Can someone recommend a NCL ship for me?

PrincessCarolyn

OK I have a great credit so am going to give NCL another shot. We've been on the Dawn twice before....

Was hoping for something a little newer/nicer?

Before you answer: EPIC- can you suggest others.

I'm waiting for Epic to sail and to hear reviews.

I'd be sailing out of NY or Florida.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you all :)

I have been on three NCL ships so far - the Pride of America (Hawaii), the Jewel and a B2B on the Jade. I would recommend ALL of them --- and feel confident I will say the same about the STAR in a month!!!

The four jewel class ships--Gem, Jade, Pearl, and Jewel--are a cut above anything else in the fleet. This doesn't seem to be much of a secret. Last spring the Star was offering deeply discounted rooms for essentially the same Alaskan itinerary as the Pearl, which didn't discount nearly as much.

The four jewel class ships--Gem, Jade, Pearl, and Jewel--are a cut above anything else in the fleet. This doesn't seem to be much of a secret. Last spring the Star was offering deeply discounted rooms for essentially the same Alaskan itinerary as the Pearl, which didn't discount nearly as much.

Agree 100% with this, The Pearl has been the best so far, we are doing the Gem next year and that will leave the Jade to try.

This is great to read! I've done the dawn (which we loved) and the spirt fresh out of refurb (which was nice - but not as nice as the dawn) and im 40 days from sailing on the Pearl on 12/12/09! So its great to hear so many people say how much they love the pearl!

I've only been on one NCL ship so far: the Sun. We really enjoyed that one. We lucked out and were able to upgrade to a Penthouse Suite for only $100 per person, so of course that would make for a very enjoyable cruise. My mother-in-law has been on several NCL ships and she likes the Sun the best. Brother-in-law liked the Jewel better than the Sun. I am getting ready to sail on the Pearl over Thanksgiving, so I'll let you know what I think of that one.

I know you had a bad experience with the Dawn but we loved her and would sail her again in a heart beat. Great service and a big smile from everyone. Going to try the Gem in a few months out of NY so I will have something to compare the Dawn to.

OK I have a great credit so am going to give NCL another shot. We've been on the Dawn twice before....

Was hoping for something a little newer/nicer?

Before you answer: EPIC- can you suggest others.

I'm waiting for Epic to sail and to hear reviews.

I'd be sailing out of NY or Florida.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you all :)

We've been on the Sky, Sun, Star, Jewel and Pearl. Out of all these ships, the Pearl gets my vote. Happy Cruisin'.

My experience is minimal having only sailed one cruise and only on the Sky. I will say that we were NOT disappointed and having nothing else to compare it to we thought it was great. If you are thinking of putting your toe in the 'freestyle water' then a Sky cruise may be just the thing since you typically can get a good rate. We put our toe in and now I cannot see sailing any other line...we loved Freestyle!

Princess, i know you are a bit nervous to sail NCL again, so if i were you, i would find the closest port where a jewel class ship is sailing out of and drive there, then spend the money you save from airfare on booking the nicest suite you can afford. you will love your room so much and all its perks (and the newer ship), that ncl will win your heart back.

It's almost next to impossible to recommend a ship to someone and think they will like it, since everyone has different ideas of what is the best or worst. Food for instance, what one thinks is atrocious another one finds wonderful. Same with accomodations or even customer service. I've had great customer service on a ship that someone else complained about.

From the replies, it looks like most every ship has been recommended. Everyone's opinions are different.;):)

IIRC, you previously expressed two major issues with NCL. When the ship broke down in 2006, you were dissatisfied with the customer service. Such onboard crisis service may vary by event, ship, and customer service agent. Hopefully, you wil never again have a similar issue no matter which ship you select. IIRC you were also very unhappy with the food and MDR service. IMHO, food does not vary much between NCL ships, so I am concerned that food on other NCL ships may not suit your taste either. I understand that, as one line's MDR cuisine held no appeal to me; others like it. Although you have a credit, consider carefully whether this is the line for you.

Thank you all for your comments. Seems the pearl wins hands down :)

Haven't booked anything yet but plan on booking something by Christmas. I can't ask my hubby to book another cruise when we just paid for one (going next month) so I'll hit him up when we get back-I'll make it my Christmas present. Hehehe :)

Let me point out: when I first was booking a cruise last month, I was very upset w/ NCL but it turned out it wasn't completely and NCL issue. My travel agent was also part of the problem (Telling me that I had no credit but when I called NCL they said I DID have a credit) So I'm going to give NCL another shot. I guess bad food on a ship in the middle of the gorgeous ocean is still better than being at work. LOL

Thank you all!

IIRC, you previously expressed two major issues with NCL. When the ship broke down in 2006, you were dissatisfied with the customer service. Such onboard crisis service may vary by event, ship, and customer service agent. Hopefully, you wil never again have a similar issue no matter which ship you select. IIRC you were also very unhappy with the food and MDR service. IMHO, food does not vary much between NCL ships, so I am concerned that food on other NCL ships may not suit your taste either. I understand that, as one line's MDR cuisine held no appeal to me; others like it. Although you have a credit, consider carefully whether this is the line for you.

I agree. Everyone has their favorite ship and your taste may differ than mine as far as food, ship, destination. Maybe you can use some of that credit to eat in the specialty resturants. I found them to be very good. (and I also never had a bad meal in the MDR) I have yet to have bad NCL cruise and it's just a crap shoot if something will go wrong. No gurantees for any of us. So you should chose between desitnation or ship and go with that. Let the choice be yours so there is no one to blame later.:)

Let me point out: when I first was booking a cruise last month, I was very upset w/ NCL but it turned out it wasn't completely and NCL issue. My travel agent was also part of the problem (Telling me that I had no credit but when I called NCL they said I DID have a credit) So I'm going to give NCL another shot. I guess bad food on a ship in the middle of the gorgeous ocean is still better than being at work. LOL

Thank you all!

<looking around> are we getting punked?

Archived