Wine Purchase in Rome Prior to Cruise departure

shoesonfire

By far the best place to purchase wine is in a grocery store! If you can find a large grocery store you will have a great selection and an even better price - often better than "duty free" prices. Wine and liquor is often cheaper here if you shop at the grocery store. We often go to an enoteca, find a wine we like... but purchase our NEXT bottle at the grocery stores.

I agree about grocery stores, but first ask any of ships crew.We were told of a few places within walking distance .Also, depends on area of pier its docked at.Remember to bring opener, for room .They charge a corkage fee on most ships if you bring your bottle to dinner.Have a great time and have a drink for the rest of us just waiting for our next cruise.HAHAHa:p:p

Are you asking about places in Rome to buy wine, or places in Civitavecchia, where the ship is docked?

There is a supermarket (supermercado) in Civitavecchia, pretty easy to find, that sells a selection of wines. There's also a wine co-op, (bring your own bottles) that some have used, including my sister and BIL. Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate it on my one venture into town, as I didn't have much time to wander.

Are you asking about places in Rome to buy wine, or places in Civitavecchia, where the ship is docked?

There is a supermarket (supermercado) in Civitavecchia, pretty easy to find, that sells a selection of wines. There's also a wine co-op, (bring your own bottles) that some have used, including my sister and BIL. Unfortunately I wasn't able to locate it on my one venture into town, as I didn't have much time to wander.

Is the supermarket walking distance from the ship? We are walkers!

You will have to take the port shuttle (free) to the port gate, from there it is an easy walk into town.

Excellent! Thanks so much. Is it a fairly large supermarket? We need to stock up on soft drinks and wine...

Whereabouts in Civvy was it, we stayed at the Traiano hotel overnight and couldnt find anywhere other than a corner store near the hotel that sold wine

Whereabouts in Civvy was it, we stayed at the Traiano hotel overnight and couldnt find anywhere other than a corner store near the hotel that sold wine

Sorry, don't remember off the top of my head. I will look up my port notes tomorrow (don't have them with me today) and will post the info on the supermercado as well as the wine co-op.

OK, here's what I had written in my notes:

"Took the port shuttle to the port gate, then walked along the water for a few blocks. Found a through street to the left, and the supermarket was a couple of blocks down this street."

Sorry, I don't have the name of the street. If you are having trouble, you can ask someone "Dove il supermercato?" (Doe-vay il supermerCAT-oh?)

The wine co-op may be on via Granari. As I said, I didn't have a chance to locate it but a local showed my sister and BIL where it was. The wine was cheap and very drinkable.

I'm the dreaded sister...for the wine coop, leaving Hotel Traiano, we walked down the hill to the "main drag", turned right, and walked only about one block, turned left and in the middle of the block, on the left was the wine coop. But if you follow the little old men with their empty plastic 5 gallon wine jugs, you'll find it. Also ask the locals. Following these directions, if you are on the main drag and come to the center of town with the roundabout and statue, you've come too far.

Hi shoesonfire

The best place to buy italian wine is located in " Genzano of Rome " close to roman castels. Anyway this place is not close to the port of Civitavecchia.

At Civitavecchia city there is a Supermarket that sells typical wines of Rome at a cheep cost.

Bye gunther

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have good recommendations as to where to purchase wine before boarding cruise ship in Rome?

Excellent! Thanks so much. Is it a fairly large supermarket? We need to stock up on soft drinks and wine...

Really good idea! It would be great to get a supply of water, pop, and a bottle or two of vino. So much cheaper than buying on ship.

We plan on being at the ship early enough that would be plenty of time to get off with an emptied out roll aboard and go grocery shopping!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a shop inside the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia that sells wine or liquor? In Barcelona there was one beyond the check-in point and the building's secutity checkpoint, so I guess that it was duty-free. Thanks

There are no cruise terminals in Civitavecchia. They have large tents to handle check-in and baggage inspections. There are no shops. Make all of your purchases before you eneter the port. Check in advance to verify if your cruise line allows wine or alcohol to be brought on-bboard as many do not.

By far the best place to purchase wine is in a grocery store! If you can find a large grocery store you will have a great selection and an even better price - often better than "duty free" prices. Wine and liquor is often cheaper here if you shop at the grocery store. We often go to an enoteca, find a wine we like... but purchase our NEXT bottle at the grocery stores.

Hey Ron! This is funny I found this post... this is exactly what I was going to ask you while we were out and about that day and I forgot! I did find a great little grocery place by the Trevi Fountain (down a little alleyway) and they were so nice... wrapped everything up in bubble wrap for us.

Nice to see you here by the way...

Does anyone know if there is a shop inside the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia that sells wine or liquor? In Barcelona there was one beyond the check-in point and the building's secutity checkpoint, so I guess that it was duty-free. Thanks

No.. but there are some great places in Civitavecchia you can have your driver stop at before you get to the port.

Archived