Carnival LEGEND at Mahogany Bay - Review LONG!

cruisetobeaches

Did Legend last May and Roatan was the best port the beach there by the ship was so much fun for a relaxing day and there is a reef right there to snorkel cant wait to go back on another cruise there as long as it does not stop in Cozumel lol

Looking at your pictures of prices; and looking at the price on the carnival website; Website price = $70 for 2 people. Including: lift, Clam shell, 2 floats and snorkle gear. Signs price(for 2) = Clam $20, Float $10, Snorkle $30, ski lift $10 Total = $70.

So, I'm assuming since pricing is the same that buying things off the ship would be better than buying ahead of time?

That way my family of 5 can share 1 clam shell?

Also, we can sort of Ala cart the gear and snorkle gear as needed.

SO excited to see this. We will be there in a few weeks and my husband is scuba diving in Roatan, leaving me with our 4 year old son. I was concerned about figuring out what to do on our own that would be safe, cheap, and easy. This is perfect. More than perfect. I am so excited now!!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for the review. We will be on Oceania Marina in a few weeks. I think Oceania is part of the Carnival family, so I looked up which docking location it would be using. It turns out it is Mahogany Bay. You can check the port's web site to see if you're scheduled to dock there, and how many other ships will be there with you. I think the site is http://www.roatanisland.net/mahoganybay.htm or else portofroatan.com but I forget which. Just make sure you're looking at the correct port (M Bay or Coxen Hole). It looks like Holland America, Costa, Oceania, and of course, Carnival use M Bay, but as with most ports, there are sometimes surprises if the port authority needs to move ships around!

Oh, just googled a bit and here's link (though it looks like you'll have to cut and paste) to the port schedule: http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/port-schedule.aspx

Hi des07 - I used to live in Oklahoma City! (NW 74th St.)

Susi - from what I've seen, Princess docks at both Coxen Hole and M Bay, though perhaps that's just if things at MBay are filled up! In any case, if you're going anywhere by taxi, I hear that taxi drivers charge more to pick you up in Coxen Hole, so it isn't a bad place to come into. I don't know if there's a beach near by, though - don't think so. There are public buses, though, if you're adventuresome. They go to West End. I found the info on them from the Ports section of cruise critic.

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review. We will be on Oceania Marina in a few weeks. I think Oceania is part of the Carnival family, so I looked up which docking location it would be using. It turns out it is Mahogany Bay. You can check the port's web site to see if you're scheduled to dock there, and how many other ships will be there with you. I think the site is www.roatanisland.net/mahoganybay.htm or else portofroatan.com but I forget which. Just make sure you're looking at the correct port (M Bay or Coxen Hole). It looks like Holland America, Costa, Oceania, and of course, Carnival use M Bay, but as with most ports, there are sometimes surprises if the port authority needs to move ships around!

Oh, just googled a bit and here's link (though it looks like you'll have to cut and paste) to the port schedule: http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/port-schedule.aspx

Hi des07 - I used to live in Oklahoma City! (NW 74th St.)

Susi - from what I've seen, Princess docks at both Coxen Hole and M Bay, though perhaps that's just if things at MBay are filled up! In any case, if you're going anywhere by taxi, I hear that taxi drivers charge more to pick you up in Coxen Hole, so it isn't a bad place to come into. I don't know if there's a beach near by, though - don't think so. There are public buses, though, if you're adventuresome. They go to West End. I found the info on them from the Ports section of cruise critic.

This review is a couple of years old, so the people you are responding to may not be around CC now. ;)

• 7 months later...
We sailed the November 29th cruise on the Legend and visited Mahogany Bay in Roatan, Honduras on Friday December 4. According to the locals, we were the third ship to visit since it opened. Weather was beautiful, sunny, and in the mid 80s. A far cry from the deep snow and sub zero temperatures we are experiencing since we returned home!

The ship was in great shape and we would not hesitate to sail her again. Crew very friendly and the food was great. Several reviews have already been posted by others of the ship. This review will focus on Carnival's new pier and beach in Roatan.

This will be a rather long review with a lot of pictures, so bear with me as it will take time to post it all.

PC048291a.jpg

Above is what you will see when approaching the new pier.

PC048287a.jpg

There are two piers, so two ships can be in port at the same time.

PC048286a.jpg

The new beach area is easily visible from the ship. We had three adjoining balcony cabins on the port side, so has a very good view. The ship "backed in" to the port.

My son-in-law and I debarked as soon as the ship had clearance, so were some of the first off the ship. After walking through the entrance shop, there is a very large shopping area. Not all of the shops were open yet and some were still under construction.

PC048266a.jpg

PC048260a.jpg

The above was one of those not open yet. Those that were open included Diamonds International (of course), Pirana Joe, Fat Tuesday, and some of the typical cruise port shops you usually see. I didn't see anything unique, as far as shops go. Inventory in the shops I did go in was a little sparse yet. A T shirt shop that I grabbed a T shirt at did not yet have working cash registers or bar code scanners, so everything was done by hand. Clerks all spoke very good English.

More to come.............

Cruisetobeaches, Thank you for sharing, I really like your review and I am looking forward to going to Roatan, Honduras:cool:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

We did an NCL Spirit cruise in 2011. During our stop in Roatan, my wife and I wandered over to Mahogany Beach which is right next to the pier. We got wrist bands (not sure what they cost) and walked down to the beach. Spent the day there and had a great time. Was it (is it) restricted to Carnival passengers only? No one asked us which ship we were from (there was also a Carnival ship in port.) Do they only enforce the rule if it's really crowded? Reason for asking: planning another cruise next January and would like to do this beach again.

• 3 weeks later...

Some friends and I are doing a Western Cruise on The Carnival Valor Oct 3rd thru 9th 2016 ...We are looking for an all inclusive places in each port to hang out at for instance a Mr. Sanchos located in Cozumel..does anyone know of any places like this in Belize, Mahogany Bay/Isla Roatan or Costa Maya?