Independent Tours - Mahogany Bay cruisers

Oz9591

I really hope that you will take the time to write Carnival execs.[i did]. I think they need to hear first hand what the cruising public feels about this decision, which to me seems greedy and selfish on their part.

I am thinking that if they don't let tour operators pick up customers that they wouldn't allow taxi's either. I'm anxious to hear back from some of the first cruisers to visit this port to hear the facts.

Yes, I have emailed Carnival to let them know my opinion. Since this port is so new, I feel we will fall on deaf ears for awhile (just my opinion).

This is our first Carnival cruise (on Princess) and this has already put a sour taste in my mouth....It's ok to walk up a hill to get to our tour guide but since we spent the $$ they can drive us DOWN the hill to the ship..come on!!!!

I think, based on the construction pictures, everyone will be walking up " a hill" from the pier to the port village, regardless of whether or not you have a ship excursion or independent guide or are going to the MB beach via bridge or chair lift. However, until cruisers actually use the pier and report back with pictures of the completed areas, and description of the "hill", the only thing we know for sure is that to meet your independent guide, you have to exit the tourist village area. But the return can bring you inside the village/pier area (where you'll walk "down the hill"--harder on knees--to board the ship.

I too am looking forward to 'reports' from upcoming cruisers to see what their experiences are. I am appalled that Carnival wants to 'monopolize' the tours and discourage cruisers from using independent tour guides by making them less accessible. Shame on them! It is not up to them to decide where and how I spend my money once I am at a specific port! Surely there is enuf to go around?

I just heard from Upachaya for my cruise on HAL in Feb. They said that they are still not sure if they will be allowed to pick up passengers at the new facility. If not it will be about a half mile or so to a meeting place. It seems that private tour companies--especially the small companies are not getting alot of encouraging news from Carnival Corp.

I'm writing to both Carnival Corp and HAL.

I just heard from Upachaya for my cruise on HAL in Feb. They said that they are still not sure if they will be allowed to pick up passengers at the new facility. If not it will be about a half mile or so to a meeting place. It seems that private tour companies--especially the small companies are not getting alot of encouraging news from Carnival Corp.

I'm writing to both Carnival Corp and HAL.

This is exactly what I am hearing from Victor. Carnival is not only not willing to work with them, it sounds as if they've instructed their "approved" taxi drivers not to drive customers to the independent tour guides either. Unbelievable how they would treat the citizens of Roatan. I have recieved a reply from Graham Davis of Carnival, and will be writing additional letters also.

excerpt from his reply:

"We sincerely apologize that you are disappointed over our decision not to provide pre-screened tour operators with access to the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center. Our primary goal is to ensure that you have an exceptional and memorable experience.

A transportation desk is available in the terminal and taxis are also readily available should you wish to utilize these options."

I'm anxious to hear if taxi's will actually be willing to do this as I've heard otherwise.

Isn't it great we can't decide for ourselves if a tour guide is reputable? I guess the hundreds of people who have posted positive reviews about the local independent operators don't know what they are talking about? It couldn't have anything to do with Carnival wanting to control all the excursion money. No way!

The hill in question goes up from the dock to the main highway where we will be picked up by our independent tour operator. It is not steep but a gradual incline roughly a half mile long. Probably not the best terrain for a wheel chair or walker. There is no sidewalk, you will be sharing the road (although it is wide) with all of the wheeled traffic.

Taxi's allowed into the facility will be on a numbering system so everyone gets a fair chance. You can bet one of these guys will not want to drive you just out to the road for a couple of bucks and return to the end of the line, they will hold out for a fare to West End or West Bay for a much higher rate.

It has also been reported Carnival has already brought in hundreds of taxi's and buses so the locals may be pushed out there as well.

As one previous responder noted, be sure whoever picks you up has verification of your email confirmation.

Typically to qualify as a cruise tour with Carnival a company needs to provide insurance at the rate of $10-12,000 a year, be able to accommodate at least 60 cruisers and expect to have the cost of their tour almost doubled by the cruise company. Most small businesses can not comply with these requirements.

This is not just a Carnival issue. Some mentioned the local politicians being involved prior to the deal being signed to allow locals to get a fair deal. Can you say Corruption? Don't count on anyone in the current island government to play fairly. The owner of the land that Mahogany bay is built on is the current Congressman. Carnival has a twenty year lease on the property. Initially there were two independents allowed "in", the congressman and another old island family. One of the other large tours has complained and apparently has been allowed "in" as well. Everyone else is trying to figure out what to do as they have been allowed access to us cruisers for years at the Coxen Hole port but all of a sudden are being shut out.

The few "connected" elite are raking in the bucks while everyone else gets the shaft!

In a recent reply one of us posted from a Carnival manager he said applicants are being approved. This is nonsense. For months independent tour companies have been applying and none have been approved thus far, unless the three who have represent those.

The bottom line is we are the ones paying for this new terminal through our cruise bookings and all of the other ways they manage to get our dollar. We should be allowed a voice as to what activities we are or are not allowed to participate in.

I am contacting the Carnival reps and strongly voicing my opinion on this issue.

Despite this inconvenience, Happy Cruising!

This is a disgrace. Especially when you consider it is all the lines under the Carnival umbrella. Already people are thinking--wow there is a nice beach, bars, cabanas right in the port--why even leave.

In Europe (where I'm used to travel) it is true that in some ports you have to leave the port area to pick up a private tour--Cadiz comes to mind right away (we usually just use public transportation--no tours at all)). In other ports like Livorno or Civitavecchia where it is not possible to walk through the port private guides are allowed to pick you up right at the ship.

This is a clear case of Carnival Corp getting in bed with local corrupt politicians to create a monopoly for profit only. Has everyone read the book Devils on the Deep Blue Sea about the beginning of the cruise industry. Things never change and greed always wins.

I may just continue to go travel on my own--the loss of one cruise passenger is not a big deal but at least I won't be contributing to the corrupt players.

Funny thing is that this winter we were debating between doing a land vacation or cruising...next year its a no brainer.

This is a clear case of Carnival Corp getting in bed with local corrupt politicians to create a monopoly for profit only. Has everyone read the book Devils on the Deep Blue Sea about the beginning of the cruise industry. Things never change and greed always wins.

I agree 100%. I think there should be a healthy debate about this on the main Carnival board. I have been waiting to read some of the first reviews once it opens to write up my personal feelings about this subject. My fear is that by exposing the corrupt and heartless policies of all who contributed to this policy may harm more people that it helps [would the powers that be further punish the already affected parties?] I am one of the biggest cruise "cheerleaders" out there, but this whole deal has got me rethinking the whole cruise experience. I am just sincerely hoping that Royal Caribbean, and NCL will continue to use the older pier and that these operators will be able to continue their businesses. It is obvious though that they will loose a huge customer base.

I am totally ashamed of everyone who participated in this endeavor at Mahogany Bay. Too bad they had to put an ugly stain on what could have been a wonderful new port.

So please correct me if I'm wrong, here....No other ports/piers in the Caribbean are controlled by cruise ship lines and "corrupt" politicans? No other ports/piers have restrictions on who can open up shop or access the pier areas? No other cruise lines support a select group of vendors? Including shop keepers and bars/restaurants? In any port?

Again, I bring it to your attention, the majority of cruise passengers don't want to "see the real island" . To them the "real island" is a very ugly, dirty, piss-poor hellhole. They are the ones whose complaints over the "lack of activities" in Roatan, lead Carnival to look to providing a spot that can accomodate the majority of their cruisers desires. Look at the development in Costa Maya for another similar case.

For those of us who love going off the beaten path, exploring and learning about other places, trying new things, we'll always be able to find a way to do so. And enjoy the heck out of ourselves. We're not the ones that will only remember Roatan, or any port, through an alcoholic fog of "was it at Jimmy Buffets or Senor Frogs or C&Cs that so-and-so did such and such".

Yes, it seems like it may be a tad inconvenient for us, and may be a bit of a hassle for the independent operators at first, but believe me, the good ones will have a system down and a year from now, no one will worry about the inconvenience. Plus with more ships arriving on the island during the week, the independents will be busy enough.

Word from the island is one of the ship captains would not bring his ship in because the water is not deep enough. More dredging needs to be done. They are looking at 3 weeks before Mahogany Bay opens but by island time that could be 3 months.

Well at least it's good news for the independent tour guides:)

Archived