Bay of Islands - where does ship tender?

Ausgirl

We want to book an excursion in Bay of Islands but need to book from either Russell or Pahia - does anyone know where the ship (Rhapsody) tenders, and which dock we get dropped off at. Also , if we dock at 9am, would we make a 10.30am excursion? Thanks....

We want to book an excursion in Bay of Islands but need to book from either Russell or Pahia - does anyone know where the ship (Rhapsody) tenders, and which dock we get dropped off at. Also , if we dock at 9am, would we make a 10.30am excursion? Thanks....

Heres some info from a previous thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1057708

There is no dock in the Bay of Islands that can handle cruise ships , so they all anchor in the bay, just off Russell , and tender ashore.

Most will tender into Paihia, but it all depends on what your ship has arranged on the day.

Some take independents to Paihia, and ships tours to Waitangi, where there is more room for the busses.

A ferry runs from Paihia to Russell and it is only short run across the bay.

Update on this question - if we return to Paihia from a tour at 4pm, does that give us plenty of time to get a tender back to the ship, which sails at 6pm? I imagine it would be fine, but as it's a tender I'm a little worried

Update on this question - if we return to Paihia from a tour at 4pm, does that give us plenty of time to get a tender back to the ship, which sails at 6pm? I imagine it would be fine, but as it's a tender I'm a little worried

As long as everything goes well,

should be heaps of time.

Last tender is usually 1 hour before sailing so that everyone is on board 30 minutes before sailing so they can check the list,

to make sure all passengers are back on board.

Big thing is to make sure the tour company know you are from the ship and must be back on time.

Otherwise ....

Where is the next port where you could catch up with the ship????

Auckland would be the next port and definitely don't want to be doing that!! The excursion we want to do is either morning or afternoon, the morning one we would have to be there by 10.15, and if the ship docks at 9.00 I guess we would be fighting to make one of the first tenders. Might still be a safer bet than the afternoon excursion returning at 4pm though, if as you say, all does not go well...?

Hi Caron, this is Lynda from our roll call thread (alwayshappytocruise). Thanks for asking this question although there does still seem to be uncertaintanty re: Russell or Pahai! We are wanting to do a private tour also, prefer a catamaran to Hole in Wall Rock. Have started a thread here but not getting any answers. Does anyone know for sure where Rhapsody will dock in Bay of Islands AND are private tours available to be booked directly on the dock (like you can in many places in the Caribbean). The on-line tours I have checked have times that I don't think will work for us.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, all of our other tours are booked and paid for...this one is the "problem child"!!

Thanks in advance

Lynda

Hi Caron and Lynda,

It's my understanding that the ship will tender at Waitangi Wharf in Bay of Islands and from here it is 10mins drive to Pahia. We have booked a dolphin trip which is 12.30pm-4.20pm, I was concerned over time frame and emailed a CC member who I had noticed had done the trip in Jan this year. He said that they made it back to the ship without any problems, even before last tender and that there were shuttle buses very regular to and from Paihia to the wharf. With any private trip there is always the chance something will go wrong, we'll keep our fingers crossed! This is some info I found on the net about Waitangi Wharf

Maritime Security Act 2004.

This includes meeting the international standards for security. Two FNHL staff hold Port Facility Security Officer status. It enables cruise ships to anchor within Bay of Islands and disembark passengers to visit district-wide tourist attractions and to shop locally.

The Waitangi Wharf was specifically designed and constructed for the disembarkation of cruise ship passengers.

22 cruise ships, with a total passenger capacity of over 12,000, visited Bay of Islands during the 2006/7 summer season.

"Economic impact studies show that passengers travelling on cruise ships in NZ spend an average of $160 per day on retail while in port. This means that cruise ship passengers will spend almost 2 million dollars in Northland between October 2006 and May 2007". (Information supplied by Destination Northland)

34 cruise ships will visit Bay of Islands during the 2008/2009 season - carrying approximately 30,500 passengers.

Can any other CC members who have sailed on the Rhapsody around New Zealand earlier this year confirm that it tendered from Waitangi Wharf

Thanks in advance

Jo

Archived