land vacation, since we couldn't decide whether we'd go to Morocco again, or Turkey or Tunisia.

To me though, cruising is way more stressful than a land vacation. If you do the resort thing, you have to be on time twice during your vacation: to catch your flight.

While cruising, I feel like you always have to look at your watch, as to not miss the ship, be on time for dinner, ...

I try to split my vacations between land and sea. There are some things that just cannot be done while on a cruise. For example, I'm going to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver this February. But I would always choose a cruise over any type of resort vacation. I don't know why, but while I love cruising, I just couldn't see going to any type of land resort.

I love land vacations way more than a cruise.

• You get to be in one place longer (so get to do more and see more and relax)

• You get a larger hotel room (incl. some with a full kitchen and large bathroom - though I am looking forward to my big aft wrap balcony on my upcoming cruise)

• You get to eat at different places

• It is cheaper

• It is less hassle

• You're on your own timing for things (not what time you have to be back at a ship or it'll leave you for every port stop)

• You have a LOT more choices in places to go (not just places on/near an ocean)

• You don't risk getting sea sick (which I'm sensitive to - thank goodness for Bonine!)

• Etc.

Cruises are interesting, unique, and can be fun, but they'll never be my first choice of vacation. (My previous and upcoming cruise are both with a group I'm with, which is why I went/am going.)

And this is the #1 reason (well your entire post :p) why I will choose an AI (sandals, excellence, etc.) over a cruise anyday. Although I enjoyed my cruise, my land based AI's will be #1 priority when I look for vacation plans.

Kevin

We have done a lot of cruises (and will continue to) but we are looking at some land-based vacations for next year.

There are too many things to see and places to go in the world which you either a) cannot get to by cruise ship or b) need more than 6 hours in port to really experience it.

...This was only 3 years ago and now we find that every time we start thinking about vacation, we think about cruising first. Just wondered if anyone else feels this way.

For us, if the destination can be reached by ship, we're definitely cruising. One of my friends just went on vacation to Cozumel (by airplane) and the whole time I kept thinking "Why would anybody want to FLY to Cozumel???" :D

For our next vacation, we're headed to Banff and Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies so needless to say, we're not cruising...;)

lakelouise.jpg

We have done a lot of cruises (and will continue to) but we are looking at some land-based vacations for next year.

There are too many things to see and places to go in the world which you either a) cannot get to by cruise ship or b) need more than 6 hours in port to really experience it.

I'm realizing that for some people, vacations mean beaches and islands only. "Land vacations" only mean Disney or the Grand Canyon. Therefore, cruising makes the most sense. But for others, vacations can mean anything from ski trips to mountain climbing to cultural experiences like Europe to seeing sites of ancient civilizations, etc. and on and on. Obviously, you can't get to a ski resort or mountain lodge on a cruise ship. I agree with you that as wonderful as cruises are, by making them one's sole vacation choice, one can miss out on so many incredible places that the world has to offer.

But each to his own! I understand that not everyone has the funds to go to China, see Machu Picchu, or fly to the Taj Mahal even if they have the desire. Cruising really is a great value from that perspective. But I do hope someday to visit those three incredible places.

For us, if the destination can be reached by ship, we're definitely cruising. One of my friends just went on vacation to Cozumel (by airplane) and the whole time I kept thinking "Why would anybody want to FLY to Cozumel???" :D

For our next vacation, we're headed to Banff and Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies so needless to say, we're not cruising...;)

lakelouise.jpg

Wow, with that photo, you've just added another one to my wish list! I love mountains and I love water, and you've got both there.:D

Wow, with that photo, you've just added another one to my wish list! I love mountains and I love water, and you've got both there.:D

I've been obsessed about going to this place ever since I saw it on a poster and nobody could tell me where it was. Finally, I learned that it was Lake Louise and I started doing my research.

We're flying into Calgary and are looking foward to a nice drive up the mountains, staying at a mountain lodge, going to the Columbia Icefields, riding the Banff Gondola, taking a dip in the hot springs, and just browsing the shops and restaurants around the town of Banff... :D

At the same time, I know that I'll be SUPER ready to cruise next year whe we sail on the Dream!

We were late to discover cruising, so we had plenty of land-based vacations while our kids were small. DS #1 is almost 17 and we drove to Maine when he was 8 months old. We've done Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and many trips to Florida. My DH & I went to Hawaii, B.C. and the Western coast of the U.S. before kids, too. We have had lots of fun for sure, but I definitely find cruising less stressful and more relaxing. Everyone has the option of choosing their day's activities and we all come together for meals. Plus, we only have to unpack once. Driving long distances is not always fun, plus the hassle of finding places to stay, restaurants with vegetarian choices for DS #1, etc. Since I'm the one who makes all the arrangements whatever we do, I find I really enjoy the break of a cruise. We've never been to an AI, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy this as much as I do cruising. Maybe when it's just my DH & I travelling I'll change my mind, but for now, family vacations are what's important. We still want to take the boys to California, Europe (DH has friends and family in Denmark) and I'd love to take the train across Canada, but I would still pick a cruise first, for sure.:)

Heather

I've been obsessed about going to this place ever since I saw it on a poster and nobody could tell me where it was. Finally, I learned that it was Lake Louise and I started doing my research.

We're flying into Calgary and are looking foward to a nice drive up the mountains, staying at a mountain lodge, going to the Columbia Icefields, riding the Banff Gondola, taking a dip in the hot springs, and just browsing the shops and restaurants around the town of Banff... :D

At the same time, I know that I'll be SUPER ready to cruise next year whe we sail on the Dream!

This is on my list, also. I have friends who've done your trip and their pictures are beyond beautiful! Enjoy.

Heather

Archived