Driving after dark

Does anyone know why the AAA travel book on Mexico strongly recommends against driving at night? I could maybe understand that recommendation at a few locations but it's stated for every location. Just curious

Diane

Legend of the Sea 9/12/04

Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03

Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

I don't know if its still the same,as its been about 9 years since I have been.But the last time we stayed,we flew into Cancun,and took that lovely bus ride into Playa Del Carmen.We took a snorkle tour,to a cave,and a remote beach area.We passed numerous armed checkpoints and barracades.Our guide told us we were on the main "drug trafficing hwy" leading straigt to CA.

Also,some of this has died down,as I think they have made an arrest.But there was also a big scare in Cancun last summer about women tourist being kidnapped and raped.This is in highly populated tourist areas!!Also,you have a greater chance of simply getting lost once you leave the confines of any of Mexicos Cities.

Yeah,I know.Chances of getting involved in a attack are probably higher here in Houston,but tourists,out of their element, are always a high target.

Rhapsody Reunion 9-12-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

netdiver.gif

Thanks for the info. We are doing the mexican riveria so I think I'll stick with the ship excursions this time around

Diane

It's very easy to do your own excursions in the Mexican Riviera, I just wouldn't recommend renting a car. They drive horribly, the traffic is bad, and its risky to rent a car many places in Mexico. You can save a lot of money planning your own excursions, and just hire a driver or a cab. There are plenty of them. icon_smile.gif

I am doing the Mex Riv...and am definately, as always, booking my own excursions...but will not rent a car in Mexico...just as the last response mentioned.

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Do you have any recommendations on who to book with. I did my own excursions on VOS and was very pleased

Diane

There never seems to be enough time in Cabo to do much of anything. For PV and Mazatlan, you should check the ports of call board to see what interests you. In Mexico, most of the "excursions" will be available from various drivers as you depart the ship. If you want to do things like horseback riding with Randi, you would need to book those in advance.

Decide what you would like to see in advance of your cruise. You won't have any problem finding someone to take you. Senior Frogs in Mazatlan is fun after a day of sightseeing/shopping. The Volkswagon Thing/golf carts that you take back to the ship are an excursion in, and of themselves. Think Mr.Toad's Wild Ride.

The Mexican Riviera is very different from the Caribbean. PV and Cabo are touristy type ports, Mazatlan is more industrial, and a working class sort of city. Enjoy your cruise! icon_smile.gif

I usually go to the RCCL site and see what excursions they offer...then from that I pick what interests me...then I put in my browser...ex...Mazatlan deep sea fishing...and BOOM!!! RCCL is charging outragious prices for fishing...I was able to find a company that you pay per boat...not per person...we will be saving a fortune. On RCCL's site...it says they don't guarantee that the Captain will even speak English...on this site that I found...every Captain is english speaking...it includes live bait...on RCCL live bait is extra. Then I of course do some research to make sure it is a reputable company. It does pay to be a little bit of a neurotic planner...we've done the most wonderful excursions on all of our cruises for 1/2 the price...I can't believe to hear that people are paying thousands for their excursions on 1 cruise.

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Archived