Getting off the boat in a timely manner on debarkation day?

rmartin1286

This year is the first time ever I'm going to have to drive all the way from Miami to almost the top of South Carolina (about a 10 hour drive if you don't stop at all) and I'm concerned about being able to get off the boat in a timely fashion so we can at least get home before midnight.

Last year, we did the "carry your own luggage off" option that was *supposed* to save us time but didn't. Is there any way that you can get off the boat earlier? I've never had to worry about this on previous cruises because I was always driving somewhere else to stop on the way back, but it isn't an option this year (I've got to go back to work the next day...ugh) and I'm pretty worried about it. Is there any way you can get off the boat earlier than when they call your section?

I wonder why you didn't save time by "taking your own luggage" We just got off of the Glory last weekend. Some of our group are FLA. residents. Some are "platinum", so they got off around 7:30am. Could it be that it took a while for customs to clear the ship?

Joe<---Glory down...now on to the Oasis! :D

I think the self carry is a crap shoot, it depends on how many others are thinking the same thing. I've gotten off quickly at times and been smooshed between other eager beavers others.

We decided it's not worth it to us and just plan later flights.

I suggest you talk to the pursers desk at the start of the cruise and ask them. They can and do issue some people the first off tags if you have a valid reason for being off early.

Hope you have a great time!!1

Carole

This year is the first time ever I'm going to have to drive all the way from Miami to almost the top of South Carolina (about a 10 hour drive if you don't stop at all) and I'm concerned about being able to get off the boat in a timely fashion so we can at least get home before midnight.

Last year, we did the "carry your own luggage off" option that was *supposed* to save us time but didn't. Is there any way that you can get off the boat earlier? I've never had to worry about this on previous cruises because I was always driving somewhere else to stop on the way back, but it isn't an option this year (I've got to go back to work the next day...ugh) and I'm pretty worried about it. Is there any way you can get off the boat earlier than when they call your section?

Find a Platinum cruiser who isn't going to use their "Priority" self assist tags and buy them a drink to give them to you. That's all you need to be allowed into the Lobby and be among the 1st 20 or 30 off the ship. They always give sister and I about 4 each and we only need 2.

I think the self carry is a crap shoot, it depends on how many others are thinking the same thing. I've gotten off quickly at times and been smooshed between other eager beavers others.

We decided it's not worth it to us and just plan later flights.

I suggest you talk to the pursers desk at the start of the cruise and ask them. They can and do issue some people the first off tags if you have a valid reason for being off early.

Hope you have a great time!!1

Carole

We thought that by carrying our luggage off instead of having the baggage people take it that it would save us some time last year, but we didn't get off the boat until after 10:00, which was a big time waste for us. I didn't know you could go talk to the people at the purser's desk, thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Find a Platinum cruiser who isn't going to use their "Priority" self assist tags and buy them a drink to give them to you. That's all you need to be allowed into the Lobby and be among the 1st 20 or 30 off the ship. They always give sister and I about 4 each and we only need 2.

Or just buy them off eBay beforehand.

We found now that they are checking cards AND the letters sent to the VIP'S for early debarkation. Others without these were asked to return to their rooms. I usually throw out letters but very glad I happen to have thrown it in my carry on.

We did self-debark in Tampa and couldn't have had an easier time. We waited a few minutes after they announced we could depart, walked into an uncrowded elevator, off the ship and through customs before we could blink. We hopped into a waiting taxi and were at the airport by a few minutes after 8am. I'm not sure if we just got exxtremely lucky, but it was way easier than sitting around and waiting for your number to be called.

I'll never go back to the old method.

The only problem we had was waiting at the airport. I wish I had booked an earlier flight.

Getting off the SPLENDOR 3 weeks ago as a PLATINUM cruiser, when first called, I could see that the elevators were jammed (lots of anxious paxs), so I went down the stairway (from deck 8 to deck 3). Walked through the Atrium Bar and right off the ship. Customs asked one question, "Are you an American citizen?" Slicker than snot. :D

Biggest holdup was forgetting where I parked my truck in the garage ! ! :rolleyes:Home in 40 minutes.:)

Has anyone done the self debark off the Ecstasy in Galveston? (non platnum cruiser)

If so, how was it? I've left out of Galveston twice and did regular debark both times and it was a mess both times. Hoping for a little smoother debark carrying off my own luggage.

Has anyone done the self debark off the Ecstasy in Galveston? (non platnum cruiser)

If so, how was it? I've left out of Galveston twice and did regular debark both times and it was a mess both times. Hoping for a little smoother debark carrying off my own luggage.

We have been there twice, both times it was slow, once delayed by 4 hours because of fog closing the port. I guess it is just Galveston? :eek: Lots of luck . JY.

Cruisers have became more savvy and take less clothing, the self assist has increased many fold. Also you will see passengers with huge amounts of luggage, some unmanageable as self assist. By observation over the past couple of years Carnival will have to go to a numbering system for self assist as the volume increases. Just off the Miracle and Inspiration this year I would guess 30 - 40 % were self assist.

My guess 60 - 70 % in next couple of years.

Archived