Got one of 'THOSE' questions??

*Mach*

In a recent review of their Conquest cruise, the OP highlighted something we experienced also:

As the OP said, their wait wasn't that long, so it was really NBD - however, sometimes (as you know) the wait is significant - standing outside on the loading dock, in the sun/wind/FOG, etc.

Is this typical protocol for the Galveston pier agents handling of VIP's, or is it more the physical layout of the facility that prevents a true VIP line?

Maybe, with the pier modifications for the Magic, some consideration can be made.

Thanks for your input.

Ken

Hi, Ken.

Having sailed from Galveston many times I can tell you that what the poster experienced is absolutely normal. It really is a physical limitaton of the facility. Everyone files into the building, up the same escalators as there's only the one and into a large waiting area where folk queue up. It's there where VIPs are separated and directed to the VIP security area. It's fast and painless.

The only time that I've experienced a delay outside is when I've gotten there excessively early and had to wait for the check in area to open. Many, if not most, of the shore side agents do double duty... both debark and embark. They need to have time to finish their duties down on the lower level and move back upstairs to take care of the new passengers arriving.

Really, I don't see a problem with the system and I doubt that any significant changes will be made to accommodate the Magic... more agents, to be sure. The two per cabin occupancy for the Conquest is 2974 and the Magic is 3690, less than 900 total. It shouldn't require a huge amount of change.

I do know that a new passenger gangway will be constructed to be able to manage the increased size of the ship and location of the embarkation station on the ship.

On my last cruise from Galveston I was a bit saddened to see that they have eliminated the roped off VIP area but not much...

:)

In a recent review of their Conquest cruise, the OP highlighted something we experienced also:

As the OP said, their wait wasn't that long, so it was really NBD - however, sometimes (as you know) the wait is significant - standing outside on the loading dock, in the sun/wind/FOG, etc.

Is this typical protocol for the Galveston pier agents handling of VIP's, or is it more the physical layout of the facility that prevents a true VIP line?

Maybe, with the pier modifications for the Magic, some consideration can be made.

Thanks for your input.

Ken

When we sailed out of Port Canaveral it was the same thing. We had to go through the screening to get into the building first. They did attempt to keep the lines separate and had a rope barrier that they sent the VIP people to the left and the others to the right. People did not listen, and were quite rude. They merely ducked under the rope in groups and refused to move out of the line. The employee did try but everyone who was in a group of 4 or more, pushed their way into the VIP side. They would have done better with a hallway instead of just a rope. Moving the line forward was the only way to even keep the masses moving. Once we passed the security checkpoint, they sent us to a completely different area where there was just a doorway and three people standing there to get to the VIP area. Sometimes the same thing happens with tenders. There is just so much 1 or 2 employees can do to prevent people who don't believe the rules apply to them, and push their way into an area. When it is one or two people it can be handled, but so many travel in family/friend groups with many people and there is nothing 1 or 2 employees can safely do to stop it.

Hi, Lori and thanks for the kind words.

Carnival has a very limited number of print brochures still in existence but none of them, sadly, deal specifically with the ships. Here's a link to what's available:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/brochure.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_111

I'll be glad to email one of my friends at Carnival and see if there are any print flyers still available about the vessels. I'll get back here to let you know what I find out.

Mach thank you that would be greatly appreciated.

Also do you have any guess as to when the schedules for December 2012 will be available? We are now looking at an "End of the World" cruise as well as our "Rescue Cruise" celebrating 100th anniversary of the Carpathia's famous rescue. *Interesting note if the Carpathia was in operation today it would be owned by Carnival. :) Two reasons to lift up those Moet Chandon White Star flutes.

Thanks again,

Lori

Mach thank you that would be greatly appreciated.

Also do you have any guess as to when the schedules for December 2012 will be available? We are now looking at an "End of the World" cruise as well as our "Rescue Cruise" celebrating 100th anniversary of the Carpathia's famous rescue. *Interesting note if the Carpathia was in operation today it would be owned by Carnival. :) Two reasons to lift up those Moet Chandon White Star flutes.

Thanks again,

Lori

Hi, Lori!

I asked the folks at Carnival about the brochures and posted a reply here some time ago. They are not making any print brochures for the Magic and the ones that they had for the Dream were so outdated and inaccurate as to be useless.

Expect to see the 2012 schedules for the entire fleet next April. Some may well appear earlier but that's the target date for getting them all done.

• 4 weeks later...
This is an awesome thread. When I have a question, I look through here first. Even with 31 pages, it usually saves me time when the search function is unavailable for me.

Thanks Mach!

You're very welcome.

It was intended to keep rumors from running wild, like the iced tea thing. It worked pretty well...

Will there be a new ship in Baltimore? (I read that here as reported by somone who heard it from Kirk - the CD...)

Rumors like these abound... I've been told in the past that Carnival wants to base five ships in Texas. What we got was the Carnival Magic (thank you, Carnival!) and the Triumph in exchange for the Conquest and the Ecstasy both which will be going to NOLA.

As there are a limited number of ships (23...) putting an additional ship in Baltimore would require moving it from another port. I don't find this likely as Carnival's experience with the weather last winter in Baltimore was less than exciting and the ports one can reach from there in a week or less are very limited...

Rumors like these abound... I've been told in the past that Carnival wants to base five ships in Texas. What we got was the Carnival Magic (thank you, Carnival!) and the Triumph in exchange for the Conquest and the Ecstasy both which will be going to NOLA.

As there are a limited number of ships (23...) putting an additional ship in Baltimore would require moving it from another port. I don't find this likely as Carnival's experience with the weather last winter in Baltimore was less than exciting and the ports one can reach from there in a week or less are very limited...

Sometimes I think the CD's have a little too much to drink and ramble on these rumors, just to keep people talking about them.:cool:

Will they have longer cruises out of Baltimore? I'd like to go beyond the Bahamas... (But I want the convenience of driving @ 1 hour to the terminal as well.)

That's a possibility.

Use your comment cards to indicate that you would like to see longer cruises...

Any new word on the Vacation Interchange Program? (VIP). Sure would be nice if we got VIP status on other ships in the Carnival Corp.

Also , we talked to the Guest Administration Office about the Shareholder OBC and they told us it was NOT combinable with any other OBC of any kind. I could not use it with any FCC OBC we already have scheduled or with the 25% Milestone that we're scheduled to get next year. Bummer.

Any new word on the Vacation Interchange Program? (VIP). Sure would be nice if we got VIP status on other ships in the Carnival Corp.

Also , we talked to the Guest Administration Office about the Shareholder OBC and they told us it was NOT combinable with any other OBC of any kind. I could not use it with any FCC OBC we already have scheduled or with the 25% Milestone that we're scheduled to get next year. Bummer.

Nope... no word yet...

Can someone help? I use an electric cart for mobility when aboard a ship. The cart barely clears a standard 21" door. Many of the “modified” rooms which have wider doors seem to be inside. I love balconies!

On the Ecstasy we had a balcony. I could (carefully) get the cart in the room but the room was so small that we could then not get around the bed. I think that I need a more rectangular room. I am now afraid of cabins that I don’t know about.

What about the Triumph? Anyone have experience with her? Also, the Magic. I have a list of modified rooms but don’t know enough about them to know where they are.

Thanks, Elizabeth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mach,

It looks like the C Magic will not have any quick CTN (Cruise to Nowhere) or such in the USA first, like we were all on with you on the C Dream and C Splendor (John has me brainwashed to use C in front of the ships lol!)

Do you think this will not happen the CTN thingy? Its usually for TAs or staff to familiarize themselves with the ship. I love the B2Bs with new ships.

TIA

Regards to you both, and thanks for what you do.

Cheers,

Geri

Archived