Cape Liberty New Jersey

Hobie1976

Just want to warn anyone that plans to park in Bayonne, NJ that the overspray problem is back. My car was damaged several years ago from the overspray. The parking area was changed and it seemed to have been resolved. I just returned last Saturday and my car has damage from overspray. You dont always notice it at first. It is all over my windshield.

When you put the wipers one, they make an odd noise from the scraping over the overspray.

Can someone please post a good email address to contact RCCL? I used it years ago and was very pleased to have received a response. I originally was looking for it to praise some of the staff on the Explorer..but will also need to voice our opinon about the overspray problem.

Thanks

I'll be parked at hte Bayonne Terminal a week from now. What's overspray or overspray of what?

there is a ship repair dry dock yard there, and they spray paint/varnish/whatever. Wow this terrible that it is back. Last time we parked there we bought a $25 cover, figured I would rather be safe the sorry.

Very interesting post....We sailed three weeks ago on the explorer and parked at the terminal. TODAY I was driving with the wipers on and decided I needed to replace them.. They were making a strange "scraping" sound and not cleaning well. hmmmmmm....

We returned home last weekend and have the same problem. There are speckles ALL over the car. It's hard to see out of the windshield, especially in the rain. The wipers are now ruined, and when I sprayed windex and scrubbed, NOTHING came off.

There is a thread for this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1083126

and here is a link I found:

http://www.jacksonnjonline.com/2009/11/15/royal-caribbean-passengers-beware-vehicles-being-damaged-permanently-at-port-liberty-cruise-terminal/

• 4 weeks later...

The President of the Bayonne Dry Dock is Mr. Michael Cranston 201-424-2358 extension 12. Perhaps he can help....there is also was also an article in USA Today's cruising section about this issue....you can google that as well. I have found that they are not as responsive as the article would lead one to believe....I am facing a $2000 plus repair bill to replace components that neither a detail shop or the dealer can remove. This occurred between October 16th and October 30 while we were on the Constellation.

We were on the Oct.29-Nov. 7th cruise and had overspray on our car. I was directed to call Kevin Sullilvan at Bayonne Drydock. His number is (201)823-9295. He will ask the dates of the cruise and whether you have your parking receipt. He told me to get an estimate from a dealer or detail shop. I then faxed the estimate and parking receipt to him and he called the dealer and paid for the detailing over the phone with a credit card. Very easy transaction. By the way, the detailer had to use a clay bar to remove the overspray from the paint and glass. It is now like new. Good luck to all.

We were lucky and used Bayonne during the time the parking lot was moved and there was no spray problem. Since I've read about the change in the parking lot and we'll be using Bayonne again, my husband has been tyring to find a car cover for the $25 price I've read about on this board in other posts too. Where do you find a $25 car cover?

Thanks

There's now a current thread on the Celebrity Board--some recent Constellation cruisers had very high repair bills but they were paid for by the drydock people... I am getting the car cover if we can't get an affordable limo from LI to this port...

According to the ship to lot shuttle driver, they are using both parking lots...don't know what the criteria for choosing lots is.

Both times I have parked in the lot with the overspray issue. The first time I used a car cover but there was no residue on it at cruise's end. This last time I brought it with me again, but since I have a little Hyundai and was parked between 2 ginormous SUVs, I decided to take my chances and again had no overspray.

There was a recent article in the news section that details this exact problem. Apparently they are aware of the problem but don't know or don't really care about fixing it in a timely manner.

The link for the cruise critic news article is below. If memory serves there is a number to call if you have damage to your car.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3565

Go to amazondotcom and type in disposal car covers. I just got one for my Honda Van for Mar 7 sailing and it only cost me $10.00 plus a couple dollars for shipping. Its called Universal Disposable Car Cover 12' by 24'.

Good Luck

Has anyone used these car covers before? Do they really prevent the overspray from damaging the cars?

Archived