Can you see whales from ship after leaving panama canal?

cheggy

We have a 18 day cruise on the Statendam through panama canal at christmas this year. wondering if anyone ever sees whales from the ship or should we do an excursion? Or is that out too?

No whales the two times I have done the Panama Canal in December and January.

What west coast ports are you visiting and ending? Whales migrate closer to the coast than the cruise ships and they end at the bottom of Baja.

We will be at Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Chiapas & Acapulco .

Did whale watching in Nova Scotia a few years back and loved it. Well I did , Hubby fed the fish and gulls. I am going to medicate him if it starts getting choppy!

We saw Humpback whales when we went to Alaska so just curious as to it happening on this cruise.

thanks for your reply.

It is very unlikely to see whales from your cruiseship. AND if you want to "see" any, you would need to park yourself out at a forward viewing area, with a good pair of wide angle binoculars for several hours at a time, repeatively. If you want to "whale watch" via a tour, then you have to do your homework, since most of the cruises don't go to the major areas, inside Baja.

The migration along the coast is done in November and they would be in the Gulf of California and the closest you are is Cabo. Cabo would still be a long way from the gulf where they are. http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/mexico/work/art8618.html

Sorry, but no whales.

Saw lots of sea turtles when cruising to Acapulco from our balcony and some dolphins. So while enjoying the view from a balcony you might see some dolphins and turtles.

I thank you all for your replies. And yes I have seen those whales on the ships too but I wasn't looking for those!

on Princess in inside passage , one lady said she never saw whales from the ship and she had taken the same cruise 5 times. we not only saw them but saw a humpback breach the water. would love to have gotten photo but it is almost impossible to get them to give you warning so you can have the camera ready and aimed at the exact moment. also saw pod of killer whales same day.

Just returned from our Westerdam Panama Canal cruise....we saw dolphins as we went thru the last set of locks. The gal who was giving the commentary was just amazed that there were dolphins at that spot. She said she had never seen dolphins there before.

Also saw several whales as we went down the Mexican coast. It was great fun watching them breech as we ate breakfast in the Lido deck. :cool:

All of a sudden your eating dinner in the dining room,the captain mentions there's a few whales on the port side of the ship.

There's suddenly pandemonium as 300 people all run to the window for a look

A whale is spotted 3 miles from the ship.

And then this guy as confidant as one can be, runs up to the salted window and starts to take a few pics with his little camera. I always find this funny:o

SeniorManwithCamera_web.jpg

There are humpbacks wintering off Cabo St Lucas. There could be dolphins anywhere along your route. Other sightings - marlins, flying fish, turtles, sunfish - will be more plain luck. Watch for sea birds that are circling and diving. Enjoy!

Archived