New build announcement coming by yearend

Richard Stein

UBS: Princess newbuild order may be near per Seatrade insider news

Thursday, 12 November 2009 20:52

In an analysts meeting today on board Carnival Dream in New York, management’s tone ‘marked a definite change around newbuild orders’ with Carnival Corp. & plc now expecting a Princess newbuild order to be completed before year end or shortly after, UBS Investment Research said in a note.

This could make a 2012 delivery possible, said UBS analyst Robin Farley.

Carnival indicated post-2011 capacity will grow by two to three ships a year, though at a rate much lower than at the industry’s average growth rate, Farley said. Total capital expenditure levels for those years is expected in the approximately $2bn to $2.5bn range.

UBS also reiterated, as the brokerage has stated since summer, that Carnival will likely reinstate its dividend by the first quarter of 2010, though likely not at the prior 40-cent per quarter level.

Farley added that Carnival is not seeing the weakness in the Florida source market reported by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. during its Nov. 3 earnings call.

UBS affirmed its ‘buy’ rating on CCL and a target price of $46.

At the most traveled luncheon last month, the captain told us all about this new build plan. But I actually was afraid to mention it after reading so many posts saying there were no new builds for Princess in the future. He told us that the rumor was that it would debut sometime in late 2012. So, It seems he really knew what he was talking about. ;)

From what the captain said, you aren't going to like the size of this next one. :( (or me either)

This does not sound good at all. I have always said that the crown class is about as large as I will go. Bigger is not necessarily better. :eek:

I just hope it is not one of those behemoth ships.....like Oasis:eek:

Arison address that issue well in an interview in October saying that they have no plans for anything over the size of the Dream...for all their brands.

He said large ships like Oasis are too restricted to where it can go and, the smaller ships are better managed, service levels will stay high and there is flexibility as to where it can go.

He also made reference that some folks enjoy a vacation to "Malls of America" and others want to be on a cruise...

I think that was a civilized shot....whaddya think?:D

At the most traveled luncheon last month, the captain told us all about this new build plan. But I actually was afraid to mention it after reading so many posts saying there were no new builds for Princess in the future. He told us that the rumor was that it would debut sometime in late 2012. So, It seems he really knew what he was talking about. ;)

What did the captain say? The Carnival, Costa and Princess ships lately have all been built at Fincantieri on the same platform. I do not expect it to be bigger than the Dream, but the same size. With Alaska falling out of favor the need for a new ship the size of Coral and Island has diminished. I was on the Grand twice during the inaugural season and was not sure I would like it. I will not sail on the RCCL mega ships, but let us wait and see.

RCI is really struggling to fill the Oasis. Their prices are totally out of whack for the product and in comparison to other new ships. They have bitten off way too much with that ship and I expect prices will fall greatly in the future.

I can't stand the way they operate their pricing structure and it is causing them some problems. Hopefully, Princess is watching RCI and will be smart enough to build a ship that is no bigger than the Crown.

That would be a shame if they go bigger. What did the captain say?

Sorry, been gone all afternoon, I wasn't ignoring the question.

From what the Captain said the 'rumor' was it was going to be a BIG ship, but he never said how big. Everyone sitting with us expressed what a shame that is that they could be adding another big ship to the fleet. Keep in mind, that all of us at the table are small ship lovers and so even a newer, but larger ship really didn't interest any of us. :(

I like the size of the Crown/Emerald/Ruby, but I'd like to see is fewer cabins and more common areas. Make the cabins a bit larger thus reducing the number of cabins and the number of people. Put more bars/restaurants in, enlarge the Piazza and include more seating and make the Princess Theatre larger with more seating.

Archived