Reciprocity Fees - South America???

Kruz Guys

On December 20, 2009, the Government of Argentina will begin charging American citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry fee of $131 U.S. dollars. The fee will be collected only at Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. Once paid, the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States visa reciprocity. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers checks.

For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy's Consular Section, located at 4300 Avenida Colombia, Buenos Aires;

telephone+54-11-5777-4354; after hours emergency telephone

+54-11-5777-4873; ACS unit fax +54-11-5777-4293; e-mail

BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov; web page http://argentina.usembassy.gov

On December 20, 2009, the Government of Argentina will begin charging American citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry fee of $131 U.S. dollars. The fee will be collected only at Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. Once paid, the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States visa reciprocity. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers checks.

For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy's Consular Section, located at 4300 Avenida Colombia, Buenos Aires;

BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov; web page

Thanks for posting this information.

Keith

The advantage of booking a cruise from BA to Valpo just disappeared. I am sure there will be a LOT of very surprised cruisers when they arrive EZE. Hope TA's are aware of the new fees and will inform their clients ASAP.

The advantage of booking a cruise from BA to Valpo just disappeared. I am sure there will be a LOT of very surprised cruisers when they arrive EZE. Hope TA's are aware of the new fees and will inform their clients ASAP.

I agree with you. I know folks from Cruise Critic who are flying in on the precise date this goes into effect and just posted the information earlier this morning on the cruise line site. I think there will be some folks surprised by this. I also wonder how the first few days will go in terms of lines, etc.

Keith

It is being reported on Trip Advisor that Argentina plans to implement a reciprocity fee of U$132 effective December 20. The fee can be paid at the airport upon arrival and is good for 10 years, permitting unlimited visits.

If you go up just a few posts you will see that this was reported earlier today by owl61.

Keith

BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov; web page http://argentina.usembassy.gov

I am currently visiting Argentina with my American husband and have no knowledge of the fees to be implemented. I have scoured the US Embassy website and cannot find any information on these fees. We will be leaving Argentina on Dec.17th, and I will try to enquire at Emmigration about this. I am wondering how it will affect American spouses of Argentine citizens ...

I am currently visiting Argentina with my American husband and have no knowledge of the fees to be implemented. I have scoured the US Embassy website and cannot find any information on these fees. We will be leaving Argentina on Dec.17th, and I will try to enquire at Emmigration about this. I am wondering how it will affect American spouses of Argentine citizens ...

Just curious why you would think an American spouse would or should be treated differently???

I spoke with one of my business associates yesterday. He is American working for Del Monte in SA. He is married to an Argentinian. They are flying to the US for Xmas. He thoroughly expects to pay the fee when they return from their holiday.

I wish it was a joke, but it's not.

So, let me say one more time for the benefit of those who may be traveling here for the first time.

While credit card is accepted there is always the risk that the credit card connections will be down.

So, be sure to bring sufficient cash just in case and I advise bringing more than is required and do make sure that you get relatively new bills from the bank.

Why folks want to make a joke of this is beyond me. Because it is not a joke.

Keith

Keith and others:

What denominations do you suggest? All $20s? $10s? $100 bill?

Keith and others:

What denominations do you suggest? All $20s? $10s? $100 bill?

Rusty when it used to be $100.00 I would go with individual $100.00 bills for each family member. Now that it is $131.00 I would go with one 100.00 bill and on $20.00 and on $10.00 and one $1.00. Or go with two $50.00 bills rather than the one $100.00 bill. I think the less bills the best to minimize ones they do not like.

And bring a fair amount of back up bills.

I keep them in an envelope from the bank and get really new ones.

Keith

Do you think it would be easier to just take travelers checks?will they accept these?

Kimberley

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Travelers checks are surcharged in SA-sometimes up to 15%. Lots of places won't even accept them.

Just go to your bank, ask for NEW bills-$50's and 20's are best due to the amount of counterfeit $100''s that are currently in SA. Have the bank put them in a bank envelope so they stay NEW and crisp.

I agree with Greatam.

As a few of us have mentioned the key is to have crisp dollars and some backup cash as well. Just have the bank give you new bills.

Please note that assuming there are no problems they will take credit card but I think it is key to have cash should there be a problem with the credit card system.

Keith

There is now an entrance fee when you land in buenos aires. Also $131.00 per person. If you go ba to valparaiso you will pay at airport according to my ta

don't think it applies if you are on a ship that stops in argentina. Just pay in

santiago. No escaping it one way or another.

Sonia

We are landing in Buenos Aries and transferring to a Lan flight which will take us to Santiago, Chile for our cruise from Valporaiso to Buenos Aries. We are using frequent flier miles, that is the reason for the unusual routing . Will we have to pay twice?

Per one of my SA business colleagues, IF you stay airside in the secure area as an in transit passenger, you will not pay in Argentina.

Have you checked to make sure that your luggage allowance leaving the USA (2 bags, 50 pounds each) will transfer to LAN??? South American baggage allowance on LAN is ONE bag, 50 pounds. IF you are flying AA/LAN, your luggage will be checked through and you will be fine with two bags, 50 pounds each. Any other carrier to EZE, please check.

Interesting ... when I left Ezeiza on Thursday afternoon, the person stamping my passport, stated that the entrance fee was not yet effective and to follow the migrations department website ... http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/ it seems that US citizens are not the only ones paying a fee, Canadians USD70 & Australians USD100. Though there is no date as to when it is effective.

Hi Greatam---We are not on American--we are on United.I think we have to get our luggage and transfer it ourselves to the Lan area. Can you tell me how far that is in the terminal and if we have to go thru customs in order to do this. I'm assuming we do. I'll check with LAN about the baggage allowance. Thanks for the advice. Kathy

Hi Greatam---We are not on American--we are on United.I think we have to get our luggage and transfer it ourselves to the Lan area. Can you tell me how far that is in the terminal and if we have to go thru customs in order to do this. I'm assuming we do. I'll check with LAN about the baggage allowance. Thanks for the advice. Kathy

Oh, boy. You will have to clear immigration, collect your luggage, clear Customs. AND with this scenario, you have about an 100% chance of having to pay the Argentinian fee.

Think about it this way-once you have your luggage and have cleared Customs, you can leave the airport and have a vacation in Argentina. So IF the fee is in effect, you will have to pay. IF the fee is handled as in Chile, the government DEFINITELY wants the money before you leave the airport.

AND you really better check the luggage allowance on LAN. United/LAN have no relationship. So it almost sounds like you got FF tickets to EZE, then a separate LAN ticket to Valparaiso. If that is the case, the LAN ticket baggage allowance will be ONE suitcase, 50 pounds on the intra-South America flight.

Both flights should arrive and depart the international terminal. The other terminal is for domestic, intra Argentina flights.

Hi Greatam--I did contact LAN and they told me as long as we're arriving on an International flight within 24 hours of our departure to Chile-- We can each check two bags with them. I told them we were on United and they said they have a relationship with Delta and United not a partnership as with American and the above scenerio would be fine . We cannot exceed 50lbs. on either bag or the fees are exorbitant. I talked to them twice today and the last agent immediately asked if we were coming into EZE on an international flight. I'm really hoping this is correct. They know nothing about the reciprocity fee. Let me know if you hear more about that. kathy

This fee becomes effective 12/28/09

This is the official website:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/

This fee was originally scheduled to go into effect in March but was postponed indefinitely. Earlier, the effective date was supposed to be December 20. Now it appears December 28 is the magic date. But this is Argentina so who knows. Teatro Colon was supposed to reopen several years ago...With any luck the opera house will reopen in 2010....

Since yesterday, Argentina's goverment is charging a reciprocity fee to 3 countries.

At the beginning it will be applied only for Americans, Canadians and Australians entering only at EZE, Buenos Aires International Airport.

Americans must pay $131 U.S. dollars, and the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years.

Canadians will be charge less ($70 US dollars) but only valid for one entry.

Australians $100.

The fee is equal to the amount that their country charges Argentine citizens for visas.

enter to this links for further information.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/12/29/sociedad/s-02109558.htm

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pantalla_principal/informacion_interes/imagenes/img_importante.jpg

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/warden_messages/airport-entry-fee--december-11-2009.html

Pablo

Just to confirm, we arrived on the 30th and had to pay. You first have to stand in a slow-moving line for the payments. Then you go to the immigration guy. You can pay with a credit card or cash, but if you use a cc, it is charged in pesos so you also get hit with a conversion fee and bank charges. After thinking maybe we had dodged the bullet, it was painful to stand in that long line to pay while the other nationalities zoomed through immigration!

Linda

Just to confirm, we arrived on the 30th and had to pay. You first have to stand in a slow-moving line for the payments. Then you go to the immigration guy. You can pay with a credit card or cash, but if you use a cc, it is charged in pesos so you also get hit with a conversion fee and bank charges. After thinking maybe we had dodged the bullet, it was painful to stand in that long line to pay while the other nationalities zoomed through immigration!

Linda

Imagine what it is like for residents of Argentina who wishes to visit the United States. They must arrange an appointment at the US Embassy and be interviewed by a staffer who determines whether the Visa will be granted. The $131 dollar fee is paid whether the Visa is approved or denied. More often than not, it is denied.

I will not be back in Argentina until March, when I will need to go through the lines you describe. I plan to copy my post and read it several times while I am waiting in line so as not to become frustrated.

Archived