Deep-Sea Fishing on HMC?

Archie's Mom

Any opinions on the deep-sea fishing excursion on Half Moon Cay? We are 2 sisters and DHs travelling together. My sister and I (and even my DH) will be happy to stay in our rented cabana all day, but her DH is likely to become restless. He is a well-seasoned sport fisherman from Galveston, TX where he has fished from his own boat for years. Will this fishing trip be a good choice for him or is it for beginners? Here's the catch: he doesn't know yet that he is going on this cruise and we want it to be just perfect when she tells him. We are sailing in January.

About ten years ago my wife and I went fishing out of HMC. The boat was an outboard about 18 feet long, and the guide was a local from a nearby island. We fished by trolling a mile or two off the beach and caught a few small tuna and a barracuda. This certainly was no big game fishing trip and was spartan, but it was far better than sitting under a cabana.

I've done this excursion twice, and would go again in a heartbeat. The skipper is a great guy. You fish for about two hours. They start trollling just off the island. I've caught Barracuda, Wahoo and Dolphin. We had one fish on that we fought for 45 minutes, and never saw, it was so big! Captain thought it was probably a BIG shark.

Have fun,

AG

My DH has also done the deep-sea fishing at HMC several times. In fact, he's thinking about taking this excursion back-to-back on our next Westerdam cruise. Good captain, fun experience, good catching opportunities. He loves it. (And I can stay on the ship in the thermal suite!)

Second their opinions.

Have done it couple times. Cought mostly barracuda but had a great time, and that is what it is all about.

Besides, I got peace and quiet away from my wife for several house and that was PRICELESS,

Jim (without Ruth)

Jim: I hope Ruth does not read your response. I am 70 and have not fished since I was 15 and that was with a bamboo pole and worm. I believe they called it "still-fishing!" My question is would I be out of place if I were to go on one of these fishing excurisons.

DH and I went last year and he and the other man on the trip landed barracuda (3 or 4 big ones), a mahi dolphin (25 lb), and one or two other good eating fish that the crew kept. After seeing the size of the fish, I became the official photographer. Great couple of hours and well worth the money. Book it early, they only take 3 people per trip and there were only two trips offered.

The boats are not charter-sized, at least not the size of the charter boats in Florida. The specific boats vary, but they are about 26. ft. boats, crew of two (captain and mate). Drinks are available. If it's rough, it's not the place for someone who gets seasick. But if you like to fish, it's a good excursion.

Archived