Solstice Class Gyms

greenp

Hi we sail on the Equinox March 2010, has anyone any info or a description of the gym, i.e does the gym have free weights and bench's to do bench press with a barbel for example, what is the weight range of the dumbells. What type of resistance training machines are there. How does it compare with RCI Independence of the seas ? Thank you Paul

paul,what i remember from the gym is no bars/plates for bench pressing,ect. nice selection of dumbbells to i think 70-80 lbs/32-36 kg. plenty of machines to spot train. gym nice and spacious. generally crowded in am, sparse in the afternoon. open from about 0600 to 2300 i think. enjoy your cruise. solstice class is very nice. also, don't miss eating breakfast/lunch in the solarium. some of the best food on board. again, enjoy. jim

paul,what i remember from the gym is no bars/plates for bench pressing,ect. nice selection of dumbbells to i think 70-80 lbs/32-36 kg. plenty of machines to spot train. gym nice and spacious. generally crowded in am, sparse in the afternoon. open from about 0600 to 2300 i think. enjoy your cruise. solstice class is very nice. also, don't miss eating breakfast/lunch in the solarium. some of the best food on board. again, enjoy. jim

Sounds great Jim, just hope the weight bench isn't right above my cabin (we'e below fitness center) on upcoming Equinox 4 nighter. We enjoyed Aquaspa Cafe on Century much more than the buffet - nice fresh choices. More details about the food and the solarium in general would be appreciated. Is there a whirlpool in the solarium area?

Was on equinox in September. Their dumbells went to 75 and they had 3 benches (could adjust to do flat or inclines but not declines). There are no bars and weight plates but a number of machines. If 75s aren't enough for benching (which is highly possible), I just resorted to doing them with one arm only as it is much harder.

As for machines, they had the typical cybex stuff, tri press (sitting dips), leg ext and curl, shoulder press, rows, press ad curls. It's not the best gym in the world but adequate as long as you are not a power lifter looking to build while on ship.

• 3 months later...

There are several classes offered, mostly in the mornings. Definitely Pilates (mat) and spin. They also have classes for the gravity machines (they have six) which are AMAZING. The classes are pricier (I think around $30 pp) but the workout is awesome. Our family of six had our own private class. Big tip: go the gym as soon as you get on board if you want to book classes as they fill up very quickly!

I know this isn't on point with the OP's question but I thought I'd include it for others looking here: Bring Headphones if you ever might use the cardio equipment (treadmill, elliptical, cycles, etc)

I very seldom use the gym as I generally spend my exercise time walking up on deck - it is so much more fun in between the fresh air, the people watching, listening to the band and the scenery. I'll do 4 to 7 miles on a sea day.

But on the Equinox I did head to the gym once or twice on rainy days. The one thing I'd wished I had brought was a set of headphones. All the cardio equipment had built in TV screens that had several functions but you had to have your own headphones to listen.

There are several classes offered, mostly in the mornings. Definitely Pilates (mat) and spin. They also have classes for the gravity machines (they have six) which are AMAZING. The classes are pricier (I think around $30 pp) but the workout is awesome. Our family of six had our own private class. Big tip: go the gym as soon as you get on board if you want to book classes as they fill up very quickly!

What are the "gravity machines"?

Archived