Disembarking before final port

mimigirl54

• 2 weeks later...
This last August we took a 26 day Baltic/Transatlantic cruise which was to terminate in NYC. As we approached Halifax, Nova Scotia, we decided that we could rent a car and be home in four hours, as opposed to continuing on to NYC where we would then have to fly to Toronto, spend the night and then fly home to Saint John.

We asked at the front desk if we could do this and it was no problem. We had to sign a form which stated we would not seek compensation from HAL for the uncompleted portion of the cruise and were told to present ourselves to Canadian immigration in the Hudson Room with our luggage shortly after we docked. When we got there we saw that about 40 other people had the same idea. HAL was very helpful with regard to getting our luggage to the curb, where the rental company picked us up.

However, I might add that we were not being transported from one US port to another, so that may have some bearing on our being allowed to leave.

Similar situation here. Am booked on the 9/11 7 day Alaska on the

Rotterdam out of SEA but planning on leaving the ship at it's last

port of call in Victoria, BC. My TA made the request to HAL; HAL issued

a letter of authorization ( also stipulating that there will be no credit

given for the shorter cruise segment), and to check with the front

desk once on-board to make these arrangement known in person prior

to disembarkation so that they can make the proper Customs

arrangements with Canadian officials.

HAL did indicate that there is a limit to how many guests can disembark

early. Depending on the cruise and where the guest may wish to disembark

I imagine that this stipulation has to do with the availabilty of customs

clearence personnel.

Have never requested early disembarkation before in a foreign port so

we'll see how it goes. I'll definitely have the authorization letter on my

person...just in case!

I'm glad that this situation has been solved. Now I want to go back to something that was posted a bit earlier:

However, if you only stop at ports in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, or Mexico, those are not considered distant foreign ports, and you will either be prevented from getting off at Port Angeles or fined for doing so. (I think the fine is like $300 pp.)

While not considered a "distant" foreign port by the strict lettering of the law in question, apparently it is considered such for Hawaii cruises, which are San Diego - Hawaii - Ensenada Mexico - San Diego. In other words ... it all depends upon interpretation.

I sure wish they'd trash that law. It serves no purpose but to make life difficult for law abiding citizens and foreign flagged cruise lines.

While not considered a "distant" foreign port by the strict lettering of the law in question, apparently it is considered such for Hawaii cruises, which are San Diego - Hawaii - Ensenada Mexico - San Diego. In other words ... it all depends upon interpretation.

The Hawaii cruise requires only a near foreign port, as it begins and ends in the same US port.

Ensenada, Mexico qualifies as a near foreign port.

Happy day, happy day! I just received an email from our on-line booking agent telling us our request to disembark in Port Angeles has been approved by HAL!!!!! I'm a very happy camper.....er, sailor, I mean. :D

YAY!! I'm delighted for you. Now you can enjoy every second of your cruise.:)

The Hawaii cruise requires only a near foreign port, as it begins and ends in the same US port.

Ensenada, Mexico qualifies as a near foreign port.

Ah, thank you dearest Ruth! That makes sense.

Of course ... every other port on that cruise is also a US port. :)

Archived