Coming back to cruising...not sure how to book?

SondraC

After taking a break from cruising, (did the Disney/Universal thing for the past 3 years) we are aching to cruise again! We have previously sailed Disney, Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean x2.

After much hoopla we decided on Valor in July 2010. I have spent a lot of time trying to educate myself on ES fares and such.

My question is for booking. Any opinions on using an online agent thru a separate agency pro-would be they give $100 OBC, con-while the first ES fare reduction would be n/c subsequent ones would be a $25 fee.

There is also direct thru Carnival & also my PVP. I am hesitant to say he is my PVP because I have never used him, he just sends me emails every so often. Is there any pros/cons of direct thru Carnival or a PVP?

I should add that the cabins (3) we are looking to book are aft-view extended balcony so probably not much price reduction potential.

$100 OBC would be a big inducement. I was only getting $50 OBC but it wasnt a very expensive cabin. Mine started the $25 pp change fee too, is why I went to using a PVP.

cons to using a TA, most are harder to reach if you find a cabin you want on Sunday, which happened to me twice (someone always says well their TA they can reach 24/7 and is always available by email to make changes).

I submit the price changes if I book direct with Carnival. If you book with a TA you have to rely on them doing it. Some are reluctant since it cuts into their commission.

I dont have anything wrong with my TA who discounts, but love my PVP and having more control.

$100 I might book with the TA.... if the price was really good and you didnt think much chance of a price drop.

Welcome back to the seas. The only advice I would offer is to avoid te online TA. Stay eith a brick & maroar Travel Agency with employees you can see and talk with. I've read too many times where online agencies go the way of the dodo (extinct) with your money.

SondraC,

Welcome back!

A Travel Agent/Agency , IMHO is best. make sure they are members of ASTA. As they require a 1/2 Million Dollar $USD Bond to be put up for joining that.

So yes you can be assured they are not going the DoDo way.. as even a few Cruise Lines did too do that.

Ask your T/A also if they Match pricing etc... and once you find a good one , as I think I have now. Keep them and let them compete if you find a better cost basis.

I do send my cruises to bid so as to get my best basis point.

:cool:

After taking a break from cruising, (did the Disney/Universal thing for the past 3 years) we are aching to cruise again! We have previously sailed Disney, Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean x2.

After much hoopla we decided on Valor in July 2010. I have spent a lot of time trying to educate myself on ES fares and such.

My question is for booking. Any opinions on using an online agent thru a separate agency pro-would be they give $100 OBC, con-while the first ES fare reduction would be n/c subsequent ones would be a $25 fee.

There is also direct thru Carnival & also my PVP. I am hesitant to say he is my PVP because I have never used him, he just sends me emails every so often. Is there any pros/cons of direct thru Carnival or a PVP?

I should add that the cabins (3) we are looking to book are aft-view extended balcony so probably not much price reduction potential.

I like to book with a TA....I want someone who is working for me...not the cruiseline....

Archived