Repositioning Cruises

AuntieBarb

The airfare usually makes repos out of our price range. Living in the midwest not near any major hubs, it makes it more difficult to score deals.

I just asked the question elsewhere here if people tend to spend more money on repo cruises due to more sea days. The few people that answered said no.

You might want to recheck airfares. Open Jaw (that is what it is called when you fly into one city and home from a different one) airfares are actually quite reasonable. It is not like the old days of buying 2 one way airfares. This is our third year in a row of taking a repo cruise and our our airfares have been cheaper than round trips for our Spring cruise.

PE

how would you know my cabin number? but i'm very excited and i'm trying to surprise my husband..(if i can stand it!)

if you want to email me privately, let me know; and i am on the 11/01/09 dawn thread!

s

If you got your upsell in the last few days you probably have a forward facing cabin. The only reason I say that is that we were hoping for a upsell because we have had that cabin before, and that cabin was just sold to make our cruise a sell out.

I don't have your email. Look forward to meeting at the Meet & Greet.

PE

Open Jaw (that is what it is called when you fly into one city and home from a different one) airfares are actually quite reasonable. It is not like the old days of buying 2 one way airfares.

Absolutely right. There are very reasonable -- or at least comparable to plain old RT tickets -- fares to be had on open jaw domestic flights these days.

If you do a transatlantic, you can still get deals for one international leg and one domestic leg. Or you can buy affordable international one-way tickets online through the Best Travel Store. We once did that for a transatlantic and then just bought one-way tickets home from Miami, where the ship landed. Several airlines going to Florida, where transatlantics often start or end up -- Spirit Air is one example -- sell one-way fares as a matter of course. Southwest also does this, but I can't recall right now if they fly to FL or NYC (another transatlantic landing/departure spot) and I'm too lazy to look.

35 days! 35 days! (Dawn's Repo 11-1-09 Roll Call Link is in my siggy!)

i'll be with you on that 11/01 repo cruise! best bang for the buck; got an upsell!!!!! will be in a suite! so incredibly looking forward to this; i keep hearing that "bing" when you put your card into the i.d. machine when you get back on the ship!

sonja and jeff

Hi Sonja! I'll have you know I got the biggest smile when you said you could hear that "bing" when getting your card swiped. I can hear it now too! :) :) :)

The airfare usually makes repos out of our price range. Living in the midwest not near any major hubs, it makes it more difficult to score deals.

I just asked the question elsewhere here if people tend to spend more money on repo cruises due to more sea days. The few people that answered said no.

It all depends upon how you look at it. Over all we may spend more, because we're on the ship for a longer duration, but combine onboard expenses with the greal deals on the cruise fare, I'd say our total expense is probably about the same or even less!. Average expenditures per day? No difference.

I had to go to London last April for some medical issues.

I had the option of a 10-hour flight.... or a relaxing 11-day cruise!!

The cruise was cheaper than the flight... and we got upgraded from an OV to a wonderful aft balcony....... perfect!!

Aaaaahhhhhh..... it's the only way to travel!!!!! :)

Repositioning cruises? Who likes them and why?

We're headed out in just 36 more days on the Dawn's repo to Miami 11/1/09. 14 days! Woohoo! (Still looking for more to join our roll call. I know you're out there!)

My favorite part is the length and the special itineraries. :)

It depends on the ship and the intinerary. I loved the No Atlantic crossing and am looking forward to the Pearl re-po in April, but I don't think I want to do an Atlantic (southern crossing) I might be ok with it, DH would go nuts with all those sea days.

Nita

I had to go to London last April for some medical issues.

I had the option of a 10-hour flight.... or a relaxing 11-day cruise!!

The cruise was cheaper than the flight... and we got upgraded from an OV to a wonderful aft balcony....... perfect!!

Aaaaahhhhhh..... it's the only way to travel!!!!! :)

Have been thinking of taking a TransAtlantic in Spring. How was the weather and sea conditions while crossing. Could you sit out on deck or was it too chilly? While I enjoy sea days, don't know about 6 days in a row. Were there more activities going on than on regular cruises?

As of right now NCL.com shows our repo completely soldout.

PE

Not sure of the status right this moment, but I saw a few staterooms open up in inventory for the Dawn Repo (including AF, AC, AD), in case anyone out there was still hoping! ;)

Not sure of the status right this moment, but I saw a few staterooms open up in inventory for the Dawn Repo (including AF, AC, AD), in case anyone out there was still hoping! ;)

Those aft ADs are super! Twist Paul's arm???:rolleyes:

Sticking with the Spirit. Repos are usually great deals if you book early! This is our 4th. 5th booked already for 2010. Have a great trip:D

Jim&Judi

Last Spring, we did a 17 day Transatlantic on the Princess Emerald from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen, Denmark. It was our best cruise yet. To save on air fare from Copenhagen, we bought a round trip ticket. We recently booked a similar cruise next April on the Princess Grand from Fort Lauderdale to London. We like the TAs for the sea days and the price. I started thinking that I could make use of the round trip airfare by booking a TA in the fall from London. Unfortunately, it looked like most Westbound cruises were nearly twice the Eastbound cruise. Until I found NCL. I booked a 12 day TA on the Sun October 2010 from London to Orlando for almost a third of what it would have cost on Princess. Only two port days, too.

Hi Jim,

Does that one stop in Key West? Only been there once (HAL cruise) but I wouldn't mind going back.

Hi Lee! No Key West:( (Boston; Samana; Tortola; St. Kitts; Barbados; Curacao; Aruba; Roatan; Cozumel; New Orleans 2010: Oct 23) You and Betty have a great cruise! Take care of the Dawn ( & PE) in Nov.;)

Jim&Judi:cool:

Hi Lee! No Key West:( (Boston; Samana; Tortola; St. Kitts; Barbados; Curacao; Aruba; Roatan; Cozumel; New Orleans 2010: Oct 23) You and Betty have a great cruise! Take care of the Dawn ( & PE) in Nov.;)

Jim&Judi:cool:

Thanks.

Too bad. When you get to Samana this year, stick around an extra day and we'll have a drink. ;)

Hope you and Judi have a great cruise.

Oops...I just realized you're going to be a week ahead of us.

That may be a little long to wait! :D

Those aft ADs are super! Twist Paul's arm???:rolleyes:

Sticking with the Spirit. Repos are usually great deals if you book early! This is our 4th. 5th booked already for 2010. Have a great trip:D

Jim&Judi

We're just fine and dandy where we're at, Jim! :p

We did an 11-day repo in April.... Miami to Dover on the Jewel.... we loved it!!

9 of the days were sea days.... we didn't get bored at all..... we had a great time!!

I was on that cruise too. It was my 3rd april repo on NCL. I know the London airport by heart. I love repo's because i like the long 'ship experience, so many activities, and so many nice people to meet and hang out with. Because i travel solo, these trips are also so much cheaper than others......i dont have to pay "double" for double occupancy. so i will book my next 'APRIL' repo between christmas and new years when the prices plummet.

I was on that cruise too. It was my 3rd april repo on NCL. I know the London airport by heart. I love repo's because i like the long 'ship experience, so many activities, and so many nice people to meet and hang out with. Because i travel solo, these trips are also so much cheaper than others......i dont have to pay "double" for double occupancy. so i will book my next 'APRIL' repo between christmas and new years when the prices plummet.

Still trying to find out what the weather is like in April while transAtlantic. I know it probably won't be bathing suit weather but is it warm enough to sit out on deck or balcony?

Archived