Odd baggage allowance question for UA fliers?

YXU AC*SE

We will be flying on a mixed carrier (*A reward ticket) itinerary to Hong Kong in three weeks time to catch our cruise.

I am AC*SE (eg *AG) so I am clear on my baggage allowance (piece concept x3 max 32kg / 70lbs). DSO (sadly) does not hold status with Star Alliance.

Our routing is YXU - ORD in Y (OO); ORD - ZRH in F (LX); ZRH - IST in C (LX) stop IST - HKG in F (TK).

Under the UA's revised international luggage allowance rules -- will they recognize the itinerary as F, even if the F leg is being flown on LX metal, and ergo, F luggage allowance applies? Or would their economy allowance apply because I am not continuing on in UA First?

Given that we stop in IST for two days, our TK flight I assume will be weight versus piece concept.

Of course when I call either AC or UA, l get a different answer each time :-) Gotta love consistent inconsistency.

Scott.

Are you asking if you will have your free F bag allowance (for DSO because you have it because of status) on the Skywest leg because it's not in F?

You used enough miles for an F ticket for your entire flight, but there isn't F on this YXU-ORD leg is there? I am guessing that because this is booked on one ticket, and you can't book F on the first leg because it isn't available, but you certainly paid the miles for it, that you should receive the F baggage allowance for all the legs of this trip.

I understand why AC couldn't answer this, and am not surprised that UA couldn't either.

Is this what you were asking?

Hello 6rugrats. You are correct in your assumptions. First leg is single class of service (Y) only on a Skywest barbie jet (CRJ). YXU ORD ZRH IST leg is booked on a single ticket.

UA's policy is here: http://www.united.ca/core/english/SI/baggage/checkedbaggage/other_checked.html#international

http://www.united.ca/core/english/SI/baggage/oversized/other_oversized.html

The policy example sets out that if I were continuing on UA in first, DSO would be entitled to 2 bags at 32kg / 70 pounds. We're not ... we're on on SWISS instead in F/C (although the remainder of our flights are code shared with UA through to IST.)

Here is the confusion point. When I call to UA the answer I get is either (a) it's an F itin on a single ticket, so you get the additional allowance at origin or (b) you are not continuing overseas on UA, so you are only entitled to economy allowance and we will collect additional fees at the airport based upon your final destination.

As you can see the difference between one free checked bag at 50lbs versus two at 70lbs when you are gone for three-and-a-half weeks is significant. :) As are the over weight / extra piece fees.

Scott.

I believe you should receive the F bag allowance, but I'm not the person working the check-in counter! I don't know a specific policy to cite for you. Suggest you post your question on FlyerTalk on the UA forum and perhaps one of the experts there can point you to a specific policy so you can print it out and take it to the airport if there are any problems.

Your baggage allowance is free anyway. If you can't get specific policy and you run into problems at YXU, and you want to avoid baggage fees on this leg, check your bags and you each take one of your DSO's to the gate. Then gate check them. No fee for those! Should be no problem once you reach ORD and you can check those two bags in with LX.

I took your advice, sort of -- when in doubt, go to the check-in counter, as that is where the moment of truth will be. :) YXU is a small enough station that I was able to swing by over lunch. This ORD flight is new for YXU (and check-in is handled by QK - Air Canada Jazz) so after a bit of online research, a call to a help desk, and a subsequent conversation with a manager, a check-in agent was able to determine that the 2pc at 32kg will apply (yay!) for DSO. To cover my butt, I had him note the PNR as well so there are no surprises.

Scott.

Archived