If you're considering a South American cruise...

I thought I'd post this for U.S. or Canadian citizens considering a cruise to South America. This is something we wish we'd known before booking our upcoming cruise out of Rio de Janeiro.

Prior to booking this cruise, it was not made obvious that we would need a visa for Brazil. This visa currently costs $130 per person, (U.S. citizens) plus the cost of photos. If you use a visa service, it will cost approx another $100 each. If you don't use a visa service, you will have to be prepared to go in person to your regional Brazilian consulate, once to drop off the application and another time to pick up the visa within 90 days before entering Brazil.

There's also a $131 fee (U.S. citizens) for entering Chile via the International airport in Santiago.

Long story short, if you're considering a S.A. cruise be aware of these extra expenses as it's likely the cruise company will not mention it until after you've booked. Even then, you kind of have to dig for the information on your on-line cruise personalizer or wait for your cruise docs.

If you don't like the extra expenses, consider another cruise. :)

Someone posted the following a while back and I kept it for when we are planning a South American cruise:

You only pay an entry fee in Chile if you arrive by air. Cruises that end in Valparaiso have no entry fee or departure fee.

Argentina has no entry fee, but has a departure fee.

Cruising from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso results in no fees.

The reverse direction (Valparaiso to Buenos Aries) has fees at both ends.

So, in essence, do your RESEARCH before you take off on your vacation!!!!!

It always amazes me how many folks just blithely book stuff and know nothing about what they're getting into!!!! Like visas, tips, misc. costs, dress suggestions...

We have cruised South America multiple times. I highly recommend a South America cruise.

Yes, there can be additional costs but it depends how you arrive to these locations and where you visit.

But it's no different than other places.

You fly to Europe and while you may not incur these types of costs you will face a very high exchange rate versus the dollar if that is your currency.

I would not let these additonal costs for South America deter whether or not I took a South America cruise but yes it's good to know them up front.

Keith

Archived