Is Spanish Bay Resort open again after Ivan?

MopedMama

I went there last year (2004) in January and loved it. Would like to go back again this year for a day of relaxing in the sun. I noticed a few questions about it in this forum, if anyone wants to see what it looks like, I have pictures here:

http://www.davidandsherry.com/travels/Splendour0104

They are mixed in with all the Panama Canal Cruise pix, but mostly labelled GCayman something. That was our only shore excursion in Grand Cayman. When I was there, it was very private, not crowded, very quiet and very relaxing. Plenty of free comfy chairs on the sandy parts of the beach. An excellent little man-made cove for smooth snorkelling in the wind - many of those underwater pix are in the cove. They must feed the fish in there, there were tons of them! There is sandy beach, but there is a thin strip of rocks between the sand and the water. You can walk the beach barefoot if you're not planning to swim. One of the pix shows the beach layout. Nice clean sort of small pool (but that was fine because there was only 2 people in it). There is a picture of it in the pix. The food was excellent and the free rum drinks also excellent! They use little disposable cups, though, I may try bringing a sports bottle this year. Definitely worth $85 to me.

SherryB

They said they are planning to reopen sometime in March-April of 2005. The rates will be the same as last year's rates. That's really all they said in the message, so I'm not sure what you'd get if you booked them as a shore excursion. Maybe they meant the regular resort guest rooms are what's opening in March-April? Dunno. I'm going to reply and ask for details. I would definitely need the pool, the snorkelling cove, and the buffet/drinks before I'd pay $85 for 5 hours. :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great day there but I would try something different next time. We are going to snorkel not to stingrays or do turtles..Next trip will try for Botanic Gardens whihc are now closed due to hurricane damage.

Archived