New to Miami ?'s

PittsburghGirlee

I have cruised 5 times prior, but this is my first from Miami.

How far is the cruiseport from the Airport?

I am not sure I could afford SouthBeach area as we usually spend about $100.00 a night for a hotel. Is there one in that price range in MIA that is close to the port, the only requirment I have is a nice pool area as I do not swim in the ocean.

Also, if I use priceline, what area do I select?

One last item, if the flight is cheaper, I just may fly into FLL and use SAS to shuttle to hotel. If so, is there a shuttle that would take us from a FLL hotel to the cruiseport in MIA or does this sound nutz???

Many thanks:D

I have cruised 5 times prior, but this is my first from Miami.

How far is the cruiseport from the Airport?

I am not sure I could afford SouthBeach area as we usually spend about $100.00 a night for a hotel. Is there one in that price range in MIA that is close to the port, the only requirment I have is a nice pool area as I do not swim in the ocean.

Also, if I use priceline, what area do I select?

One last item, if the flight is cheaper, I just may fly into FLL and use SAS to shuttle to hotel. If so, is there a shuttle that would take us from a FLL hotel to the cruiseport in MIA or does this sound nutz???

Many thanks:D

Unless there is a big convention going on in Miami Beach the begining of May, your dates are off season and you can easily get South Beach off hotwire for $100.

Fair warning. A standard room in South Beach is a room for two people. A room for four is an upgrade and you will be charged more. Do not try and priceline South Beach for more than two or traditionally book two and fit four in a room.

The rooms are two small for rollaways and usually only fit one double bed.

Trust me, you do not want to stay downtown or at the airport in Miami.

MIA is 20 minutes from Port of Miami. I'll second staying in South Beach, it's just across the causeway from Port of Miami and is a much more pleasant place to stay. Early May the rates will be among the cheapest of the year.

If you fly into FLL instead consider the cost of transportation and the inconvenience of it all, generally it's not worth the hassle.

You don't need SAS to take you to a hotel in Ft Lauderdale, just grab a taxi. If you did stay up there however then you could use SAS to take you from a Ft Lauderdale hotel to Port of Miami.

Thanks so much for the input. I am hoping to find a direct flight to MIA.

What hotel suggestions for South Beach area? I have been reading about the Mariott which seems to be the favorite. Is this correct?

There are several Marriotts. The Marriott Courtyard South Beach is a very nice hotel for those on a budget. It's in a great location 2 blocks from the beach and in the middle of everything... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miacb-courtyard-miami-beach-south-beach/

Doubletree Surfcomber is a good lower cost choice if you want something directly on the beach... http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/MIAOFDT-Doubletree-Surfcomber-Hotel-Miami-South-Beach-Florida/index.do

If you want something nicer Loews is a favorite, wonderful hotel directly on the beach... http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Hotels/Miami-Beach-Hotel/Overview.aspx

There are so many hotels on South Beach though for almost every budget (within reason), but be careful with some of the really cheap places. Cheap in Miami can be very scary.

I'm looking for a hotel in South Beach for 4-16-10 and 4-24-10 1 night each pre/ post vaca would it be able to get one for under $100.00 that time of year? any reccomendations? Do any hotels have an airport shuttle or should we keep our rental car?

Thanks

No South Beach hotels have shuttles, but parking in South Beach can be very expensive. If you just want beach, shopping, dining, everything is easily walkable in South Beach, you don't need a car. It's just across the causeway from the port and 30 minutes from MIA, I'd just grab a cab for that. Taxi fares between MIA and South Beach are fixed at $32... http://www.miami-airport.com/html/taxi_and_shuttle_service.html

Under $100 per night you would be best off using Priceline or Hotwire. I can only think of one place off the top of my head that would be that cheap by booking directly and it's pretty scary.

It is rare for South Beach hotels to drop under $100 per night. One of the reasons is that South Beach has such a plethora of five star accommodations.

Three star hotels in South Beach would be four to five stars anywhere else. The amenities that these "moderate" hotels in South Beach have are pretty awesome.

The Loews and Doubletree Surfcomber would be destination resorts themselves if they were in another location. In South Beach they are moderate hotels. Even the Ritz-Carlton South Beach is far from the nicest hotel in SB. The Hyatt's crown jewel, The Hotel Victor, doesn't even carry the Hyatt name.

Pittsburgh, make double and triple sure if you book the Courtyard Marriott it is the Courtyard Marriott South Beach and NOT Courtyard Marriott Miami Beach.

• 2 months later...
Just an update.....

I went ahead and used priceline and bid $100.00 and got the Courtyard By Marriott Miami South..

Thanks for everyone's advice as I was really nervous about bidding.

Hope I did ok:confused::confused::confused:

Courtyard Marriott South is different from Miami Beach or South Beach. Which Courtyard did you get? The one in Miami Beach would be my last choice just because of the location.

We just won the downtown Hilton on priceline for $59. It has a rooftop pool & is less than a mile from the port. I gave up trying to get something cheap in South Beach New Years Eve weekend.

Before & after I bid, I always check betterbidding.com & tripadvisor.

While all hotels are a bit different we won a great Marriott in Paris last year for our HM. That is when I became a huge priceline fan.

Courtyard Marriott South is different from Miami Beach or South Beach. Which Courtyard did you get? The one in Miami Beach would be my last choice just because of the location.

This is the address of the Courtyard. I am keeping my figners crossed it was the right one. :eek::eek: If not, guess I am screwed and stuck with it....

Please let me know....

Fingers crossed:D

Courtyard By Marriott Miami South

1530 Washington Avenue

Miami Beach, Florida 33139

This is the address of the Courtyard. I am keeping my figners crossed it was the right one. :eek::eek: If not, guess I am screwed and stuck with it....

Please let me know....

Fingers crossed:D

Courtyard By Marriott Miami South

1530 Washington Avenue

Miami Beach, Florida 33139

That is the South Beach Courtyard Marriott. They have a fantastic rooftop pool! Congrats!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived