Cannes from 10:00am to 5:00pm

SarahK81

I will be on a cruise in a couple of weeks, and one of our ports of call is Cannes. We dock at 10, and leave at 5. Ideally, my friend and I would like to make it to both Nice and Monaco, but we have concerns about time and transportation. Can anyone offer any advice or tell about past experience? I'm curious about train/bus schedules and prices and if this itinerary is even possible. Thanks!

I will be on a cruise in a couple of weeks, and one of our ports of call is Cannes. We dock at 10, and leave at 5. Ideally, my friend and I would like to make it to both Nice and Monaco, but we have concerns about time and transportation. Can anyone offer any advice or tell about past experience? I'm curious about train/bus schedules and prices and if this itinerary is even possible. Thanks!

Please read down on this board as there is soooo much info re Cannes and environs that will get a lot of info..then if you still have questions you can post.There is a lot of nfo re the trains and bus as well.

O.K.: one single trip in 2nd class is CURRENTLY 8.20 EUR and 12.30 EUR in 1st class.

Mostly mid December when the schedule will change there might be price adjustments.

Here you find the CURRENT train schedule which is valid until December 12, 2009:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mandelieu-Grasse-Vintimiglia_ete_tcm27-23460.pdf

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH06-Marseille-Vintimiglia_ete_tcm27-23462.pdf

If your "in a couple of weeks" exceeds December 12, 2009, you need to check later again.

The bus is scenic but you will need approx. 3 hours from Cannes to Monaco by bus. But it's only 2 EUR.

Regards,

HeinBloed

O.K.: one single trip in 2nd class is CURRENTLY 8.20 EUR and 12.30 EUR in 1st class.

Mostly mid December when the schedule will change there might be price adjustments.

Here you find the CURRENT train schedule which is valid until December 12, 2009:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mandelieu-Grasse-Vintimiglia_ete_tcm27-23460.pdf

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH06-Marseille-Vintimiglia_ete_tcm27-23462.pdf

If your "in a couple of weeks" exceeds December 12, 2009, you need to check later again.

The bus is scenic but you will need approx. 3 hours from Cannes to Monaco by bus. But it's only 2 EUR.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you so much for the helpful information, HeinBloed! Do you know the locations of the train stations in Nice and Monaco? I know where the station is in Cannes. Thanks again!

I have written several posts about this awful situation...and I sure smell Norwegian when I see these port times. You need to understand that 10 - 5 does not really mean anything close to 10 -5. Cannes is a tender port, and if you are not on an overpriced cruise line excursion you can expect to have some waiting time before you get ashore. You than need to consider that you will probably be required to be back at the tender pier by 4:30 in order to catch the last tender. It does take more than an hour (each way) to get to Monte Carlo by train (the fastest way) and you also must factor-in the time to get to the Cannes train station (about 25 min walking and faster if you can find a taxi) plus the time you lose waiting for a train. Nice is about 20 min closer (by train or car) to Cannes than is Monte Carlo, but it is still about an hour each way. Assuming you could get ashore by 11, to the Cannes train station before 11:30, than you should be able to get to Cannes or Monte Carlo by 1 pm. But, you would need to be on a train back to Cannes by around 3 pm in order to have a sufficient safety margin for getting to the tenders on time. Bhy the way, many Monte Carlo visitors want to see the Changing of the Guard which is held once per day at 11:55 am. With your port schedule this would be very difficult unless you are on a cruise excursion that gets you priority tendering and a fast bus.

Hank

I have written several posts about this awful situation...and I sure smell Norwegian when I see these port times.

Do you have a cold??? Have some hot chilli for your breath...

NCL is leaving at 15.00 hrs... We are on NORWEGIAN GEM on Sunday...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you so much for the helpful information, HeinBloed! Do you know the locations of the train stations in Nice and Monaco? I know where the station is in Cannes. Thanks again!

For Nice the best map is here:

http://www.lignedazur.com/plan/index.asp?rub_code=5&thm_id=1849&gpl_id=

and for Monaco Monte Carlo see here:

http://www.monaco-gare.com/plan.html

Here you find also all connecting elevators of the town.

Sorry I do not get in deeper discussion but as you can see on my timer:

I need to pack and leave by myself.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I have written several posts about this awful situation...and I sure smell Norwegian when I see these port times. You need to understand that 10 - 5 does not really mean anything close to 10 -5. Cannes is a tender port, and if you are not on an overpriced cruise line excursion you can expect to have some waiting time before you get ashore. You than need to consider that you will probably be required to be back at the tender pier by 4:30 in order to catch the last tender. It does take more than an hour (each way) to get to Monte Carlo by train (the fastest way) and you also must factor-in the time to get to the Cannes train station (about 25 min walking and faster if you can find a taxi) plus the time you lose waiting for a train. Nice is about 20 min closer (by train or car) to Cannes than is Monte Carlo, but it is still about an hour each way. Assuming you could get ashore by 11, to the Cannes train station before 11:30, than you should be able to get to Cannes or Monte Carlo by 1 pm. But, you would need to be on a train back to Cannes by around 3 pm in order to have a sufficient safety margin for getting to the tenders on time. Bhy the way, many Monte Carlo visitors want to see the Changing of the Guard which is held once per day at 11:55 am. With your port schedule this would be very difficult unless you are on a cruise excursion that gets you priority tendering and a fast bus. Hank

Hank and others have outlined some solid and practical aspects for what you can and cannot do during a fairly short period in Cannes. Unfortunately Cannes is at the western edge of this popular zone. Normally, I would suggest that folks also consider something more than just the well-known urban areas such as Nice and Monaco. Eze is super great, in my view. Also . . .

Be properly warned that Nice, Cannes, Monaco, etc. can and will be extremely crowded during their peak tourism periods. Lots and lots of people (both residents and visitors), too many cars, too few highways and limited land between the mountains and sea to hold all comfortably and easily. The movies have made these large cities seem attractive and appealing. Do not Cary Grant and Grace Kelly seem to be having fun there? So glamorous and exciting?! For movies, they make it seem so wonderful. If you are rich and in the “best, right” areas, it can seem and be wonderful. BUT, that congestion might be a turn-off. It depends on what are you expecting, seeking and willing to pay for to hang with the rich and avoid the mobs in these famed areas. Movie-like expectations must be matched with reality and your timing for visits in this area.

Many cruise tours are over-priced and too much of a cattle-call, but if that trip goes where you want for a certain "EXPERIENCE", then maybe it is not that bad. Lots of pro-con factors to consider, including to some of the charming places such as Eze, Grasse, Saint Paul, etc., that have gotten as much movie/media hype.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Great post Terry and sooooo true. Anyone who has tried driving between Cannes and Nice (along the coastal N7) in tourist season can attest to the horrendous traffic. As to the "cattle calls" we have learned to leave that for the cattle and simply do our own thing. We are always amazed at how many cruisers are content to be guided through a street (such as in St Paul de Vence) with a person carrying a little paddle...and providing professional commentary saying "This is an ice cream store......This is a boutique.... etc. ARGH!

Hank

Archived