Flight to Vegas

AussieKathy

I need to book a flight to Las Vegas. We are on the Norwegian Star arrives San Pedro at 8:00am we plan on using the express service and walk off with our bags. Catch shuttle bus to LAX.

If I book a flight to Vegas at 11.05 is this doable?

11:05 is not doable. There is just too much that can go wrong (customs delay, traffic) and it is likely that you will arrive at the airport after 11:05. Even if you did, LAX security lines are long and we all know that there is an inverse relationship to how long the security line is and the amount of time you have to get to your flight.

Try for after 1:00 PM or later. You can always ask if you can be put on an earlier flight if you make it.

11:05 is not doable. There is just too much that can go wrong (customs delay, traffic) and it is likely that you will arrive at the airport after 11:05. Even if you did, LAX security lines are long and we all know that there is an inverse relationship to how long the security line is and the amount of time you have to get to your flight.

Try for after 1:00 PM or later. You can always ask if you can be put on an earlier flight if you make it.

I was thinking it was going to be tight. Where we really want to end up that night is in the Grand Canyon. So I'm starting to think it would be quicker to hire a car from San Pedro and drive I've been told it's about 8 hours drive.

Do they have car hire companies at the port in San Pedro I will also have to look at the penatly fee for dropping off in Vegas but would save me about $200 on flights. Didn't fancy battling LA traffic.

The drive to GC is more like 10 hours taking into account fuel and meal stops. That means you will arrive in the early predawn hours. I assume you arrive in port on a weekend? In that case traffic won't be too bad getting out of LA.

Also keep in mind services and places to stop are very sparse even though you will be on major interstate routes (I-15 and I-40). Very much like taking a highway into the Outback at night.

I recommend breaking up your drive, maybe spend the first night in Kingman, AZ and then it will be a few hours to GC the next morning. Driving at night means you miss a lot of scenery, and from Kingman you have the option of driving Historic Route 66 instead of the "superslab" if you're so inclined.

Lodging is available in Tusayan, which is right outside the park entrance and headquarters. It's frankly too touristy for me, a lot of bland chain hotels, tourist traps, and ugly signage. There are also all types of lodging inside the park which can be reserved through the Natl Park Service website. They are run as a concession by an outside contractor and I've always found it to be a good value.

When are you going? During winter and early spring there can be snow in the Williams and GC area. There's usually not too much but even I-40 sometimes closes down after a major winter storm.

There are flights to Las Vegas out of either LAX or Long Beach nearly every hour on Southwest, and if you book early on-line you can get good prices. With your plans, I would not plan on wasting nearly a day driving to Las Vegas (there can be traffic and delays if there is bad weather or a bad wreck). Instead, I would plan to fly to Las Vegas, stay the night there and see the city, then rent a car there and drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Do they have car hire companies at the port in San Pedro I will also have to look at the penatly fee for dropping off in Vegas but would save me about $200 on flights. Didn't fancy battling LA traffic.

I found that one way fees between LA and Vegas are often in that sort of price range anyway. Sometimes you can be lucky, but it depends if you are a member of programs and total time booking the car, as well as the demands of the season.

There are flights to Las Vegas out of either LAX or Long Beach nearly every hour on Southwest, and if you book early on-line you can get good prices. With your plans, I would not plan on wasting nearly a day driving to Las Vegas (there can be traffic and delays if there is bad weather or a bad wreck). Instead, I would plan to fly to Las Vegas, stay the night there and see the city, then rent a car there and drive to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

I would go along with this plan. Try to get a flight to Vegas after noon, with the idea of checking on any avails for earlier flights if you do get to LAX in a timely manner. Less stress that way with Murphy's Law.

If you're not really planning to spend time in Vegas, but need to get to the Grand Canyon, you can fly into a closer city like Phoenix.

If your ultimate goal is the Grand Canyon and not Vegas, there are a whole bunch of flights from Long Beach to Flagstaff. Flagstaff is a great town on it own (it has a wonderful museum call Museum of Northern Arizona), some great restaurants, and is very close to the Grand Canyon.

DON

If your ultimate goal is the Grand Canyon and not Vegas, there are a whole bunch of flights from Long Beach to Flagstaff. Flagstaff is a great town on it own (it has a wonderful museum call Museum of Northern Arizona), some great restaurants, and is very close to the Grand Canyon.

DON

Actually the only non-stop I'm aware of is on QX/Horizon Air (part of the Alaska Air Group); they fly LAX-FLG for about $100

Kathy,

You have lots of options, and here is one for you to consider (I don't now how much time you have and I do not know your budget)

After leaving the ship leisurely, fly from Long Beach to Phoenix, Arizona. I saw a 12:55 PM flight. Rent a car in Phoenix (where car rentals are reasonable) and drive to Sedona Arizona which is about two hours from Phoenix. Sedona is in the middle of the Red Rock country. Spend the night here as there are some excellent hotels and restaurants here. The next day it is about 3 hours or so to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

After visiting the Grand Canyon you have several options. You can drive to Page Arizona and then on through Zion National Park and then to Las Vegas (if you have the time this is the trip I want you to do). Or you can drive to Las Vegas from the Grand Canyon (this is also a nice drive) Or you can drive back to Phoenix, turn in the car and fly to Las Vegas.

Please remember that the Long Beach airport is much closer to the cruise terminals and much easier to use as it is a feeder airport not heavily used.

It isn't non-stop. You change in Phoenix.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong on this one. QX/Horizon operate twice daily, direct LAX-FLG (no change of plane); the only airline to do so.

Actually according to the latest Alaska/Horizon Air timetable the two flights per day are;

To Flagstaff/Grand Canyon - Pulliam Fld AZ (FLG) 393 Mi.

0920 1155 AS2497 DH4 12345.7 1:35 (non-stop)

1300 1625 AS2498 DH4 .....6. 2:25 (1 stop via PRC)

(Above Disc. NOV21)

1505 1830 AS2499 DH4 12345.7 2:25 (1 stop via PRC)

Admittedly, if you fly US Air, you need to change in PHX, but that's not what I was talking about.

Wow you guys have given me a lot more options to think about now.

Is it really a 10 hour drive?? I don't plan to stop much along the way lunch and a couple of quick stops.

Flying into Flagstaff is enough good option. I looked up a few of the car rental companies in San Pedro Enterprise don't let you take the car into Utah and Budget wouldn't let me drop it off in Vegas. Thrifty looks the best I just have make sure they don't have any restrictions what states you go to.

We are also planning on visiting Bryce and Zion National Parks (4 nights) and than back to Vegas for 3 nights.

It's just very complicated when your limited for time.

Kathy,

Another option...please forgive me.

Fly to Las Vegas from either Long Beach airport or Santa Ana John Wayne SNA) which is served by Southwest Airlines. Rent a car at the Las Vegas Airport. This will give the flexibility to really save some money in Las Vegas by staying at excellent hotels off the Strip.

From Las Vegas you can drive to Zion National Park in about 3 hours. This is a very interesting drive. Stay in the town of Springdale which is just outside Zion or if you can afford it, stay at the Zion Lodge. I would stay in Springdale because it is less expensive and there are more restaurants.

VERY IMPORTANT....plan on walking in the Virgin River as this is a real travel experience.

Unless you are a hiker ther is not a lot to see and do at Bryce National Park. It is great to see but you need only 4 -5 hours, not days. What I definitely would do if it is open is to drive down to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

Kathy,

Another option...please forgive me.

Fly to Las Vegas from either Long Beach airport or Santa Ana John Wayne SNA) which is served by Southwest Airlines. Rent a car at the Las Vegas Airport. This will give the flexibility to really save some money in Las Vegas by staying at excellent hotels off the Strip.

From Las Vegas you can drive to Zion National Park in about 3 hours. This is a very interesting drive. Stay in the town of Springdale which is just outside Zion or if you can afford it, stay at the Zion Lodge. I would stay in Springdale because it is less expensive and there are more restaurants.

VERY IMPORTANT....plan on walking in the Virgin River as this is a real travel experience.

Unless you are a hiker ther is not a lot to see and do at Bryce National Park. It is great to see but you need only 4 -5 hours, not days. What I definitely would do if it is open is to drive down to see the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

thanks for the great feedback that's helped me alot about the Bryce Canyon comment I was planning on staying two nights with only a full day look around. So maybe I only need one day and move on at lunchtime the next day. I will look up the Virgin River. I also read the mule rides are good in Bryce although after my recent donkey ride in Santorini I'm not so sure it wouldn't budge after the man left us afterway up the hill.

I didn't realise there was airport at Long Beach so I'm going to check out the flights from there as well.

Archived