Danger in Nassau

ERsecurity

I see. But that's now how your post came out. You said you were approached to buy drugs and now you won't go back again. Posts like this just add fuel to the fire, and contribute to how this Nassau business is getting out of hand.

And your criticism of me is :confused:

I was merely relating my experience in Nassau and that it was sad what is happening as we enjoyed the day there.

Even if Nassau was crime free I would not be returning anytime soon.

I work in Philly and if being solicited for spare change or worse was my benchmark for not returning I would have quit long ago.

I think that it is good to be informed of what is going on at different ports of call. If this news wasn't reported on Cruise Critic I would not have know of the rise in crime in the port of Nassau, especially since the crimes seem to be focused on areas that tourist frequent.

I know that crime can happen anywhere, but usually tourist areas are "safer" which is why when traveling they always advise you to "stay in the tourist areas".

On a personal note, my cruise is in Jan and one of the ports is Nassau, we had already decided not to get off the ship b/c we were just going to go to the beach. This information just reinforces my decision, I don't want to be relaxing on the beach and be robbed.

I have been to Nassau a couple times, including this past summer on a Disney cruise with my kids. We went to Atlantis for the day. The resort was beautiful but the people were surly and unhelpful. They were the unfriendliest and least welcoming bunch of people I have ever met. They seemed to be seething with anger at us tourists who were visiting their island. I dont understand why they would be hostile toward people that support their economy with much needed dollars. But thats fine because I wont be back anytime soon as there are plenty of other places we can go where the people there are glad to have us.

I recently came back from Thanksgiving cruise on Carnival Pride to the Bahamas and although we take precautions of safety when traveling, I am disappointed with Carnival that they did not bring up the armed robberies recently for those of us that hadn't heard. They should have brought it up at the Ports of Call show they had going in the Taj Mahal, but I guess they were too busy "selling" their excursions. The weren't just random acts of violence, they were on "cruisers" going on a ship's excursions.

This will just add to the list of reasons I probably won't sail Carnival again and try another cruiseline.

For the record, I wouldn't walk the streets alone in the Bahamas without my boyfriend and I'm from Baltimore-and didn't notice an increase of police and military presence like others reported.

Thanks for the information. I will avoid cruises there. Why even put yourself in danger when there are vicious wild animals wanting to rob and possibly harm visitors.

Oh please, get a grip - your statement is like me writing that I will avoid St. Louis because of all the crime THERE.

I'll never visit St. Louis when there are killings every week!! Why even put yourself in danger when there are vicious wild animals wanting to rob and possibly harm visitors.

See how stupid that sounds??

My husband and I just returned from a 9 day cruise to the Bahamas on Celebrity Mercury. :) (fantastic staff!) Anyway, we spent one port day in Nassau. There were three other ships docked, so it was wall to wall people. We had planned to walk to the tower and stairs, but thought we best ask a local person if it would be safe. We asked a very nice salesperson at one of the name brand jewelery stores for advice. She seemed a bit guarded as she thought about our question. She then shook her head and said she felt it was no longer safe to walk to that tourist site. We took her advice and went back to the ship after walking up and down the main street. We're wondering if there is a greater safety issue now that was not present before. She really seemed sad to have to recommend against walking there. We try to be street-smart wherever we go, but we're not going against the advice of a reputable local person.

Good grief!

Lived in Chicago for ten years and in that time was solicited for money, sex, drugs, you name it on an almost daily basis. I saw people urinate in the street in broad daylight. Crime? Are you kidding? More than you can imagine.

Yet somehow, I survived.

Oh please, get a grip - your statement is like me writing that I will avoid St. Louis because of all the crime THERE.

I'll never visit St. Louis when there are killings every week!! Why even put yourself in danger when there are vicious wild animals wanting to rob and possibly harm visitors.

See how stupid that sounds??

Are criminals specifically targeting cruise ship tourists in St Louis like what is happening now in Nassau? Are the workers at hotels, restaraunts, attractions in St Louis resentful and unwelcoming to tourists who come to spend money there? Go read the boards that are dedicated to residents of the Bahama's and notice all the hatred and racism towards white tourists. I dont see that on local St Louis message boards. No thanks Nassau!

another couple armed robberies and one of them is at Long Wharf Beach in the daytime with 2 men armed with knives and the victim was stabbed with a knife. The beach at Western Esplanade is just a few minutes from the cruise ship docks.

Two more armed robberies reported

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/national_local/296028221365602.php

Yeah, but I was there 6 months ago, and never felt unsafe. :rolleyes:

Random crime is one thing. But these guys are specifically targeting tourists. If the tourists that know about the recent crime wave just blow it off, I say good luck.

I'm picturing Penguins crowding together on an ice floe. They squeeze together until one poor animal falls into the sea. If he gets eaten by a shark, then the rest of the pack knows it's too dangerous to go in the water.

I used to visit The Bahamas frequently for business and as a tourist. It is a wonderful island nation with very nice people and many wonderful areas to visit. Unfortunately I never thought that Nassau proper was one of them. As many posters have pointed out, it is like any other city with its share of crime and petty street solicitors.

One important thing to remember is that tourists arriving by ship or air are always unarmed due to the travel security measures. The bad guys know this and do target tourists, who are also likely to be carrying valuable cameras, cash, credit cards, passports, etc. This targeting has been going on for many years in most tourist cities around the world. I recall when the rental car pick up areas near the Miami airport were being watched by robbers who would stage minor accidents with visitors to get them to stop so they could be robbed.

My point is that, yes, there are problems in Nassau, like many other tourist areas, so you should always take reasonable and sensible precautions. No place is completely safe and no cruise line, tour operator or state dept. warning can make it so.

I used to visit The Bahamas frequently for business and as a tourist. It is a wonderful island nation with very nice people and many wonderful areas to visit. Unfortunately I never thought that Nassau proper was one of them. As many posters have pointed out, it is like any other city with its share of crime and petty street solicitors.

My advice to readers is: understand that people who post things like above....have a MOTIVE to keep you thinking that tourist places in Caribbean are exactly like ANY city ANYwhere.

We cruise every year to Caribbean and visit islands......but know to look over shoulder and plan carefully. Why ? Because the Caribbean islands have crime rates MANY times more serious than nearly ALL other world destinations. Knowing that is important. Acting accordingly is important.

Don't foolishly think that "oh, just like any area in USA, etc.

It's not.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/healthandsafety/a/CaribCrimeStats.htm

I have said this many times and it' worth saying again...

The BAHAMAS is NOT DISNEYWORLD!!!!!!!! It is another COUNTRY!!!!!

Remember that, plus again! YOU are not in the US and it is not a ride at an amusement park....

I have had nothing but fun in both Nassau and GBI. I never go into bad areas.

I have said this many times and it' worth saying again...

The BAHAMAS is NOT DISNEYWORLD!!!!!!!! It is another COUNTRY!!!!!

Remember that, plus again! YOU are not in the US and it is not a ride at an amusement park....

I have had nothing but fun in both Nassau and GBI. I never go into bad areas.

Hi Bob,

Good advice, but what I think a lot of folks are ignoring is that at this point in time, serious crime seems to be happening everywhere tourists go in Nassau, not just "bad areas." I have no doubt the locals will tamp it back down again. But for now?

Hi Bob,

Good advice, but what I think a lot of folks are ignoring is that at this point in time, serious crime seems to be happening everywhere tourists go in Nassau, not just "bad areas." I have no doubt the locals will tamp it back down again. But for now?

I do understand...

Sadly there has been several "newsworthy" incidents lately.

Crime happens all the time, just not to tourists... when it does it gets noticed. When I stated "bad areas" I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I stay away from "blighted area" or places that crime has happened recently, or most importantly - lightly traveled areas. I mean it could be filled with tourists at noon but at 6pm it looks deserted... not going that way. I rarely walk very far from port area - I will take a cab anywhere. I rely on the kindness of locals that will always go out of the way to help IF you act humble and realize you are in their country. I have made friends in both Nassau and GBI and will let them know I am coming or call when I arrive.

I do understand...

Sadly there has been several "newsworthy" incidents lately.

Crime happens all the time, just not to tourists... when it does it gets noticed. When I stated "bad areas" I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I stay away from "blighted area" or places that crime has happened recently, or most importantly - lightly traveled areas. I mean it could be filled with tourists at noon but at 6pm it looks deserted... not going that way. I rarely walk very far from port area - I will take a cab anywhere. I rely on the kindness of locals that will always go out of the way to help IF you act humble and realize you are in their country. I have made friends in both Nassau and GBI and will let them know I am coming or call when I arrive.

As much as I hate to admit it.. crime IS getting out of hand in Nassau.

Even Atlantis, which is considered safe, is having it's problems with a shooting in Marina Village, robberies at the marina and now a stabbing at Club Aura (a guest stabbed a local after an altercation.) It's crazy.

The Police and government are stepping up, but how quickly we can get this under control is anyones guess.

I still think that downtown Nassau, Paradise isalnd and 99% of the tours are safe. But I never understood why they would have the Seqway tour .. at all. Nothing of interest and far too remote.

I've mentioned over and over again.. don't use off the beaten path beaches, stay in the tourist areas, use hotel day passes for beach access etc. There's a reason for my posts.. because more and more bad things are happening.. not just in the bahamas, but in other destinations as well.

Your advice to trust the locals for advice is a good one. They will point you in the right direction and steer you away from harm.

As for the comment about cranky employees at Atlantis.. don't take it personally. It's not the tourists they are PO'ed at.. it's more likely their management. And they haven't been trained to smile thru adversity.

Generally speaking, Bahamians are a very friendly people and will go out of their way to make you happy.

I did get off the ship in Nassau, took a land taxi to the boat ride pick up for dolphin island. My friend did the dolphin swim & I did the dolphin encounter.

The taxi driver was very friendly, kind, courteous and wealth of knowledge.

Got a very hostile vibe off some of the staff at the dolphin excursion. The trainer who worked with the group I was in was in would not even smile or return a greeting to me after the session was over - friendly trying to give the group the upsell to the dolphin swim but if you don't go for the extra charges or pics the real face would show. Others there were friendly and seemed more like "people" persons. The dolphin was sweet though. :D

Getting back to the ship afterwards was slightly more creepy. It wasn't late in the day, I headed back on my own because the friend I went with wanted to see Atlantis, and I had had enough of the whole atmosphere. I could not find any driver wearing the lanyards with the license / picture thing. There was a guy working the booth, very aggressive and in my face, glaring and rude demeanor when I was not eager to jump in a taxi I wasn't sure was a taxi, but he did point me in the direction to the water taxis & gave me info on costs, etc. Just did not give a great impression, no uniform or ID and hiding a bottle of beer behind his back as he went about his work of lining up tourists for the taxis. Serious, wish I had got a picture of it to post.

All in all, I don't especially wish to return to Nassau. It isn't that I want a sanitized port day with no local culture, and I'm not bothered by aggressive street vendors. I loved Jamaica when I went (granted it was a decade ago) and never got that hostile vibe off anyone I crossed paths with.

Archived