Is it best to get New Zealand dollars before sailing or onboard?

mrssoexcited

Hi,

Definately get it before you go. We got ours last week from a bank. Also a good idea if you have a debit card to organise 'possible' use of it whilst over there. The fees with debit cards with our bank are AU$8 whenever you use it in NZ, plus this $8 covers all amounts. So, if we run out of the cash we bought with us, then we will just get more over there in one hit.

Jen

We got ourselves a Wizard mastercard to use overseas. We load it up with credit before we go and then use any ATM that accepts mastercards to withdraw cash. They have no fees or hidden charges. It is a fee free card. Also doesn't charge a conversion fee either, except I believe the 1% mastercard fee is incorporated in the conversion, it certainly doesn't show as a fee. I bought something the other day from the US and I got an actual exchange rate of 92.38! The only disadvantage is/may be that the exhcange rate whilst on hols is not as good before you leave.

I agree too that you will get a better exchange rate if you purchase the currency before your cruise.

If you find that you run out of local currency, you can always use the onboard currency exchange service as a backup.

Just to let you know that if you would like to exchange currency at a bank beofre your holiday, you may need to order it in advance, so best to speak to your bank a few weeks before.

using the XE.com site $100 AUD is $126 NZD and when you sell back

$100 NZD is $79 AUD so you gain going over and lose coming back.....is that right

I don't think you lose that much coming back because you are comparing $100 AUD to NZD which is $126 NZD. But if you were to bring back that full amount of NZD which is $126, then it converts back to $100 AUD.

You will generally lose a bit of money every time you exchange but shouldn't be much.

$100 AUD = $126 NZD / $126 NZD = $100 AUD (today as per XE).

Australians get more for their dollar in New Zealand, but unfortunately New Zealand doesn't convert as well into Australian Dollars.

Those general figures are correct, but just be aware that the mid-rates you see on the news and you have quoted are not the same as will apply when you try to buy/sell currency as the bank has holding costs, plus costs for the transaction.

Thus, there will usually be a few per cent difference each way so in the above example you may wind up with $122 NZD on purchase and then get back around $77. There may also be transaction fees involved with minimums for cash e.g. an additional $4-8 fee on each of the above transactions.

Those general figures are correct, but just be aware that the mid-rates you see on the news and you have quoted are not the same as will apply when you try to buy/sell currency as the bank has holding costs, plus costs for the transaction.

Thus, there will usually be a few per cent difference each way so in the above example you may wind up with $122 NZD on purchase and then get back around $77. There may also be transaction fees involved with minimums for cash e.g. an additional $4-8 fee on each of the above transactions.

Sorry just trying to get my hear around these figures!

You mentioned get back around $77.00. I assume you mean this as AUD? If so, how much NZD would get you back around $77.00?

If you had around $122 NZD, I assume this would get you atleast $90 AUD back. ($122 NZD approx around $100AUD, and allowing up to $10.00 for conversion & bank fees)

And just to add, I got some NZ dollars the other day, what really pretty notes they have :)

Wait til you see the coins - they're like play money - no 5c pieces... the 10 cent piece is bronze and the size of our 5c, the 20c is the size of our 10, the 50 the size of our 20... And more confusing for us Aussies - the $1 coin is the same size as our $2 coin and the $2 the same size as our $1.

Don't bother taking any of the old NZ coins that were the same size as ours (20s, 10s and 5s) they're no longer legal tender over there.

Archived