Advice on cruises departing from Galveston: are they good for young kids?

Gibbo

Hi there...we are considering a cruise from Galveston - most likely the Royal Caribbean for 7 days with our 2 kids aged 5 and 6. My concern is that they might be too young for the cruises and we might be better off to buck up and pay the airfare to Orlando and take a Disney Cruise. I'm afraid the Royal Caribbean cruise from Galveston would end up a floating daycare and my kids would not like it at all. Has anyone gone on this cruise with their young kids? What was the child care like? We're interested in Voyager of the Seas. Also, has anyone been on both cruise lines and can make a recommendation who has young kids? This is our first cruise BTW. Thanks!

Your post is probably a better fit for the RCCL and Disney forums.

On RCCL its not really day care; its more of a day camp. They take full advantage of the ship's facilities for the kid's activities. Your kids will not be disappointed or bored in fact they will probably have the best vacation ever with all activities and not miss you at all.

Disney is not that much different than RCCL's kid's program in a general sense, it just has the obviously Disney themed activities.

Both RC and Carnival are great for kids. I'm sure Disney is great, but I could never justify spending all the extra $$ (airfare plus double for the cruise when I could drive to Galveston). My children, now 15 & 13 are getting ready to go on their 7th cruise - all Carnival & RC out of Galveston. We are also already booked for the Voyager next year. They will both attest that the cruises out of Galveston are a blast:) RC and Carnival have great kids' programs, especially for 4-10 year olds. As they get older, my kids don't spend as much time with the organized activities. Happy cruising!

• 1 month later...

My children, ages 13, 12 and 9 are going on their 8th cruise in January. We absolutely LOVE Carnival for them. We started when the youngest was 2, and have had some of the best memories on board a Carnival ship.

We have tried NCL, but don't feel they do quite as good of a job with the kids. I think RCCL is similar to Carnival, from what I understand.

We just gave a Carnival Cruise to the kids for Christmas this year, and they all screamed and shouted how excited they are. Definitely give it a try...they won't be bored. We always give them a choice of what to do...what we plan to do or what the kids club has planned. They can pick either way, and all three usually want to go separate ways!

Enjoy!

I dont know about rccl but we went on carnaval ecstacy when my son was 7 and he loved it, we had a hard time getting him to hang out with us, I think its safe to assume rccl has something similar your kids will love it.:)

We've sailed both the Conquest & the Voyager with our grandkids and they love them both. Ours are now 11, 10 and 7. Our grandson is the 7 yr old and this is his 6th cruise, 5 on Carnival! They did like the video room best on Voyager...the Conquest was awful on previous sails...most the machines just took your coins but didn't work...but they say the game room has been refurbed, so I'm hoping it's better now. Anyway, you can't go wrong cruising either of the ships out of Galveston. It's a GREAT port, but I'm partial to it since I live on this beautiful Island!!! And being blocks from the cruise terminal doesn't hurt! Hope you plan to come to the Island and stay a few days before or after your cruise. There's lots to do!

The Carnival Ecstasy has been upgraded with there "Water Works" which is a few more water slides and other water activities. Currently the Carnival Ecstacy is doing 4 & 5 night cruises out of Galveston.

Carnival also has the Camp Carnival which is great for younger children. Camp Carnival hours start about 9 am and go to about 10 pm with later hours available for a fee.

We have taken our younger grandkids on Carnival several times and they have loved it.

Archived