Do we need a permit to snorkel?

globalwife

I've been reading about the permit needed to snorkel in Bonaire. We are planning to just snorkel a couple of hours with our own equipment not too far away from the ship. Will we need to buy the permit? Is it enforced? Did you get one when you went there?

http://www.stinapa.org/naturefee.html

In many places there are underwater areas that are considered "protected", sometimes considered underwater marine parks. Many times there is a small fee collected to snorkel in these areas, even if you are on your own. Usually the amount is just the equivalent of a few U.S. dollars at most. There is usually some way of collecting these fees easily enough from those who enter the area. Perhaps someone else can help you with fees in Bonaire, and which areas charge them.

As far as I know it is required by law. Bonaire is a friendly Island so I don't think you will be fined nor put in jail :D. But to contribute to the maintenance of the Park maybe you should pay the $10 nature fee or the $25 year pass....?

To maintain a Marine Park cost a lot of money these days...:)

Enjoy the Park and Bonaire. http://www.bmp.org/admission.html

• 8 months later...

If you take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire, $2 of the fare is the one day nature park charge. You could probably pay it at any dive shop as well. This was the case a year ago, so it may have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I was the one that started this post. We went in January and we didn't see anywhere to buy the permit, and we didn't have any problem just snorkeling on our own without the permit. We stayed close to the walkway near the port and went out to Airport Beach.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading about the permit needed to snorkel in Bonaire. We are planning to just snorkel a couple of hours with our own equipment not too far away from the ship. Will we need to buy the permit? Is it enforced? Did you get one when you went there?

http://www.stinapa.org/naturefee.html

Yes you can buy it at any dive shop

Archived