Must all room charges go to one credit card?

yoyocruiser

We will be a VERY full suite--six of us in an AB. After much thought and attention to the matter, and although we will be crowded, this seemed to be the easiest way to ensure that the family could experience the suite perks together AND to ensure that the kids (all between 18-20) would be in a room with parent (thus avoiding the issue of no one being in the room who is not 21). Call us crazy, but that's just how we think it will work out the best.

My question is whether or not there can only be one billing possibility for onboard charges. I would like to set up for my husband and I to use a credit card and then put X amount of cash in each child's account. Also, they all have their own debit cards (and jobs for that matter) and could possibly use their own cards, but I understand this can tie up money for a while. But I would like for each of these young adults to be responsible for what they choose to purchase, and to be responsible to stay within a budget. However, I feel that this quite probably will not be possible--seems like that would be very difficult for NCL. However, I don't even know how we could hardly keep track of each one's charges if there are six people's charges on one account. I trust our kids, but I think even as adults it's easy for the charges to run up. This may be especially true if we decide to allow them to drink on this cruise--which we are considering.

I realize that if all charges must go to one card that we--as parents-- still have many options. We may simply not allow them to make any charges-(but given their ages that seems difficult as well as possibly disruptive to my husband and myself.) We may allow them to be on the room charge, but not give permission for them to drink. Or we may allow them to both drink and be on the room charge--but with the understanding that they may only drink when they are with us and the drinks are paid for by us. Or we may allow them to charge--and simply closely monitor the bill at the end of each day--cutting them off the charge card if they act irresponsibly. Just as a matter of information, each of these kids is quite responsible, however, the process of growing up can be challenging. Our vacation can be a learning experience--but not one in which they are given too much freedom or are invited to overspend money etc.

Any technical information regarding how charges may be made would be msot helpful, as well as the experiences of any parents who have sought to walk this line between allowing freedom while also setting reasonable limitations and expectations.

yoyocruiser

We had three in our room with three different credit cards.... Worked great, they even seperate each days service charge to each card.... You will just give them each persons credit card when you check in..... Have fun, that many people in one room will just add to the excitment of the trip, more stories to tell when you get home..... :eek:

each person can check-in with their own form of deposit. just remember that with a debit card, NCL may put a hold on the account. if the checking account has a low balance, that can cause checks to bounce. (the hold can take a week to 30 days to disappear, due to banking rules)

you can use cash deposit and then their accounts would be limited to cash on hand.

even if you use your card for them, you can put a limit on their account. OR using their debit cards/credit cards, you can make payments toward their account if you wanted to?

Wow, I had no idea I could possibly set up that many payment accounts! Actually DH and I will go on one card, and then I think I will deposit cash in each of their accounts. If you ask them to use a debit/credit card as a credit card, do they still do the hold on the account? I know that if you say it is a debit card they do. My card however is a mastercard debit card, and if I ask for it to be used as a credit card I end up signing instead of putting in a pin number. But I have never eally researched if they still do the hold.

And I thank you for the quick response and Sunnywa for your encouragement--LOL--I hope it makes for lots of good stories!

Toyz, if I let them use my card, how could I put a limit on it?

Thanks much all!!

yoyocruiser

all debit cards could have a hold put on them. even some credit cards, if you charge a lot they will put a hold on them to protect themselves.

since debit cards come out of a checking/saving account, they put a hold to make sure the money stays in the account until the billing goes through. even then some banks take forever to take the hold off!

you can put a limit on their account, many cruisiers w/kids do just that.

Maybe this will help ...

Each person gets a NCL ships card with their name on it. The magnetic stripe on that card tells the point of sale machines what ship's account that card is related to and contains a unique number for that passenger. Some terminals display the passenger's picture when the card is swiped (ie, at security points). That card also acts as a key card for the cabin.

So ... each passenger gets their own ship's key card. That card is assciated with a shipboard account where all charges are posted. That account is backed by some kind of promise to pay ... credit card, debit card or cash deposit. Each person, even in the same cabin, can have their own set up for payment.

You WANT each persons shipboard card to be on separate account, otherwise it would get confusing who charged what and where, especially at the bar. Let each know they are responsible for what they sign for and what goes on THEIR bill.

You could easily tell each child you will pay $100 of their bill, or some amount. Everything else is their responisiblity and they can write you a check for example. Or then can go down on the last day and pay with the debit card, or cash. The actual billing can go to your credit card (not shipboard ard) if you want.

As to the cabin.

Yes, that many will be a bit crazy with 6 in a cabin, but at least Mom and Dad get their bedroom to HIDE from the lovely kids.

By the way, if you can swing it, 4 kids in an inside down the hall would make for a nice cruise, leaving the suite for get togethers and your retaining sanity. That way kids can stay up late, sleep in, do whatever. Keep in mind, that 2nd bedroom is very small. doable, but very small. Make sure your ship has a pullout couch as well in the living room

OP ~ Is there no way the kids could get a "credit" card before your cruise? The reason I ask is because of the holds that will most likely tie up the kid's bank accounts, and I would be loath to give anyone a debit card in case there's a charge dispute, and the obvious security issue. If a mistake is made in accounting, it could tie up their money for weeks. Just a thought.

If you do take Gary's advice and get a 2nd cabin for the kids, they will still be included in all the perks.

OP ~ Is there no way the kids could get a "credit" card before your cruise? The reason I ask is because of the holds that will most likely tie up the kid's bank accounts, and I would be loath to give anyone a debit card in case there's a charge dispute, and the obvious security issue. If a mistake is made in accounting, it could tie up their money for weeks. Just a thought.

If you do take Gary's advice and get a 2nd cabin for the kids, they will still be included in all the perks.

Are you really sure that the almost adult children will be included in the perks if they have a cabin of their own? I doubt it.

Not technically and not generally, especially for adults ("children" or "family" or not) unless it's an AF connecting to the AB.

beachchick

Not technically and not generally, especially for adults ("children" or "family" or not) unless it's an AF connecting to the AB.

beachchick

I thought I've read to the contrary. Since the parents are paying for the additional cabin, the kids would be included. It may have been that one of the parents had to be a pax in the smaller cabin, but not actually stay in the cabin.

I've read many times where parents who are in suites, and have kids in another room have had the suite perks extended to their children. However, in all of those cases, the kids have been younger...early teens. I honestly don't know if they will extend the suite perks to nearly adult children. Especially since there are 4 of them. I would think in this case that it would be up to the concierge whether or not they were included. And that will most likely depend on how many VIP's are on the list for that sailing. If the VIP list is already crowded, they may not add extras.

However, even if they weren't techinically included, many of the perks would fall their way simply because they are the OP's children. For example, OP wants to make a dinner reservation and tells the concierge how many people will be in their party. Or OP just orders dinner in their suite for 6 people. Boarding or disembarkation probably won't be an issue either as the concierge will usually include the entire group unless the size is extremely large.

CG

How long is the money held up if you are using a debit card? So - can you literally put cash toward your charges? What happens if your account goes under? How do they give you the cash back before you disembark? Thanks.

Archived