Disembarking before final port

mimigirl54

We are sailing on the Statendam this spring from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver, BC. We actually live in Port Angeles, Washington and the ship is stopping there the day before it docks in Vancouver. We are planning on disembarking in Port Angeles and are running into problems with HAL.

Has anyone out there ever disembarked early? We have already made arrangements with U.S. Customs to meet us and clear us upon arriving in P.A. Will we be held captive by HAL in our staterooms if we try to get off early? I'm too old to go to jail. :o

There may be a legal issue here because there is a US law concerning non-US flagged ships sailing from one US port and disembarking passengers in another US port. This has nothing to do with immigration or customs. For the same reason they can't sail from San Diego to Hawaii and return to San Diego without making a stop in a Mexican port, even if the stop is for only thirty minutes.

I'm not sure if this is what is causing your problem, but it could be.

IF your ship stops in Cartagena before going through the Panama Canal, that should satisfy the "distant foreign port" requirement of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and you shouldn't be fined for getting off in any US port. We stopped at Cartegena, and therefore got off at Los Angeles with no problem.

However, if you only stop at ports in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, or Mexico, those are not considered distant foreign ports, and you will either be prevented from getting off at Port Angeles or fined for doing so. (I think the fine is like $300 pp.)

EDIT: I just looked at your intinerary, and saw that you are stopping at Aruba. I think that also qualifies as a distant foreign port (if it is considered part of South America) and should enable you to get off in WA. I'll look further.

IF your ship stops in Cartagena before going through the Panama Canal, that should satisfy the "distant foreign port" requirement of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and you shouldn't be fined for getting off in any US port. We stopped at Cartegena, and therefore got off at Los Angeles with no problem.

However, if you only stop at ports in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, or Mexico, those are not considered distant foreign ports, and you will either be prevented from getting off at Port Angeles or fined for doing so. (I think the fine is like $300 pp. Maybe $200.)

EDIT: I just looked at your intinerary, and saw that you are stopping at Aruba. I think that also qualifies as a distant foreign port (if it is considered part of South America) and should enable you to get off in WA. I'll look further.

So who fines you? HAL or the government? When I asked (on one of my MANY phone calls to HAL) what would happen if we just got off, the agent put me on hold, talked to the mysterious upper management person, then came back on and laughingly said, "I don't know! We've never had anyone do that."

Since the ship stops in San Diego and many of the passengers disembark there, doesn't that say something about traveling from one US port to another? Why could they get off in San Diego and not in Port Angeles?

Okay, since your cruise can be booked as a 17-day, getting off in San Diego, Aruba must qualify as a distant foreign port. If you can get off in S.D., you should be able to get off in WA as far as the PVSA is concerned. Now, HAL may have reasons other than the PVSA for not wanting to let you off in WA.

HAL fines PVSA violaters on behalf of the US government. Or maybe the government actually fines HAL, and HAL recovers that money from you. I'm not sure.

Okay, since your cruise can be booked as a 17-day, getting off in San Diego, Aruba must qualify as a distant foreign port. If you can get off in S.D., you should be able to get off in WA as far as the PVSA is concerned. Now, HAL may have reasons other than the PVSA for not wanting to let you off in WA.

HAL actually fines you on behalf of the US government. Or maybe the government actually fines HAL, and HAL recovers that money from you.

These (very quick) replies have been a lot of help. I think HAL's main problem is that they don't get requests like these and they just don't want to be bothered. As far as I can tell, all they're going to have to do is "check us out" at the main desk when we get off. My husband worked for US Customs in Port Angeles for nearly 20 years. He has talked to the agents here and they said to just call them a couple hours before we disembark and they'll come clear us. (They're going to call HAL for us...we'll see what happens.)

The REALLY frustrating part about this is that I called HAL BEFORE booking the cruise, asked if we could get off in P.A., was put on hold, agent came back and said, "sure, no problem, just let us know in advance". Then AFTER booking everyone said uh uh, no way, not happening. With no real reason. (I feel a revolution brewing.......):cool:

The REALLY frustrating part about this is that I called HAL BEFORE booking the cruise, asked if we could get off in P.A., was put on hold, agent came back and said, "sure, no problem, just let us know in advance". Then AFTER booking everyone said uh uh, no way, not happening. With no real reason. (I feel a revolution brewing.......):cool:
Unfortunately, getting contradictory answers from HAL on different days, or even different hours of the same day, happens all too often. I think you're right that they think they have to do something special for you. Stick to your guns! :D

If the ship stops in San Diego you will already have cleared customs there won't you?

I don't know. Since we're not disembarking there I don't know if everyone goes through customs at that point or if the passengers continuing to Vancouver go through Canadian customs and then though US customs wherever they make their entry. Too bad all this stuff has to be so dang complicated!

I don't know. Since we're not disembarking there I don't know if everyone goes through customs at that point or if the passengers continuing to Vancouver go through Canadian customs and then though US customs wherever they make their entry. Too bad all this stuff has to be so dang complicated!
I think ldog is right. When we got off in L.A., everyone (including Canadians) had to pass a US CBP check that morning because it was the first US port after several foreign ports. If that's the case, Port Angeles authorities may have to do nothing for you.

This last August we took a 26 day Baltic/Transatlantic cruise which was to terminate in NYC. As we approached Halifax, Nova Scotia, we decided that we could rent a car and be home in four hours, as opposed to continuing on to NYC where we would then have to fly to Toronto, spend the night and then fly home to Saint John.

We asked at the front desk if we could do this and it was no problem. We had to sign a form which stated we would not seek compensation from HAL for the uncompleted portion of the cruise and were told to present ourselves to Canadian immigration in the Hudson Room with our luggage shortly after we docked. When we got there we saw that about 40 other people had the same idea. HAL was very helpful with regard to getting our luggage to the curb, where the rental company picked us up.

However, I might add that we were not being transported from one US port to another, so that may have some bearing on our being allowed to leave.

We just disembarked our 19day Panama Canal cruise in Cabo San Lucas - and let the Oosterdam continue on her way to San Diego.

9 other passengers disembarked with us (although we had to go at different times, since it was a tender port, and we couldn't go until immigration cleared our passports after noon or so), so it isn't an unusual thing to do. We even had our own porter to take ou r luggage right from the tender to our rental car. (Try THAT on disembarkation day!) The problem is that you're going from US port to US port, before they're leaving the country. They can be fined $300 per person for that.

HOWEVER - the cruise line cannot hold you hostage. You *can* leave the ship at any time once you are aboard. Imagine what would happen if you fell ill and they wouldn't let you leave the ship until you left the country?

Board the ship, and the night before you get to your port, inform them that you are planning to leave. That will give them time to have a customs agent meet you at the port when they arrive, and have you fill out the proper paperwork.

I don't know if I fully understand the Passenger Services Act since it doesn't always read so clearly but because they are sailing from San Diego to Port Angeles with no foreign stop in between, doesn't that violate this act? I would think it would since they are not suppose to transport passengers between 2 different US ports without a distant foreign stop in between.

I don't know if I fully understand the Passenger Services Act since it doesn't always read so clearly but because they are sailing from San Diego to Port Angeles with no foreign stop in between, doesn't that violate this act?
The problem is that you're going from US port to US port, before they're leaving the country. They can be fined $300 per person for that.
You're both right ... San Diego to Port Angeles would be a PVSA violation! :o:o So, mimigirl54, are you willing to risk a $300 pp fine?

You're both right ... San Diego to Port Angeles would be a PVSA violation! :o:o So, mimigirl54, are you willing to risk a $300 pp fine?

Oh, oh. This may be where the "glitch" is coming from. I might be willing to take a chance on the fine just because it's so difficult to get from Vancouver to P.A. No planes, no trains, no buses and a rental car would probably be REALLY expensive with a drop fee outside of Canada. Plus it would be very sad to stand on the ship's deck and watch my beloved home town fading into the distance. :(

I wish I knew for sure who would file the claim. If it's customs I don't think our friends would do that! But if it's the IRS or TSB or Homeland Security or the FBI or CIA or some other nefarious source I'll be scared. Oh what to do, what to do.

Oh, oh. This may be where the "glitch" is coming from.

I wish I knew for sure who would file the claim. If it's customs I don't think our friends would do that! But if it's the IRS or TSB or Homeland Security or the FBI or CIA or some other nefarious source I'll be scared. Oh what to do, what to do.

On the other hand, you're not getting on in San Diego ... so maybe the PVSA doesn't apply to you after all. :confused::confused:
Can your DH's friends clarify whether the PVSA applies to someone stopping at but not initially embarking in San Diego?

Just out of curiosity, how would a ship the size of the Statendam go from Port Angeles to Vancouver? Is the channel on the east side of San Juan Island wide enough and deep enough, or would it have to go back out to sea and all the long way around Vancouver Island? Thanks! :)

Just out of curiosity, how would a ship the size of the Statendam go from Port Angeles to Vancouver? Is the channel on the east side of San Juan Island wide enough and deep enough, or would it have to go back out to sea and all the long way around Vancouver Island? Thanks! :)

It will travel through the Strait of Georgia (east side) to Vancouver. That's probably the same route the large state ferrys take from Vancouver to Victoria. That body of water is a lot larger than one would think!

On a Celebrity cruise starting in Vancouver, traveling to Alaska and ending in San Diego, my husband got off in San Francisco after the ship had made a stop in Seattle which should be similar to your cruise. Celebrity had no problem with it. The difference here is that we started in a foreign port. However, you will be stopping at that distant foreign port so it should be OK. Many Panama canal cruises that are repositioning allow passengers to get off at various ports on the west coast. We are booked on a Panama Canal cruise in 2011 that starts in Ft. Lauderdale and ends in Seattle with some people getting off in San Diego.

Archived