Family All-inclusive

sea_u_onboard

• 1 month later...

Tell them to check out Real Resorts and Place Resorts websites. We've stayed at their resorts in Playa and other places down the Mayan Riviera, AWESOME vacations!!!! We were on the same beach with Cancun Palace last Summer and assuming there weren't any real erosion problems with the hurricanes last season, it was a great beach.

• 4 weeks later...

I can give you some answers to your questions about All-Inclusive issues. We stayed for five days at the Cancun Palace. We had our two boys with us, ages 21 and 15. The All-inclusive part was ideal. We didn't need to even think about food at any time during our vacation. They could drink all they wished and eat any time they wanted. The food quality is about the same quality as the buffet dining areas on Princess or RCCL. Breakfast was good with fruit, cereal, orange juice, milk, pancakes, eggs, etc. Not much can go wrong with breakfast. Lunch was burgers, chicken, sandwich fixings, fruit, and cake or ice cream. Dinner was steak, chicken, sea food, veggies, breads, and other things usually grilled over an open fire. My overall rating would be good, not great.

The All-Inclusive beverages were the key though. My kids are avid bodyboarders (we took our own equipment) so they get very thirsty from the salt water. They alone probably drank about $50.00 worth of coke each a day. However, the best part of Cancun was the hotels and how they are maintained. The Sun Palace, Beach Palace, and the Cancun Palace are marble and meticulous everywhere. The beach is clean with lots of chairs but limited shade. The grounds are well maintained and the staffs were eager to please you in every way. The transfer to and from the airport was prompt and quick. The airport was very organized and flowed very well. When we left, the airport was as crowded as I have ever seen an airport. However, the employees very skillfully and quickly kept the lines moving and we were ticketed and out to the waiting area in minutes. Truthfully, I expected about an hour or more wait with the numbers of people but we were done in 20 minutes and out.

I would recommend Cancun to anyone, especially the All-Inclusives. If you want gormet dining, you can pay for it. If you want a relaxing place with your family, Cancun supplies it.

Does anyone know anything about the Park Royal Piramides Cancun? I just got a price of $984 for two to fly from Washington DC round trip and stay three nights. Is this good? Is the place nice? I have avoided all inclusive places in the past after a bad experience years ago with Club Med (lots of people over indulging in the free alcoholic beverages). We are not party animals and don't want that experience.

Any thoughts welcome.

L Garner

I'm sorry to say that I don't know anything about the hotel you mentioned but I can give you some specific information regarding two issues you raised. First, we found that there was no "party" atmosphere at the Cancun Palace at all despite the all-inclusive food and drink. We did not see anybody overindulging and/or acting unruly or stupid. We agree with you that we don't appreciate rowdy, drunken partyers. Second, let's do some math with your $984 for 3 nights figure. We (four of us) traveled from Atlanta to Cancun on Dec. 20th and left Cancun on the 26th. In hotel terms, that would be five nights. Now, let's try to compare so that we are talking apples to apples. We had two rooms at the Cancun Palace set up by a very reputable travel agency who has done a number of vacations/business trips for us. We have never been disappointed with their hotel selections or amenities. We paid just under $7000 for two rooms at Christmas. If you divide that into each room, you would see that we paid approximately $3500 for each including airfare for two. Granted we flew at Christmas and we had two wonderful rooms with the all-inclusive food and drink. What you need to evaluate and consider is whether the cost difference was due to mostly two factors: Christmas time and quality of hotel. It would seem to me that Christmas and other holiday times would be more expensive but at the same time, a total of $984 for two people including airfare sounds a bit low. I would do some research, post some messages, and try to get a better idea of the hotel and its amenities and condition. I can say without question that the Cancun Palace was a very nice place to stay and we would stay there again absolutely. But we saw a number of old, run down hotels on the Hotel Zone strip in Cancun. I certainly would do my "homework" before I put my money down. Good luck and have a wonderful time if you go to Cancun. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to try to help.

Gaston,

I hope you get back to this thread. I've already replied to lgarner on another thread.

We've been to Park Royal Piramides twice and really liked it. You can click on the link in my signature to see pictures of the resort, Isla Mujeres, and Cancun. If I was quoted that price, I would grab it. We're going back to Cancun the beginning of April and our plane tickets from Philadelphia cost $300 apiece and that's LOW. It is an all-inclusive resort though and I'm wondering if they're planning to charge an additional per person fee for the AI. A number of resorts do this, including the Palace resorts, if you book them as timeshares.

If you see this, lgarner, 1) check to make sure you won't be charged more at the front desk and 2) DO NOT succumb to pressure to take a timeshare tour in exchange of freebies. From experience, I know they will take at least 2 hours of your time and you won't be happy.

• 3 months later...

We have booked the Gran Costa Real for 3 people for the end of August with air from BWI and it's just under $2000 for the all-inclusive for 7 nights. I did a lot of research before booking (so much that the price went up before I did the deposit). I'm hoping we'll enjoy it because it is our first real land vacation as we love to cruise. I think price really varies by time of year.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cheryl,

Just saw this post and thought I'd say hello. We are planning our next spring break to Playa Del carmen - Iberostar Del Mar- not sure if you were still looking for your friend but these resorts remind me alot of the cruise- all inclusive- lots more activities for kids and entertainment shows at night. We are going in March!! any future cruises for you and your group?

Hi Cheryl,

Just saw this post and thought I'd say hello. We are planning our next spring break to Playa Del carmen - Iberostar Del Mar- not sure if you were still looking for your friend but these resorts remind me alot of the cruise- all inclusive- lots more activities for kids and entertainment shows at night. We are going in March!! any future cruises for you and your group?

Gaston,

We're going back to Cancun the beginning of April and our plane tickets from Philadelphia cost $300 apiece and that's LOW. .

We are flying from PHL to CUN in June, just wondered where you booked your flights at $300 a piece range at? Right now prices we are looking at are around $430.

TIA

Jimbo:)

• 4 months later...

Hello,

We just got back from a cruise yesterday and already planning our next vacation. We actually booked a cruise will on this one for February 2007 but wondering if we really want to do another cruise, we are thinking about an all inclusive resort. Has anyone done both? If so can you tell me the pros and cons of each and which one you think is the best. When we cruise the less commerical the better. We prefer to soak up the culture of our stops and get off the beaten paths away from the hussel and bussel of shopping....don't get me wrong shopping is great :p but we like to experince the people.

I have done an all inclusive and I also cruise. I personally did not enjoy the all inclusive. After 2 days I got bored of the resort and we spent more time travelling the island. For one, this cost more money for meals since we were out and about all day. I don't personally drink more than 2 drinks a day so the all inclusive cost more to cover an expense I really don't use. The all inclusive I went to had a choice of 6 places to eat. Everybody planned for the week so it was hard to get a reservation the day you were in the mood for say italian. In a resort you see the same 100 or so guest everyday. The ship is larger and you have a better chance of meeting people with the same interest as you. The cruise visits many places vs just one island. I just thought cruising was a better bargain. For example $600./person for a 7 day cruise vs. $1500.00/person for a 7 day cruise. IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 6 cruises and 6 all inclusives. The pros of an inclusive are you don't have to pack for formal nights and all sports are normally included with you all inclusive. The food is normally of a very good quality if you book in higher rated resorts ie Sandals and some are exclusive of children if this is you prechant. The only downside is if you're new at this you don't normally get a chance to mingle with the local population. One more pro is once you've paid your all inclusive you could almost go there moneyless and have to worry about nothing not even tipping.

The pros of cruising are you get to visit many places for your buck. But once you have cruised enough times you almost have visited all scheduled port of call. The food is normally of a high quality restaurant. The cons are you have to carry cash to tip the ship's serving staff as their wages provided by the cruise lines are so low, you as a passenger are expected to supplement their wages by a tippage fee recommended by the cruise line.

So both are normally of the same cost, one provides the opportunity to visit several places on one vacation. the other provides the opportunity of a relaxing vacation with no worry of a schedule to keep for shore excursions or scheduled dining arrangements every night.

• 6 months later...

Archived