Our Jewel T/A - Blarney Stones, Sour Whale Blubber; did I Mention Irish Whiskey?

SailorJack

Sounds like a great cast a few years back, but it was never made. Did you read where one commented that "it was cursed"?

It has been years since I read it--still have the book so may re-read. Had to read the reviews to remind myself...:rolleyes:

The curse comes because several of the people who had been scheduled to appear in the movie died before it could be make. I think two of them were John Belushi and John Candy. It makes an interesting story, but their passing had nothing to do with the movie.

I hope they eventually make the movie..it should be good.

Edited by Baatman

The curse comes because several of the people who had been scheduled to appear in the movie died before it could be make. I think two of them were John Belushi and John Candy. It makes an interesting story, but their passing had nothing to do with the movie.

I hope they eventually make the movie..it should be good.

OK, already...I ordered the book.:D Looking forward to the movie...but based on what I read it is not going to happen soon.:)

Sailor Jack, I thought you said you and Sailor Jill prefer warm weather vacations? Or was the Antarctica reference a joke?

Love your reviews. But you are all over the place in cruise lines. I have been trying to stay with Royal. How do you decide where and with what cruise line?

Sailor Jack, I thought you said you and Sailor Jill prefer warm weather vacations? Or was the Antarctica reference a joke?

Love your reviews. But you are all over the place in cruise lines. I have been trying to stay with Royal. How do you decide where and with what cruise line?

Not a joke. I was obviously not in my right mind when I agreed to Jill's suggestion for this cruise.:)

As you noted, I am not stuck with any particular cruise line. Generally we look at itinerary and price and go from there. We probably lose some perks as we don't climb very high up any particular cruise lines loyalty ladder, but we also experience a greater variety of cruise styles. That said, we have cruised more on RCL and Princess than other lines. Both are great cruise lines, but in all honesty, we have never had a bad cruise experience - regardless of cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...
Not a joke. I was obviously not in my right mind when I agreed to Jill's suggestion for this cruise.:)

As you noted, I am not stuck with any particular cruise line. Generally we look at itinerary and price and go from there. We probably lose some perks as we don't climb very high up any particular cruise lines loyalty ladder, but we also experience a greater variety of cruise styles. That said, we have cruised more on RCL and Princess than other lines. Both are great cruise lines, but in all honesty, we have never had a bad cruise experience - regardless of cruise line.

Sailor Jack, I have spent the last 2 hours reading your reviews and it is now 3:00 am and 2 wine bottles 0:30AM. My 90 year old Mother-in-law woke up asking why I was laughing so hard.

17 cruises and I cannot imagine a cruise that we did not enjoy. Hope someday to meet you on a ship.

Lynda

Sailor Jack, I have spent the last 2 hours reading your reviews and it is now 3:00 am and 2 wine bottles 0:30AM. My 90 year old Mother-in-law woke up asking why I was laughing so hard.

17 cruises and I cannot imagine a cruise that we did not enjoy. Hope someday to meet you on a ship.

Lynda

Two hours reading my reviews? Are you, like, doing penance for a very serious transgression?:D Either that, or it takes a couple of bottles of wine to get through them all!

Look forward to the meeting!

Jack

• 10 months later...

We just got back from Iceland and I took along a copy of your reference to the Thorramatur food. You have said before that you took a little liberty with your descriptions, but you didn't with this! We tasted a little of it, but it was not our thing.:D

I don't know if you watch the program on CCN where the guy goes around the world and eats strange things...I would love to see him in Iceland.

We just got back from Iceland and I took along a copy of your reference to the Thorramatur food. You have said before that you took a little liberty with your descriptions, but you didn't with this! We tasted a little of it, but it was not our thing.:D

I don't know if you watch the program on CCN where the guy goes around the world and eats strange things...I would love to see him in Iceland.

You tasted it? You were braver than we were!

I have seen some episodes of that CNN program and I agree - it would be fun to here him describe a Thorramatur meal.

SailorJack would you please go on a dang cruise and write a review! I'm in serious withdrawal from your exploits!

LOL:D We have been busy with other things so have not cruised for a while.

For our next cruise we are going back to Australia - either on the Radiance of the Seas in September or the Carnival Legend in August. Have not made final plans yet. We haven't sailed on RCL for a while so we are sort of leaning in that direction, but we have never sailed on Carnival so that might be a new experience.

Oh, well...decisions, decisions.:)

• 4 months later...
Two hours reading my reviews? Are you, like, doing penance for a very serious transgression?:D Either that, or it takes a couple of bottles of wine to get through them all!

Look forward to the meeting!

Jack

Hello Jack,

Isn't that the nicest compliment?

I post infrequently on here and one other cruise site and have been fortunate to receive such compliments occasionally,

(e.g. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770405).

It makes up for all the time spent editing down diaries into something that fellow travellers hopefully find informative and entertaining.

Regards

JakTar

Hello Jack,

Isn't that the nicest compliment?

I post infrequently on here and one other cruise site and have been fortunate to receive such compliments occasionally,

(e.g. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1770405).

It makes up for all the time spent editing down diaries into something that fellow travellers hopefully find informative and entertaining.

Regards

JakTar

Thank you for the link. I normally try to read all transatlantic and transpacific reviews as those are my favorite types of cruises, but sadly I missed yours. It was a terrific read. I particularly liked your quote "The Queens Room (Cunard seems to have a curious aversion to apostrophes)":D

(For people looking for an enjoyable and humorous read click on JaKTar's link)

I will have to look for your next review!

Jack, when are cruising again? It seems ages since you posted a review!

We are actually looking at two cruises....a Princess cruise to Tahiti in October and an RCL cruise in the Caribbean in August. Nothing firmed up yet.

We are actually looking at two cruises....a Princess cruise to Tahiti in October and an RCL cruise in the Caribbean in August. Nothing firmed up yet.

Take the August one. This way we don't have to wait an extra 2 months for your review :D

Take the August one. This way we don't have to wait an extra 2 months for your review :D

LOL. Actually, it has been so long since we cruised that we are considering taking them both. The RCL cruise is a 7 day one in the Caribbean and the Princess one is about 3 weeks.

Jack

LOL. Actually, it has been so long since we cruised that we are considering taking them both. The RCL cruise is a 7 day one in the Caribbean and the Princess one is about 3 weeks.

Jack

I hope the RCL one is on the Oasis. Would love to see a SailorJack review of one of the big ships!

We have arrived in England after a pleasant flight from Atlanta and are looking forward to a relaxing day before boarding our ship, the Jewel of the Seas, for our fourth transatlantic voyage. After claiming our luggage, we catch the train to Harwich and settle back with a newspaper to catch up on the local news.

I am not sure if it is due to global warming or the fact that their ancestors wore tights and powdered wigs for two hundred years, but the British slide towards complete eccentricity appears to be accelerating - exceeding even the level to which I have become accustomed. Whatever the cause, I always enjoy reading the English newspapers for their sheer entertainment value; and as I open the paper, I am pleased to see that once again I have not been disappointed:

News Item: The English are now claiming that they (and not the Scots) invented the world’s worst food (Haggis) – claiming they have “discovered” the recipe in an ancient English cookbook from the 1600’s. This claim is quite surprising, as anyone who has ever eaten English cooking knows that they have no need to add to their reputation. The paper even published one of the evening meal recipes in the newly found “Cookery Book”:

DYNAIRE

Step 1. Fyndeth sum kut of olde tuffe meate

Step 2 Boileth til aul flavour hath byn kilt

Step 3. Serveth wyth sum kynde o rawe mashed roote – lyke tournipe, or paersnipe

Clearly, the English have not strayed far from their culinary roots, but, in evolving to a more discerning palate, they have added something called “mushy peas” to the vegetable mix. Made from marrowfat peas, the dish most closely resembles a thick, green, lumpy porridge, and often, during the cooking process, sodium bicarbonate is added to reduce what Wikipedia.org refers to as “later flatulence” – which explains why you rarely see mushy peas served at High Tea. (Note to self: avoid mushy peas at the group dinner tonight.)

News Item: An alert has been issued about several prisoners who have escaped from prison, but (and I swear I am not making this up) prison authorities cannot release their names or pictures, as it would harm their privacy rights. The prison, Hollesley Bay, apparently has an unofficial early release program as 39 unnamed prisoners have walked away over a period of months. The article did not report whether or not prison officials were allowed to give the names of the escaped prisoners to the police. (In retrospect, this may be why the constable at the train station was asking each person boarding the train if they had been to Hollesley Bay recently. Having trouble with his accent, I thought he had said Holliday Bay and said; “ No, but it sounds fun and we might look into it our next trip over.” It was at that point that my privacy rights were violated and I had to show him my passport).

News Item: Radio 4 reported that a man diagnosed as clinically depressed by the National Health Service was scheduled for controversial shock therapy when it was discovered that he was not depressed, but merely Scottish. (He had probably read about the English claims about Haggis!)

At this rate England is going to soon catch up with California. Furthermore, I suspect that on some future trip to England we will find that the entire population has drifted off into the mystical land of Hogsmeade.

But I digress.

Day 1 – Harwich

The English may not have the best culinary skills, but they certainly know how to get people on and off a boat. I guess it comes from their heritage as the greatest maritime nation in the world. The boarding process was smooth and almost as fast as the de-boarding process we experienced when we left the Vision of the Seas in Harwich back in April.

After securing our gear in our stateroom, we had lunch in the Windjammer where we ran into an delightful Canadian couple and spent an interesting hour talking about our upcoming cruise. Then it was off to explore the ship and familiarize ourselves with our home for the next two weeks.

Day 2 (Wednesday) Le Havre, France

Our transatlantic trip is finally underway and after an arduous journey we have finally arrived in France. The whirlwind excitement of boarding, finding our room, meeting people from our roll call, and exploring the ship makes it seem like it was just yesterday that we left Harwich. Wait a minute! It was just yesterday. The first stop on our 4,000-mile transatlantic voyage has occurred after a grueling 20-mile channel crossing. I suspect that the ship left Harwich, waited until we were asleep, and then parked itself in the channel for a few hours before slipping into Le Havre in the wee hours of the morning – simulating a hard night of sailing. I can only hope that we will be in port long enough for the ship to refuel and restock provisions before we leave for an even more arduous day of sailing to Cherbourg - which is a much longer trip of approximately 120 miles.

Occupied by the Germans, Le Havre was heavily damaged during WWII, so many of its administrative, historical and cultural sites were destroyed. The rebuilding of Le Havre was in the neo-modern post-cubist style, which has resulted in the city now being listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site due to: (and I quote from the UNESO.org website) “the innovative exploitation of the potential of concrete”. What! Based on this, I think the innovative ways in which I have applied concrete patching may qualify my driveway for an historical site listing.

The stop in Le Havre basically offers three options for shore leave – (1) a 2-½ hour train ride to visit Paris, (2) a city tour to see how concrete was exploited, or (3) a tour of Normandy and/or Omaha Beach. As we have been to Paris and are really not into exploring the creative uses of concrete, we elect to visit Omaha Beach.

After picking up our rental car I am reminded how sensitive the French are about their language. If you can’t speak it perfectly they prefer you not speak it at all. But I assure SailorJill that, as most Canadians do, I took French in High School and, with all due modesty, am probably still quite proficient. As I am not quite sure about which road to take out of the city, I ask the man picking up the car next to us which was the best road to take to reach the English Channel. Well, as it turns out, my high school French may not be as perfect as I had thought as he glared at me, muttered something and got in his car. The only word I could make out was “idiot” – which I guess is the same in both languages.

I heard some chuckling behind me and a kind gentleman (from Belgium as it turned out) pointed me in the right direction. “By the way”, he said “what you basically said to him was: ‘Can you take me to the best English salted water.’” I thanked him, got in the car, started the engine and wondered how long SailorJill could stifle her laughter. She held out for nearly 30 seconds.

I would describe our visit to Omaha Beach in more detail, but words cannot accurately convey the emotion of that moment. As an Army veteran myself, I can only imagine what ran through the minds of those 19 and 20 year old kids as they stared at the German fortifications as their landing craft crawled towards the beach. Many of those kids never even made it to shore, and over 10,000 Allied soldiers were killed or wounded before that fateful day ended.

The relics, memorials, and cemeteries all highlight the courage and sacrifices of those who fought on both sides on that day and the visit is a sobering one. The drive back to Le Havre is a quiet one as we both reflect on what we saw and learned.

Day 3 (Thursday) Cherbourg, France

Young men often do extraordinarily stupid things when they want to impress a young woman and you may be somewhat surprised to know that I occasionally fell into that category…and Cherbourg, unfortunately, reminds me of one of those times. I was dating SailorJill (well, she wasn’t actually SailorJill at the time) and wanted to impress her with my continental sophistication, so I took her to see a romantic movie that is often called the most beautiful movie ever made - entitled Umbrellas of Cherbourg starring Catherine Deneuve. This, I figured, would score me some BIG points. I should have done my homework. It was a musical with singing dialogue. Not just an occasional song. Every single line of dialogue in that movie was sung. Every single line! In French! I’ve had root canals that were less painful than the two hours I spent waiting for that movie to end. Of course, SailorJill was utterly enthralled by the movie so I had to sit there with a silly grin and pretend that it was a great movie. I don’t know which was more painful – listening to incoherent dialogue sung in French for two hours or nodding and smiling idiotically every time SailorJill glanced my way.

Of course, now that we are here, SailorJill wants to see if we can find the little umbrella boutique from the movie and some of the other filming locales. I think she knows that after all these years the chances of finding any of them will be nearly impossible, but she thinks it would be great fun to try – so we are off to find a guidebook and spend a day exploring Cherbourg.

OK, we’re back. Not much to see in Cherbourg. The best thing was the fairly impressive “City by the Sea” - it is a combination of a museum, an aquarium, and has what is billed as the largest submarine in the world (Le Redoubtable) that allows visitors. It turns out that Cherbourg is where France builds its submarines. Apparently, getting into the submarine building business was a natural for France because, historically, most of its naval ships wound up under water anyhow.

By the way, SailorJill thinks she found the little umbrella boutique – only it was selling adult toys now. Now that would have made an interesting musical!

Day 4 – Cobh, Republic of Ireland

This may be the only major seaport in the world with only one vowel. As cheap as we Scots are deemed to be, the Irish may have bested us here. While the Irish are clearly in love with consonants, one would think that for a mere $250 they could have bought another vowel and come up with a name that could actually be pronounced without learning the Gaelic language.

That said, Cobh is a small, charming port (the arrival of the Jewel increased the population by 30%) that has a great deal of history behind it. This was the last port the Titanic called upon before striking out across the Atlantic - and it was the port to which the survivors of the Lusitania were brought after it was sunk by a German U-boat.

We would like to spend time in Cobh, but because we can’t pronounce its name we would be unable to tell our friends about it, so we elect instead to take a tour to Ballynabrannagh and Knocknagappagh. On the way, our first stop is at Blarney Castle, home to the famed Blarney Stone. Legend has it that those that kiss the stone are granted the gift of gab and eloquence and I am eager to acquire those skills.

ALERT! Contrary to my earlier perceptions, the stone is not a large rock set in the earth. It is a stone that is part of the castle wall. To kiss the stone one must climb to the very top of the castle’s battlements, lean over backwards while someone either sits on your legs or holds your feet, hang your head 300 feet out over the ground below, reach across to the opposite wall and grasp an iron rail in order to kiss what Tripadvisor.com calls “the most unhygienic tourist attraction in the world.”

HIGH ALERT! In describing the appearance of the stone, Wikipedia.com reports, “Apart from discoloration and wear caused by human contact, the stone is not readily distinguishable from its neighbors.” In other words, the saliva from 300,000 people a year has so stained and etched this particular rock that along with the Great Wall of China it might well be one of only two manmade artifacts easily discernable from outer space. I suspect that by now it may well glow in the dark as well! Lord only knows what new life form may emerge from the thick layer of primordial ooze that must now cover the stone!

As I would be unable to spray the stone with the sanitizer I brought while spread-eagled backwards over a wall 300 feet in the air, I decide that the gift of gab may not be all it’s cracked up to be and graciously offer my place in line to SailorJill.

Day 5 – Belfast, Northern Ireland

We have arrived in Belfast, Northern Ireland - a relatively small country approximately the size of Central Park.If Northern Ireland were a person, its name would be Monk and it would be in intense therapy, with standing appointments every Monday and Friday afternoon. It suffered deep trauma as a result of its breakup with the Republic of Ireland, went into a deep depression over the loss of the Titanic, experienced nearly thirty years of personal Troubles, and has developed a bit of an inferiority complex as a result of its sibling rivalry with the Republic of Ireland. (Example: On the music scene, the Republic of Ireland has the well-known groups U2 and Celtic Woman; Northern Ireland, on the other hand, is stuck with Stiff Little Fingers and Putrefy.) And, adding insult to injury, just when things were starting to look up and it got a new low cost air service to the Belfast airport, it finds out that it may have to pay to use the airplane’s toilet. Talk about developing low self-esteem! Despite all of this, the country is now starting to experience strong growth and can look forward to the day when it can get up off the couch and give that time slot to Portugal.

This is SailorJill’s first visit to Northern Ireland, so we rent a car; buy as much insurance as they would sell us, and head out – remembering to drive on the left hand side of the road after receiving several international gestures of good-will. There is so much to see in this beautiful country, but our time is so short that we are severely limited in our options – so we elect to visit the attractions in northern County Antrim. Our first stop is at Bushmills distillery; makers, over the past several centuries, of exceptionally fine blended and single barrel malt whiskies. Highlight of the tour (of course) is the opportunity to sample some of that fine Irish whiskey.

After the tour we head for the Giant’s Causeway – a stunningly unique geographical formation made up of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns – and voted by Britons as the fourth greatest ancient natural wonder in the United Kingdom (narrowly edging out Keith Richards). It is only 3 miles from Bushmills, but after 30 minutes of driving SailorJill is apparently becoming somewhat concerned that we will miss the ship’s departure.

“Admit it,” she said, “you’re lost!”

“I can’t be lost, I still have gas in the tank.” (One cannot be lost whilst one still has enough gas to drive to where one is going!)

“I just don’t understand it. You could find a 300-year-old distillery in the middle of nowhere without missing a turn, but you can’t find the Atlantic Ocean or the northern coast of an island when it was only 3 miles away!”

I have to admit she had a point, but under the circumstances I didn’t think it wise to tell her that I had visited Bushmills on several previous occasions when I was working in Belfast. I was looking for a suitable response to SailorJill’s concerns when, validating my keen sense of direction, we spot the Atlantic Ocean out my side window; and within minutes, we are at the Giant’s Causeway.

While it may have been one of the longest 3-mile drives we have ever taken, the stunning panorama before us made the trip well worthwhile! One can understand why earlier visitors thought these columns were manmade - to wit, by a Giant named Finn MacCool - which is a really great name! If we have a son I want to name him that. (As it is, we have a daughter and named her Alexis because if we hadn’t had her we could be driving one.) But I digress. The columns are hexagonal in shape and some stand as high as 40 feet tall. They are so uniform in shape that they look like they were chiseled by a master stonemason and lined up side by side to form, well, to form a giant causeway. They march from the base of the cliffs out to sea and disappear under the water – forming a road – according to legend - so that Finn could walk to Scotland to fight his brother, Benan Donner (no relation to Blitzen or Dasher).

Actually formed by volcanic eruptions some 60 million years ago, the Causeway is spectacular and well worth the visit. While I would have liked to walk along the scenic trail overlooking the rock formations, our time is running short so we head for our final stop, the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge.

We find the bridge with no trouble and while it is very nice, it pales in comparison to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, which is just up the road from where I lived in North Vancouver. The Carrick-a-Rede Bridge is about 60 long and 90 feet high compared to Capilano’s 450-foot span and 230 foot height. Still, it is a pleasant diversion. But time is at a premium, so we elect not to tarry, but to return to Belfast and the Jewel. Unfortunately, SailorJill refuses to stop by Bushmills on the way back. Oh, well.

Day 6 – Somewhere in the North Atlantic

This evening we were invited to a cocktail gathering with the Captain. After going through the reception line, we were each handed a glass of champagne and invited to mingle with the other guests. As we headed towards a group of elegantly dressed passengers I furiously worked on an opening comment that would quickly establish myself as an interesting and dynamic conversationalist. After completing our introductions, an elderly man in an immaculate tuxedo announced to the group, “I was the first openly gay policeman in the United States.” My God, the man was brilliant! Not only had he thought up a comment that was contemporary, but also one that was both edgy and provocative. In one preemptive move he had negated the clever opening line I was going to use - “I organize my sock drawer by color” - and solidly established himself as the Alpha Male of the group.

I don’t know what it is about cruise ship conversations, but either the first or second question is usually, “Where are you from”? As the inevitable question was asked of me, I responded, “British Columbia” and all other conversation stopped as the group eyed me

Rofl!!!! Just so you know...it's quite easy to pronounce most of our Irish place names and in fact, Cork is one of the easiest! Cobh is said like 'cove' as in Pirates Cove etc. So easy and even better for the stonemasons working on the milemarkers!!

I was watching a British cruise channel on tv and they can't handle it either....Cob this and Cob that....no no no we are not ears of corn, thank you very much!

Totally agree about Blarney...ewww...I could talk for Ireland anyway but I'd never kiss a rock to get better at it!!!

Love the image of Northern Ireland being our slightly bipolar sibling....must ask the tourist board to put that in the description!!! Forget the Wild Atlantic Way come visit the eccentric cousins and don't forget to bring grapes (wine accepted also)

Love reviews like this...keep up the good work!

Slainte!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Forums mobile app

Rofl!!!! Just so you know...it's quite easy to pronounce most of our Irish place names and in fact, Cork is one of the easiest! Cobh is said like 'cove' as in Pirates Cove etc. So easy and even better for the stonemasons working on the milemarkers!!

I was watching a British cruise channel on tv and they can't handle it either....Cob this and Cob that....no no no we are not ears of corn, thank you very much!

Totally agree about Blarney...ewww...I could talk for Ireland anyway but I'd never kiss a rock to get better at it!!!

Love the image of Northern Ireland being our slightly bipolar sibling....must ask the tourist board to put that in the description!!! Forget the Wild Atlantic Way come visit the eccentric cousins and don't forget to bring grapes (wine accepted also)

Love reviews like this...keep up the good work!

Slainte!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Forums mobile app

Glad you enjoyed it.

As I alluded in my review I have spent considerable time in Ireland. I had a factory in Belfast and one weekend my car was stolen out of the hotel parking lot, packed with dynamite and blown up (a critique on my cruise reviews?). After that I would drive down to Dublin on week-ends and explore Ireland.

I fell in love with both Northern Ireland and Ireland - both beautiful countries. I envy you living in Ireland!

sláinte mhaith

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

Jack

Yes! Do both. And maybe add a 3rd. In the mean time I am going to re-read your older reviews for the 29th time.

Hooray! Another SailorJack review in the near future. Would love to hear all about Tahiti from your perspective. Enjoy your trip if you decide to go and hello from the Marietta/Kennesaw area!

Yes! Do both. And maybe add a 3rd. In the mean time I am going to re-read your older reviews for the 29th time.

LOL. You must have a high tolerance for pain!:D

Speaking of rereading, I went back and reread your Oasis review as Jill wants to try that ship. It was a great review and I enjoyed the humor, but I could have done without the picture of that gawd-awful sandwich!:D

Hooray! Another SailorJack review in the near future. Would love to hear all about Tahiti from your perspective. Enjoy your trip if you decide to go and hello from the Marietta/Kennesaw area!

Thanks. We are practically neighbors - we are in the Milton/Alpharetta area.