Carnival Buffet vs MDR

KorrunaKanuck

Are the buffet & MDR menus the same?

From my experience (Carnival Fantasy March '09) Some items are the same. There will some items only in the dining room, but some will be in both the MDR and buffet, and then some only in the buffet. The "best" items are in the MDR. I never saw the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake in the buffet, but if I did , there would be no reason for me to go through all involved in the MDR. :p

Oh, one more thing. Since this was my first cruise, I didn't know how much the buffet changed. I figured it would be like most where the items are usually the same each night. If you see something special, just remember that it might not be there the next time, so go ahead and get your 2nd helping while you can. There was a desert I really liked and I thought that I would get that again...that was the first night of the cruise and the one and only time I saw it. I don't even know what it was or what it was called:confused:..maybe I will see it in January!

On the Sensation at the buffet on the first day I found an absolutely wonderful dessert. It was like an apricot Napoleon. I never saw it again. Not at the buffet not in the MDR. I did not want to appear as a little piglet so I got one, ate it, raved about it and assumed it would always be there. Oh well, God's way of telling me not to pig out too much and there was the chocolate melting cake........:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't like the chocolate melting cake. It was

over-rated. The baked alaska was a joke. Neo-

politian ice cream on a sliver of yellow sponge

cake? Haha. The apple pie was old, crust all

doughy on the inside and hard along the edges.

Carnival buffets sucked. I went on the Paradise

a couple of weeks ago and the food was bland,

lukewarm, poor quality and just lousy all around.

I was sorely disappointed in the cuisine so many

had raved about.

Don't get me wrong, I had the time of my life on-

board and the drinks were superb but the food,

bleh. Best meal I had was when we arrived in

Ensenada. I survived the cruise on bagels and

cereal and steak dinners in the main dining room.

I still love Carnival - I'm cruising again next Aug...

I just won't eat. :D

The MDR is much more civilized....you're served...you don't have to search for a clean table while juggling plates, utensils and drinks...it's so much nicer!

Ditto.

On a 7 day cruise, I usually find myself going to the buffet at least once during the week for dinner, because my fixed time dining was not right for me that one day, and I always find something and more that appeals, but as the above poster says, MDR, is so much more relaxing, for those reasons. And the dress code is much more relaxed these days. Buffet is great for breakfast/and or lunch, but for dinner, I will always prefer the dining room.:)

I didn't like the chocolate melting cake. It was

over-rated. The baked alaska was a joke. Neo-

politian ice cream on a sliver of yellow sponge

cake? Haha. The apple pie was old, crust all

doughy on the inside and hard along the edges.

Carnival buffets sucked. I went on the Paradise

a couple of weeks ago and the food was bland,

lukewarm, poor quality and just lousy all around.

I was sorely disappointed in the cuisine so many

had raved about.

Don't get me wrong, I had the time of my life on-

board and the drinks were superb but the food,

bleh. Best meal I had was when we arrived in

Ensenada. I survived the cruise on bagels and

cereal and steak dinners in the main dining room.

I still love Carnival - I'm cruising again next Aug...

I just won't eat. :D

See, it just goes to show...opinions vary.:D

I bet you will :)

• 2 weeks later...
Ditto.

On a 7 day cruise, I usually find myself going to the buffet at least once during the week for dinner, because my fixed time dining was not right for me that one day, and I always find something and more that appeals, but as the above poster says, MDR, is so much more relaxing, for those reasons. And the dress code is much more relaxed these days. Buffet is great for breakfast/and or lunch, but for dinner, I will always prefer the dining room.:)

Hey Sparky8,

Next time you book a cruise, try Carnival's 'Your Time Dining' - check the ships to make sure it's available on the ship you are looking at cruising on and it's limited to a few people (or everyone would come at once and then get upset, you know the scene). It's still better to get there close to the time of one of the seatings (Early or Late), if the tables are busy they give you a lighted beeper (like the restaurants on land) to call you when a table is available AND if you will sit with others you'll get seated much earlier. There are not many tables for two on any ship and if everyone wants one they could wait until the MDR is closed. This is done in the space of half one of the upper floors of the MDR.

NCL started this with their 'Any Time Dining'.

Archived