Beagle Channel excursion: worthwhile?

shorefolks

Is this excursion a good option for the stop in Ushuaia? From the Princess description, I am concerned that it just duplicates the path that the ship takes through the channel.

If it is worthwhile to take in a smaller vessel, can this easily be arranged dockside at, I assume, a lower price?

Thanks for your help.

Is this excursion a good option for the stop in Ushuaia? From the Princess description, I am concerned that it just duplicates the path that the ship takes through the channel.

If it is worthwhile to take in a smaller vessel, can this easily be arranged dockside at, I assume, a lower price?

Thanks for your help.

ABSOLUTELY worth it. Yes, the ship passes through the same area but you certainly don't get as close to the cormorants and the sea lions as you do on one of the tour boats. The small boats practically beach on the little islands so that you can see the wildlife.

Booking a tour on the dock is a breeze. In fact, a group of us from our Cruise Critic roll call got together so that we could get a group rate and then went to the ticket booths that morning to see which company would offer us the best deal. We ended up on the Barracuda and had a wonderful morning. Not only did we see the local wildlife but we were also able to see glaciers in the distance.

We purposely did not book in advance so we would have a chance to look at the weather on the channel before we set sail. The channel was like glass and the sky was clear. It was a perfect morning.

The highlight of the tour was watching a 2 ton sea lion with no hands or feet haul itself out of the water and up a near vertical wall of rock to join his mate who was sunning herself on a ledge.

Check out my Ushuaia pix here.

It is a nice tour to take and it will not duplicate what you will see. Aftewards, you can walk around the town for a while.

You can either book this through the cruise line where you will be together with all of your fellow passengers who booked this or book it when you arrive. There is always the chance though that it will be sold out when yoo want to go if you do it on your own.

Keith

While I enjoyed this tour I wish that I had taken a tour into the interior. We did see lots of wildlife up close but the route is exactly the same as the ship sails. On my next trip down in March 2010 I'm taking a tour into the National Park, the surrounding scenery looks great. If wildlife is your priority this is a nice tour, I'd just rather see more of the countryside myself.

While I enjoyed this tour I wish that I had taken a tour into the interior. We did see lots of wildlife up close but the route is exactly the same as the ship sails. On my next trip down in March 2010 I'm taking a tour into the National Park, the surrounding scenery looks great. If wildlife is your priority this is a nice tour, I'd just rather see more of the countryside myself.

I fully understand the conflict you describe. Wildlife is a priority for us, but we also wish to see more of the various areas than the cruise ship's abbreviated schedule will allow. We had the same dilemma in planning the Falkland Islands stop. I think this trip we will try to book the Channel excursion dockside (depending on weather) and then look to a future Argentina-Chile cruise for an interior excursion. Thanks for your help.

I fully understand the conflict you describe. Wildlife is a priority for us, but we also wish to see more of the various areas than the cruise ship's abbreviated schedule will allow. We had the same dilemma in planning the Falkland Islands stop. I think this trip we will try to book the Channel excursion dockside (depending on weather) and then look to a future Argentina-Chile cruise for an interior excursion. Thanks for your help.

For the Falklands book the Penguin excursion with Patrick Watts as your first choice. You'll see a fair bit of the island and the penguins are fantastic. Town of Stanely is pretty small and if you don't have time after the tour don't think you'll really miss much. Patrick tour is Highly recommended. :)

For the Falklands book the Penguin excursion with Patrick Watts as your first choice. You'll see a fair bit of the island and the penguins are fantastic. Town of Stanely is pretty small and if you don't have time after the tour don't think you'll really miss much. Patrick tour is Highly recommended. :)

Thanks. Will do.

Archived