Blackbeard's Stingray or Treasure Hunt?

gusandgidgetsmom

We did the Stingray tour in July and really enjoyed it. Here's the excerpt from my review:

This time we booked the Blackbeard's Cay with Stingrays excursion through Carnival. This was a fun way to spend a day in Nassau. There's a ½ hour ride to Blackbeard's (on the same island as Sandals Resort). When we arrived, we went over to a beach to the side of the main beach, where you do the stingray snorkel. If you have kids who aren't yet comfortable with snorkeling, this beach is a great way to introduce them. It's shallow and calm. Our youngest had never done very well with snorkeling until now, but he had a great time at this beach. And aside from the stingrays, we found plenty of other fish to view. One of the staff came out with food for the stingrays - you just have to be careful that the fish don't get the food before the rays! They don't set a time limit on your snorkeling, but after a while we went over to the main beach area. This excursion comes with lunch - hamburger/hot dog, chips and a soda. Then back on the boat to Nassau. We didn't do too much else in Nassau - a little shopping, that was about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. We have this Stingray excursion booked for the first stop on our trip next month. It's our first cruise and will be my kids' (ages 10 & 7) first time snorkeling. We are very excited!!

I just talked to Carnival today. They have dropped Blackbeard's Cay from their shore excursions. I booked mine in July for our trip in late Nov. They are refunding everyone's money. I'm trying to find a way to book the same trip locally.

I saw where it has been dropped! The have a beach getaway that goes to a "local " beach, wonder where they take you? I thought most of the beaches were not public, except for cabbage..which has no facilities so i doubt it is here. For $40, I don't know where. They now have the Wyndham for $70 per person, we did that on our own last yr and $70 is too much for what it is even with lunch.

• 1 month later...

Even though I wasn't very impressed, we had a great time because we always do even if the excursion sucks! LOL! And the bartenders were really cool.

We did this excursion through Royal Caribbean. The island is clean. The water was cold in January, but we expected that. It is rather small. I can't imagine how packed it must get in peak times!

The Sting Ray portion of the excursion was lame. If you never have done a Sting Ray excursion, you might really like it, but I've really lucked out with some experiences such as Sting Ray City in the Grand Cayman on a Radiance of the Seas Cruise and Theatre of the Sea in Islamorada, FL (in the Keys).

For me, this was really boring except when we inadvertently caused a near slap fight between vendors. They are not pushy like in some places but one vendor got upset with the other vendor when we changed our mind and decided to buy a similar item from her. I feel bad because business was slow, but it was kind of funny to see them fighting. I thought we were going to have a Jerry Springer incident. In fact, we didn't even end up buying it. We sent my boyfriend over to buy it because we were scared! LOL!

I would pass on this excursion if you have done Stingray Excursion before, and definitely if you are going during peak season. It was also very short! I thought we would be able to stay longer and get our own ride back, but they don't have a public ferry to take you back to port.

We are going to Nassau in July on Disney Wonder. I've been there several times, but I've never stayed on the ship while it was at port. I think we might just do that this time and take advantage of the Spa Specials and less crowded pool! We stop TWICE at Castaway Cay which I am really excited about so we'll get plenty of island/beach time!

In Aug 09 we did Blackbeards excursion and it was horrible. We saw 1 fish and a dead crab, that was it. The water was milky and very choppy. They rent jet skis right beside of the snorkel area and you are constantly pounded by waves. We got out of the water about 30 minutes early because we were so bored. You literally could not pay me to do this excursion again.

Blackbeards can be booked directly ..

http://www.stingrayadventure.com/

As for day passes to other beaches.

Sheraton has a day pass for $25 pp.

Wyndham has a Day pass for $40 which includes a buffet lunch

Hilton has a Pass for $40 and includes a lunch voucher.

Both Sheraton and wynhdam can be reached by a quick cab (about $5 -7 pp). or the #10 jitney for $1.25

Hilton is quiet and small.. but within walking distance of the port.

Blackbeards is a what you make of it.

It's a nice strip of pristine beach.. you can stay near the boat or walk to a quieter and more relaxed section.

Snorkeling is not great, but the stingrays are fun, and they are very friendly.

It's not like Grand Caymen.. and all these rays have been debarbed, so they are harmless.

Archived