Emerald drydock

SCFCRUISER

Hey folks, for anyone sailing on a future Emerald cruise, just wanted to let you know that Emerald is going into drydock starting on 12-7-09 until her next sailing of 12-20-09. I asked the lady at Princess what they were going to do, but she did not know. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Steve

I wonder if they are going to work on balancing the screws, had a vibration that could be felt all the way up on Riviera Deck in March, or maybe reweld some plates as I remember some heavy rust along a weld seam when we were in St. Thomas.

Jim

Just curious..why? Not really sure what drydocking means.. we will beon the 24th of jan

Drydock actually means that the ship is removed from the water while repairs and renovations are made. Often times, it is actually a Wetdock where renovations and repairs are made while the ship is in the water.

Many have posted on CC that they were unhappy with their cruise immediately before the dry dock because renovations were started early that interferred with their cruise. People have also reported that in some cases these renovations have ran late and interferred with the cruise afterwards.

For those that are not immediately impacted post dry dock sailing often includes a ship that has been freshend up a bit and is good as new.

Just curious..why? Not really sure what drydocking means.. we will beon the 24th of jan

Hey teeny25, not to worry. Every 3 years or so they repaint the hull & do any engine maintenance that needs to be done. They usually replace any carpet or tile that needs replaced. Just an all around sprucing up or remodeling.

We are looking forward to it.

Steve

I wonder if they are going to work on balancing the screws, had a vibration that could be felt all the way up on Riviera Deck in March, or maybe reweld some plates as I remember some heavy rust along a weld seam when we were in St. Thomas.

Jim

That would be nice - on our Baltic cruise we'd be woken up in the morning by them :)

Does anyone know if they are going to do major rennovations??? We were on the CB three weeks after a drydock and the first 2 cruises, people had a lot of complaints about restaurants not open and sections closed. I thought this was a new ship.

My boyfriend is currently in Freeport working on Holland America's Rotterdam which is there for 5 weeks. The same company he is working for also has the contract for the Emerald Princess and he's been told he may get moved to the Emerald to help out on some bits of it if they fall behind (PA system, big TV, theatre is stuff he's done before so that's the kinda area he will be doing).

The Rotterdam is having so much work done that they cannot stay on the ship, they are staying in a hotel which has WiFi so he's been able to keep in touch briefly. Not sure what will happen if he moves to the Emerald, guessing he will be able to stay on that and therefore will probably not have internet.

However, general gist of what I'm saying is if I find out anything....I'll let you know! :D

Interesting news about Emerald, I just sailed this ship this past week! (Nov. 15-22).

My friend and I had a great time but had to stay away from our railings for our balcony room...they did some varnishing both the day we set sail and a few days later (2nd coat).

Sticky city! But at least they did the work while we were off on an excursion.

My boyfriend is currently in Freeport working on Holland America's Rotterdam which is there for 5 weeks. The same company he is working for also has the contract for the Emerald Princess and he's been told he may get moved to the Emerald to help out on some bits of it if they fall behind (PA system, big TV, theatre is stuff he's done before so that's the kinda area he will be doing).

The Rotterdam is having so much work done that they cannot stay on the ship, they are staying in a hotel which has WiFi so he's been able to keep in touch briefly. Not sure what will happen if he moves to the Emerald, guessing he will be able to stay on that and therefore will probably not have internet.

However, general gist of what I'm saying is if I find out anything....I'll let you know! :D

Wow, this is great inside information! Thanks so much and please do keep us posted. :)

Archived