Carnival LEGEND at Mahogany Bay - Review LONG!

cruisetobeaches

My original plan was to check out the new port area and then go to West Bay to check it out. But, our time in this port was short and I decided to just chill out and relax. Four ports in a row tends to wear one down and this was our last port.

I'm predicting that's how we will feel too, especially since we've got a bunch of teens with us and its a short day. Personally, I'd prefer to go explore Roatan but being docked right at the beach gives us a great opportunity to each come and go as we please, which I'm sure will be much appreciated after 3 days of getting up early to tour together.

You captured it perfectly! We were at the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center on the Crown Princess on December 1. For passengers who want a nice beach, beach bar, and some shops, they need go no further. It's beautiful, comfortable, and free. But to really experience the culture and beauty of Roatan, we recommend going into the interior of the island.

Yes, yes... thanks so much for putting this together as so many have been waiting for info about this. Question...

So the magic chairs take you from the ship right to that beach? We have an independent excursion booked in Roatan and they have already told us where we need to walk to, but I thought it might be fun to fly over to where we need to be in those chairs. Will they get us a bit closer to where we need to be, or should we just walk it? Thanks!

PC048287a.jpg

You will have to walk the length of the pier thru the building shown at the fore front of this picture, along the S curved path behind the building and beyond the building to the far right of the picture to get to the "Magical Flying Chairs". Unfortunately they will be of no use for you to get closer to your excursion point :(. The ski lift basically is only to get to and from the beach area.

You will have to walk the length of the pier thru the building shown at the fore front of this picture, along the S curved path behind the building and beyond the building to the far right of the picture to get to the "Magical Flying Chairs". Unfortunately they will be of no use for you to get closer to your excursion point :(. The ski lift basically is only to get to and from the beach area.

That's kinda what I thought. Thanks so much for clarifying that! The walk to the independent excursion area will do us good... we will have been eating & drinking constantly for five days prior to that stop. :p

Edited by klmorg

Thanks for the great review and all of the incredible pictures!!

Just wondering how the new beach area overall (and snorkeling in particular) compares to Tabyana Beach?

The beach is very nice, but the snorkeling leaves a lot to be desired since this is man made and not an actual reef.

Yes, yes... thanks so much for putting this together as so many have been waiting for info about this. Question...

So the magic chairs take you from the ship right to that beach? We have an independent excursion booked in Roatan and they have already told us where we need to walk to, but I thought it might be fun to fly over to where we need to be in those chairs. Will they get us a bit closer to where we need to be, or should we just walk it? Thanks!

It will actually put you farther away...............

Is it possible to walk very far away from the large groups of lounge chairs to a more private area?

If you go back behind the cabanas and continue up the beach, there is another smaller bar with live music that is away from the larger crowd. It wasn't very crowded when we were there and bar stools are available right by the bar:

PC048184a.jpg

Or, go a little past the showers and there is a somewhat secluded group of chairs in mostly shade

PC048220a.jpg

Great photos, thanks for posting. Are there any restaurants in the port area I saw the bars but thought it would be nice to get some snacks along with my drinks.

That is one thing I didn't look for. I was pretty stuffed from breakfast, so wasn't hungry at all. I did not notice anyone eating along the beach, but it is possible that something would be available at the main bar area.

This looks just like the wonderful beach I visited last year on the Legend. I am sailing on the Dream in January and I am sincerely hoping that we will be stoping here. The beach was great and we spend $35 each to get there. Does anyone know if the Dream will be docking there?

This looks just like the wonderful beach I visited last year on the Legend. I am sailing on the Dream in January and I am sincerely hoping that we will be stoping here. The beach was great and we spend $35 each to get there. Does anyone know if the Dream will be docking there?

Since Carnival built this area, all Carnival ships along with the other CCL brands will be docking here (HAL, Costa, etc....)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love Roatan..been there twice...last time in Oct before they opened the new pier...question for you...the cabana's..what would one use them for? You mentioned they were $195 for the day...are these for someone who has flown into Roatan and then rented them for say a week or so? Sorry to sound dumb but I've never run into them before and I want to satify my curiosity :D

I love Roatan..been there twice...last time in Oct before they opened the new pier...question for you...the cabana's..what would one use them for? You mentioned they were $195 for the day...are these for someone who has flown into Roatan and then rented them for say a week or so? Sorry to sound dumb but I've never run into them before and I want to satify my curiosity :D

They are for use just for the day. Half Moon Cay also has them.

Cabanas give you a little more privacy, are air conditioned, and come with a few perks.

Mahogany Bay was neat to visit and is a nice place. But, when we go back, we'll probably not go there since the snorkeling is marginal at best.

HMC is another story. when we go back there, we will have a cabana again.

AHA..thanks for the reply...we've never been to HMC in all our cruises so this was a "new one" for me...we'll probably do our snuba excrusion..really enjoyed that one..could take the Sky Lift just for the experience and to look around, but probably not stay at the beach..again..thanks for all the pics...they were great..

I've read this thread about 6 times. The pictures are really getting me in the mood for the cruise(like I needed more help:rolleyes:). I'm thinking warm, and it is freezing here today, so thanks. I will be there in one month!!!!(Less than):D