Which airport out of NYC and 12:20 p.m.flight ok?

Logie

Hi

I am thinking of booking the Golden from SJU up to New York and found a great airline price flying out of JFK at 12:20 p.m. after the cruise.

I have read horror stories about disembarcation in NY. Do you think without any unusual circumstances this flight would work?

How long is the taxi to the airport or does anyone have any other suggestions for transportation or reccomend Princess transfer in this situation?

Thanks

The website for the port of New York says it is 15 miles or 45 minutes from either Newark or La Guardia airports, further for JFK. A taxi might be too expensive. Try a shuttle/limo service or Princess transfers. Heck, renting a car might even be cheaper.

Good luck

JFK is a bit further, but not that much. Airline pricing has gone through lots of changes this week with Delta announcement, so double check prices. Most would say you can use any of the airports without too much difference, though usually LGA, then Newark, then JFK are choices.

Disembarkation in NYC could be a nightmare most of the times if there are just two ships in port. Also waiting for a taxi could sometimes run into a one hour wait. If it were me, I would feel much safer taking the later flight out as 12:20, I think, is cutting short. Good Luck!

You never know what can happen, but here is my experience.

Back in October, we disembarked in NYC on a Sunday with 5-6 ships disembarking that day. We had the name of a private car driver who we contacted that morning around 7:30 am. We disembarked around 9:45 am, met her across 12th Ave from our slip (staying in contact with cell phones was a godsend). We were at LGA by 10:40 and made our 12:00 pm flight without any problems. I think the keys to our success were that Sunday traffic was light, we were in the 2nd group off the ship, and had our driver set up in advance. Based on previous arrivals, I expected disembarkation for the Grand Princess to start around 9 - 9:15 am. Was I nervous? Yes -- especially when disembarkation started so late, but it worked out fine for us. Private car cost for a couple was around $60 plus toll and tip; we split the car with another couple we'd met through our roll call, and our driver charged each couple $45 plus toll and tip.

Also, ship transfers were only available for airline departures after 2 pm.

Hi Lynn!

I took a cruise out of NYC Oct 2003....leaving the ship was a problem...I think there were 3 ships in port on that Sunday...the first passengers off got the

cabs...we eventually walked across the street and hailed a cab to the airport..

but had to haul our luggage down a ramp and across the street..I don't think

it much matters which airport..the problem is getting the taxi.

This past October we took the harbor cruise on Sunday morning before we

flew to Eastern Europe that afternoon...we made arrangements with a

private driver (limo) kept in contact by cell and had no problems...but we

did walk across the street to meet driver. (There were cruise ships loading

and unloading at that time. The cabs don't really like to come up into that

area because it takes them a lot of time (according to the cab driver)

By the way this is Patty from the Baltic cruise....how was your New Year's cruise? How is Kevin?

I would book a later flight, ships arrive into NYC late all the time. And yes contract with a car service- if you want a cab- pack light and have quality rolling bags and pick up a cab on 11th Ave, will be much quicker that waiting for one at the dock.

A consideration may be what day of the week and what is going on in NYC that weekend. We disembarked last October on a Sunday morning, we had a noon flight and made it with plenty of time. However the week prior when we boarded the ship NYC was a total zoo for Columbus Day weekend. Laguardia is the closest airport, it was 15 or 20 minutes that Sunday we disembarked. $22 cab ride.

Thank you for the very quick and informative answers. Any suggestions for car service/limnosuines?

The cruise ends on a Sunday May 8th which is Mothers Day, I wonder what that would do for the traffic in NYC that day.

As much as I want that direct flight I guess I better look for something later

Hi Patty!!!

How are you and how is Brenda? Thanks for asking about Kevin, he is great and is in Calagry right now. He has cancelled his Tortola plans and now is checking on plan B.

Hope to see you on another cruise soon!!!

Traffic should be lighter as it is a Sunday. In April 03 we did a repo cruise that ended in NYC. There was a long delay to disembark as a NCL ship ahead of us in Bermuda was found to have drug smugglers. Horizon was searched extensivly in Bermuda and NYC. We were not allowed to disembark until 12 pm. We had rented a car to drive home so not a problem for us although many people missed flights due to delay.

Archived