hotel near Manhatten trem.

earl_m

earl_m - please give us more details - budget, exact date, number of people, number of beds, etc. How are you arriving? Are you planning to sightsee or just get on the ship? The closest hotels to the cruise terminal are not that close, so generally we recommend staying in a more central NY location.

• 2 weeks later...
We're booked in the Holiday Inn on 57th. It looks like it's a short cab ride from there to the Manhattan cruise terminal. Anybody ever stay there?

We used the HI last June before our cruise. Great location - we walked lots of places and it is a quick cab ride to the terminal. The rooms are decent and quite large for NY.

If you have any specific questions you can ask.

We used the HI last June before our cruise. Great location - we walked lots of places and it is a quick cab ride to the terminal. The rooms are decent and quite large for NY.

If you have any specific questions you can ask.

That's great to hear. We're going to sail out of NYC again next fall on Carnival Glory, and will probably make our reservation while we're there tomorrow night.

Any decent places to grab a bite to eat either at the hotel or nearby?

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but I heard it was reasonable and good (but someone said drinks are $$$$). We ate at some places in Times Square while we were walking around - pizza etc. No place special but there were plenty of places around. I'm sure you could ask the concierge at the hotel for some recommendations too.

Have a great time! It was our first time in NY so we really had fun walking around and seeing the sights and took a of couple tours too.

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but I heard it was reasonable and good (but someone said drinks are $$$$). We ate at some places in Times Square while we were walking around - pizza etc. No place special but there were plenty of places around. I'm sure you could ask the concierge at the hotel for some recommendations too.

Have a great time! It was our first time in NY so we really had fun walking around and seeing the sights and took a of couple tours too.

I wish we were going to have time to do a little sightseeing, but I don't expect to even arrive at the hotel until 8pm. By that time, we're going to be hungry and tired. :(

That's great to hear. We're going to sail out of NYC again next fall on Carnival Glory, and will probably make our reservation while we're there tomorrow night.

The Holiday Inn is very close to Carnegie Hall. Lots of places to eat close by.

Mooguy - I googled the Standard Hotel and found some interesting articles - doesn't sound like your run of the mill NY hotel, but perhaps it is not for everyone. http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/06/standard_hotel.html and http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/08/standard_hotels_exhibitionist.html. I'd also go through the Trip Advisor reviews. Sounds like the hotel has great views, but it's in an odd section and is 2 avenues west of the 8th Ave. subway at 14th St.

Mooguy - I googled the Standard Hotel and found some interesting articles - doesn't sound like your run of the mill NY hotel, but perhaps it is not for everyone. http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/06/standard_hotel.html and http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/08/standard_hotels_exhibitionist.html. I'd also go through the Trip Advisor reviews. Sounds like the hotel has great views, but it's in an odd section and is 2 avenues west of the 8th Ave. subway at 14th St.

I had read about the Hotel a few months ago on one of those things that pops up on my start page that was about new and interesting building designs. We maybe going on the 5 day cruise to the NE on the Glory and will probably spend a night or two pre cruise and would like to try someplace different then the tourist trap of Times Square.

Archived